Ok so as far as modded tube amps go I realize this is about as non impressive as they come. But i'm pretty happy with it in relation to what it cost.

Last week I bought a Version 1 Epiphone Valve Jr. 5 Watt, all tube combo amp.

It was only worth the 80$ i paid. The stock 8" speaker sounded pathetic, it buzzed at all volumes, and had absolutely no way of adjusting anything except the volume without hooking it up to a pedal. I have a few pedals, but I don't always want to have to use one. Also the preamp tube was on its way out, and made a high pitched rattling sound.

I found a local guy who does amp mods and repairs. For 100$ he did the following:

-Installed a DC Filament which drastically reduced the buzz
-Installed a tone control knob which made the amp actually useful
-Installed an 8ohm output jack so i could hook up an extension cab, while retaining the option of using the stock speaker to make it portable.
-Replaced the preamp tube

Then I found a guy who was selling a 2x10 peavey cab for 150 bucks. I talked him down to 80, because i'm a prick like that.

At the end of the day it's still nothing special, but it has a wonderful sound for a studio or practice space, and it only cost 260$ all in.

I'm uploading a sound clip to youtube, but my internet is slow so i'll edit it in when it's done.

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
nice
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mike_oxbig

Then I found a guy who was selling a 2x10 peavey cab for 150 bucks. I talked him down to 80, because i'm a prick like that.

In Ottawa? *is amazed*
Quote by &baconstrips
In Ottawa? *is amazed*

you think you're amazed, lol. i didn't even make the offer, i just asked if the price was negotiable. he said i could have it for 80 if i picked it up asap. guess he needed some crack or something.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but can't you get the Vox AC4TV8 for $200. It has an extension jack, attenuator, tone........knob.............

I just don't like the VJ. But cool mods!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but can't you get the Vox AC4TV8 for $200. It has an extension jack, attenuator, tone........knob.............

I just don't like the VJ. But cool mods!

it's about 250 at long & mcquades here
basically the same as what i modded this into, except i got a 2x10 with this for roughly the same price.
Quote by stepchildusmc
I forgot to post the sound clip...the upload failed because my modem is a POS and lost connectivity half way through, so i just got around to re-uploading it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JcLLeDbvk

I don't think my digital camera is gonna be very good at recording things anymore, the bass is a little too much for it.
Quote by stepchildusmc
hell yea, nice job.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks, i'm pretty happy with it. That was at half volume and 3/4 tone...it breaks up a lot more if you keep pushing the volume, but the mic in my camera couldn't handle it
Quote by stepchildusmc
Man I've wanted to find an old VJ and mod it forever, but every one I see for sale is either already modded, or the guy wants way too much for it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
There's a version 3 on my local craigslist for 140$, which isn't actually a bad price considering the version 3 upgraded a lot of the things that made modding these amps necessary instead of something to do for fun.

You should be able to find one for cheap. its not like they cost much when they were brand new.
Quote by stepchildusmc
That's what I mean though, I want one specifically to mod, for the fun of it. And I'm not gonna buy one for $100 when they were what.... $125 brand new?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Just something to think about. You know those things have big enough trannies to take an extra 12AX7? Keep modding my man, keep modding.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification