I have a strat, and have only ever used 9s, but after a run to guitar center I look in my bag and see 10s. (Stupid of me not to check in the store)

I like to bend a lot, and play bluesier stuff. I really don't want to go back to guitar center today, so my question is will this be a difference that I can notice?
notice? sure. nothing you can't play. 10. it's the standard. man up and play with some heavier gauge and build your finger strength.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
notice? sure. nothing you can't play. 10. it's the standard. man up and play with some heavier gauge and build your finger strength.

.10s are the standard for gibson scales 24.75" guitars. fenders, ibanezs, jacksons and charvels with trems and a 25.5" scale are strung with .9s as a standard. Get your facts sorted. it makes the trem easier to balance and makes bending easier.
I never play with anything less then .10 gauge strings. If you play bluesy stuff, you probably want thicker strings for a fatter sound. Like Stevie Ray Vaugh played with .13 gauge strings. Thick ass things. Now that's not me saying playing with those. But a thicker gauge would probably do you some good. Build some finger strength.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Probably. That difference would be very noticeable to me because I've tried so many different gauges.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
It depends on your phrasing habbits and your tuning and how low you wear your guitar. I used to play 11 but changed to 9 because I want a wilde phrasing while wearing the guitar pretty low. If you use dropped tunings you have to adjust gauge up.
Why not try them out? It's all personal preference any way. I've only used 10's and 11's on my Gibsons. When I bought my strat last year, it came with 9's. I didn't even play it before I changed them out for 10's.
Give it a shot, you might like how they sound. It might feel awkward at first, but it shouldn't take that long to get used to, and who knows, maybe you'll like them better. If not, $5 bad investment and you'll know what to do next time.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Quote by omidmash

(a) that's sexist

(b) if anything 9 is teh standard. go look up sales figures for string brands, not to mention what most manufacturers string their guitars with

(c) there's no need to play with a heavier gauge if you don't want to

(d) gtfo

(e) you might get used to it and you might not. I like 9s for standard tuning with a 25.5" scale length.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, you'll most likely notice quite a bit of difference. I played with 9's exclusively ever since I bought my first guitar (they've all come strung with 9's from the factory). Then one day I bought a new axe and it came with 10's. Didn't really like them but played it anyway (a travelling guitar). After a while of playing on them I tried one with 9's and found myself waaaaay over bending, pulling strings off the fret board, etc.

I decided to keep the 10's on the travelling guitar for a while and see how it went.

I then bought another new guitar and it came with 10's. I like them a lot now, but I also like my guitars strung with 9's. I don't know if I have a preference at this point, but I feel more comfortable with 9's playing live.

I just bought a set of strings that are 9.5's. A 'tweener set, if you will. Haven't tried them but am excited to.

The worst case scenario is you won't really like the 10's but will deal with them until your next string change. By then you'll have gotten use to them a bit and will notice a big differene when you try 9's again.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
yeah i'mma try 9.5s on 24.75" scale guitars from now on. even for me 9s are a bit slack on that scale length
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of blues players use heavy strings. Stevie Ray Vaughan used, like, .40's on his Strat.

Go ahead and try something new, give it a REAL workout, and if you don't like them go back to 9's. Strings are cheap anyway.
thanks guys, i just did it anyway. More of me being lazy than a money thing, it seems pretty similar to me

edit: The new strings are causing some annoying buzz though, what would that be?
Last edited by qaz923 at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) that's sexist

I woudln't go that far dude. It's just an expression
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
OP, if you're comfortable with your current .09s then stick to those. There's no benefit to using a string gauge you're not sure about. For all the eejits who come on here posturing about how they refuse to use anything less than .15s on 28.6" scale guitars, someone who can play well on a regular .09 set on a standard scale guitar will always sound better and be more impressive than some dick with steel bars for strings who can barely bend up half a step without breaking their fingers.

Quote by smithmetal
Like Stevie Ray Vaugh played with .13 gauge strings.
For about five minutes. He kept using thicker and thicker strings because he'd break strings often. It was mostly because a lot of his gear was screwed up. Once he got it fixed up he went back to using .11s and .10s. For most of his career (at least the successful part) he was using a mixture of strings from a .11 and a .10 set.

Quote by DamagingExcess
I woudln't go that far dude. It's just an expression
It's sexist. Once upon a time 'nigress' was "just an expression". That doesn't make it okay.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by MrFlibble
OP, if you're comfortable with your current .09s then stick to those. There's no benefit to using a string gauge you're not sure about. For all the eejits who come on here posturing about how they refuse to use anything less than .15s on 28.6" scale guitars, someone who can play well on a regular .09 set on a standard scale guitar will always sound better and be more impressive than some dick with steel bars for strings who can barely bend up half a step without breaking their fingers.

For about five minutes. He kept using thicker and thicker strings because he'd break strings often. It was mostly because a lot of his gear was screwed up. Once he got it fixed up he went back to using .11s and .10s. For most of his career (at least the successful part) he was using a mixture of strings from a .11 and a .10 set.

It's sexist. Once upon a time 'nigress' was "just an expression". That doesn't make it okay.

Oh jesus christ why is every one so sensitive. A sexist comment would be "stop being a women and use thicker strings". To be sexist you have to actually think men are better then women. Just like saying the n word doesn't automatically make you racist, especially since I here people calling each other it as a stupid term of endearment at school
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by MrFlibble

Actually, SRV used thicker strings because he liked the tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgnHUTn52M
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by MrFlibble

+1

"Man up" implies men are better. which is sexist. Something positive can be sexist (or racist) just as much as something negative.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

"Man up" implies men are better. which is sexist. Something positive can be sexist (or racist) just as much as something negative.

I think you might be mixing up "sexism" with "invalidation". The term "man up" doesn't refer to gender as much as toughness. You could tell a woman, "Man up and make a decision already!" Doesn't mean she is inferior to man, it's more a statement of making less of her decisive prowess in a misguided effort to encourage her to improve.

Same here.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Man%20Up

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080109195133AArmHe9

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic43279.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/man%20up?fromAsk=true&o=100074

Lighten up Francis.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Jan 25, 2012,
yeah but it's the whole context of it all

look how many words with negative connotations are related to the female gender.

look how many with positive are related to the male.

i think it's worth bearing in mind, that's all.

plus i was mainly just trying to pour scorn on his idiotic post. in for a dime, in for a dollar and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fair enough. I can appreciate the effort.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?