Poll Options
View poll results: Cops in School?
Yes
50 38%
No
82 62%
Voters: 132.
Page 1 of 4
A retired vice-principal from the Sir Wilfrid Laurier Schoolboard is working on a plan to make Quebec high school students and their teachers feel safer through greater police visibility on campus.

Christopher Roblin is launching the "Kid Kop Foundation" to raise funds for the estalishment of small police offices in high schools across Quebec, notably those that are known to have particular problems with intimidation and other violence. Police officers would be assigned a high school on their territory that they could visit regularly while on neighbourhood patrol and not just when there's a problem called in to 9-1-1.

Roblin says the police officers he's spoken with would welcome the opportunity to get to know youths without the encounters being negative.

He says it would also send the signal that police are never far way and that a school is protected.

Thoughts? I'm not sure I like this idea.

Original Article: http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10340575

Bigger article, but it's in French: http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/journaldemontreal/actualites/education/archives/2012/01/20120124-055800.html
Last edited by Rising at Jan 24, 2012,
Kid Kop Foundation would be waaaay cooler if they made children police officers.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I have never seen the need at the schools I've been to, but I've heard about some schools where there have been worse conditions but nothing really serious...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I'm in middle school and we have 2 cops. If you get in a fight you get arrested.
you're a stone fox
The schools in my town have been doing this for years.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Is school in Quebec that brutal?

I mean, we had pot and alcohol in high school, but that's practically a prerequisite.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I like that idea, there were cops visible in both my high school and middle school (Florida, USA.) Sometimes, quick responses are necessary
My God, it's full of stars!
My school had a cop because some Asians drove in with a machete and started chopping another Asian.
Yeah why not if you're into that whole police state thing...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My dad is the cop at my old high school.

He didn't start until my sophomore year and we never had a cop the year before it was a shit show. once my dad started working there was a significant drop in fights and other shenanigans.
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
I'm all for having a school bouncer (he breaks up fights and keeps an eye out for kids doing sketchy shit), but a cop is one level too far.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
There was a cop at my highschool, but he was not in uniform, didn't carry any weapons, and really all he did was talk to people and sit around (supposedly watching the security cameras all day.

He was a pretty cool guy though. I see him out actually being a cop in uniform sometimes, and he still remembers who I am.
There's already something like that at my school (I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada). They stop by every once in a while to make sure everything is fine. I don't see what the problem is.
Quote by Dirge Humani
There was a cop at my highschool, but he was not in uniform, didn't carry any weapons, and really all he did was talk to people and sit around (supposedly watching the security cameras all day.

He was a pretty cool guy though. I see him out actually being a cop in uniform sometimes, and he still remembers who I am.

Quote by Kakatara
My dad is the cop at my old high school.

He didn't start until my sophomore year and we never had a cop the year before it was a shit show. once my dad started working there was a significant drop in fights and other shenanigans.

Looks like we got a couple narcs.
you're a stone fox
Quote by zincabopataurio
There's already something like that at my school (I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada). They stop by every once in a while to make sure everything is fine. I don't see what the problem is.

This is about setting up office and establishing a ubiquitous presence.
Quote by darkcheef
Canada trying to copy big brother America
> Implying Canada isn't part of America
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
after i left my first high school they put up security cameras ****ing EVERYWHERE and brought in a second on site cop, who i was told was a psycho **** that inexplicably sat at my friends' lunch table and tell them why she had a scar on her face.

they also had a retarded policy that if you were caught sleeping or even put your head down on your desk you'd have to take a drug test.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
after i left my first high school they put up security cameras ****ing EVERYWHERE and brought in a second on site cop, who i was told was a psycho **** that inexplicably sat at my friends' lunch table and tell them why she had a scar on her face.

they also had a retarded policy that if you were caught sleeping or even put your head down on your desk you'd have to take a drug test.

What even the ****? "Sleeping? Must be on drugs!"
you're a stone fox
I've had a cop in everyone of my schools. I've seen no problem with it.

Also if a guy walks into your classroom and starts shooting a gun, do you really want to hide under a desk while you wait for the cops to drive over to your school?
I think it's a good idea. We had a police officer at our high school in the last two years of me being there and she was a big help in a lot of ways. It was an inner city school that had a reputation for violent activity, so having a police officer around was great.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
No. We had three consecutive bomb threats when I was a sophomore in high school, and all the system did was hire a dwarf to roam the halls and take down any would-be intruders.

Seriously, though, no one f*cked with Gary.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I live in Québec and there's a cop car in front of my school every day anyways so.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
No.

I mean, come on, these kids are in High School and whatever happens there is a lesson to be learned.

If some of these kids are ****ed up enough to walk around with a knife or other weapon and decide to use it, the single cop cannot do a single thing.

Either you'd need a whole team of cops or nothing at all. That being said, compared to the many High School stories I've heard on here, Québec's one seem normal, with some exceptions of course, but these exceptions do already have proper security (metal detectors, cameras, etc).
Had fuzz at my high school, they never bothered anyone, never broke up fights but carried his gear at all times. I don't think it's a good idea unless there is a certain degree of responsibility that needs to be held in regards to the kids and staff.

inb4copnadia
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
All the schools I went to had cops on campus all day. It just made it quicker to arrest students since there wasnt a chance for anyone to run.
I wasn't aware that there were any high schools that DIDN'T have a cop assigned to them. And it's pretty stupid not to have one. 2000 - 3000 teenagers packed together in one place, often times many of them criminals or gang members, you're gonna have problems. A consistent police presence would only make things safer for everyone. I went to a few different high schools and every single one of them had a cop. And I saw things happen in all of them were the cop being there prevented a bad situation from becoming serious or dangerous.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
I don't understand why this would be a bad thing.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
There was a cop at my high school. He was a pretty cool guy. I don't see any reason NOT to have a cop stationed at a high school.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
There was a cop at my high school. He was a pretty cool guy. I don't see any reason NOT to have a cop stationed at a high school.

Well I don't see any reason to have a cop stationed in the first place. This is Quebec, not Afghanistan... things aren't that bad.
I think there's a cop in every middle school and up in America.
It's a bit police-statey for sure but seeing as kids don't have any
rights in America in the first place-and that the entire public school institution
is run in a completely totalitarian fashion, as well as regimentally based on 1920's
sweatshops-they can't really protest it, and if
they did I'm sure it would be pleasantly ignored.

The cop at my school isn't bad though. Having them there as part of
the school kind of builds a sense of familiarity so they're not like
the typical cop busting teenagers and being a weiner face. They're there
more as a precautionary reaction to the high-school shootings that have happened.
But since those are such rarities they usually just walk around, make small talk
and watch the cameras and deal with the usual drug alcohol stuff.

Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by muffinduck01
I don't see any reason NOT to have a cop stationed at a high school.

Yeah, and I don't see any reason not to have a security camera in every room of every house either?

Police states are silly.
Quote by Kensai
Yeah why not if you're into that whole police state thing...

Something told me someone would jump to the "police state" conclusion. I expected zoot though. I'm disappointed in you kensai.

Quote by DarkTom666
No.

I mean, come on, these kids are in High School and whatever happens there is a lesson to be learned.

If some of these kids are ****ed up enough to walk around with a knife or other weapon and decide to use it, the single cop cannot do a single thing.

Either you'd need a whole team of cops or nothing at all. That being said, compared to the many High School stories I've heard on here, Québec's one seem normal, with some exceptions of course, but these exceptions do already have proper security (metal detectors, cameras, etc).

Right, like serious crime doesn't happen at high schools. high school kids walking around with knives? Lulz, boys will be boys!

OT: Don't see why one cop roaming the school is a bad thing. key word here is "deterrence".
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Page 1 of 4