so... i figured y not post this here? i haven't searched for hockey forums anywhere but maybe someone here can help me.

looking for a pair of hockey skates for rec playing/skating. trying to keep it around or under $150. gotta fit pretty tight for maximum control (I'm a skier so i'm used to having boots fit real tight).

i'm currently looking at either the bauer vapor x 2.0 and 3.0

any thoughts?
You can also go the used route and get a nice pair that are already broken in. Haven't played hockey in a few years so I don't know much about skates anymore.

Quote by genghisgandhi
Can I ask a question too?

How long will it take me to go from an intermediate skater to a competent enough skater to play pick up hockey with guys in their 40s?

Eh I don't know if there's a number for that. Do you play on any teams as it is?
Last edited by CaptainRon at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by CaptainRon
You can also go the used route and get a nice pair that are already broken in. Haven't played hockey in a few years so I don't know much about skates anymore.

This is what I did. I got some no name brand that look like they've been to hell and back for $50. They feel great though.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Can I ask a question too?

How long will it take me to go from an intermediate skater to a competent enough skater to play pick up hockey with guys in their 40s?

Intermediate implies that you are beyond what is considered competent enough to play pick up hockey.
i'd rather buy new and have them broken in to my own feet. i see issues with people all the time with ski boots (i work at a ski shop). i'd much rather spend a little more on a skate that i know will fit my foot the way i want it to fit.

another question, after trying some on, i've noticed that the fit around the foot feels somewhat loose. is this just the way the skate is going to fit?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Intermediate implies that you are beyond what is considered competent enough to play pick up hockey.

You're using a different scale then me. Intermediate in central NJ is like retarded-tier beginner level in Canada. Like I can skate around competently enough, but I can't hockey stop or do cross overs.
Quote by genghisgandhi
You're using a different scale then me. Intermediate in central NJ is like retarded-tier beginner level in Canada. Like I can skate around competently enough, but I can't hockey stop or do cross overs.

You're like on the same level as a 5 year old. At best.
Quote by andrerist
i'd rather buy new and have them broken in to my own feet. i see issues with people all the time with ski boots (i work at a ski shop). i'd much rather spend a little more on a skate that i know will fit my foot the way i want it to fit.

another question, after trying some on, i've noticed that the fit around the foot feels somewhat loose. is this just the way the skate is going to fit?

I haven't ski'd in a really long time and haven't been on the ice in 4 years

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150

You can try asking there. I don't think there are very many hockey players or skaters for that matter on UG.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're like on the same level as a 5 year old. At best.

I picked up right hockey stops right away but it took me a good chunk of time and one day I thought to myself wtf why don't I do this on my left side. And so I did. Crossovers? Better get skating around them five circles, Genghis.

Edit: I've always had a good stride, supposedly because my dad accidentally signed me up for figure skating lessons when I was 5
Last edited by CaptainRon at Jan 24, 2012,
I shouldn't think you'd need anything too fancy for rec league. probably find some nice bauers for under 150$ or you could go all out and snag these:

... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Cross the border and find a Canadian Tire, they will fit you and find a good pair for you.
EDIT: dammit ninja'd
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I would honestly pass on the Bauer X2.0, they may look nice but they're very cheaply made. For pure recreational purposes I guess they'll do you adequately, but don't expect optimal comfort or performance. The X3.0 or X4.0, even the One60 or One30 are all a HUGE step up IMO.

Another solid option (also slightly above your price range) is the Graf Supra 370, great skate for the money. Probably one of the best in $200 and under range. Also check out the Reebok 6K or 7K, they tend to fit fairly tight around your ankles.
are there any goalies here?
i played ice hockey goalie for my younger years (7-13), and am currently 19. i stopped playing due to budgetary restraints but now am looking to get back into in a rec league here at uni.
just wondering if anyone has any preferences on goalie gear (RBK has the flat face pads, Vaughn has the knee-roll pads, etc)?
i'm looking into getting a set of Bauer SupremeOne100 pads/gloves
just wanted to know if anyone prefers the other types, and why?
picking up skating is all going to depend on how much time you spend learning, getting ice time can be a bitch if you don't have access to a full time rec rink.

make sure you practice all aspects of skating too, don't be able to stop on only one side, make sure you can skate backwards doing crossovers in both directions, practice doing lines, alternating which side you stop on, the sprinting will help you build leg muscle quick, the fast starting and stopping will help your stability/agility.

some 40 year old rec guys take it really seriously, a lot of them are bitter they never became something so they like to take their regrets out on each other, that's just a heads up.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Last edited by Carswell98 at Jan 24, 2012,
so what is the deal with baking? i've been reading a lot on it but I'm not familiar with the process. will basically get have the skate form to my foot?
Quote by andrerist
so what is the deal with baking? i've been reading a lot on it but I'm not familiar with the process. will basically get have the skate form to my foot?

Yeah, it'll help with the break in process. Foot cramps from breaking in skates ruins days. If you can find a pair of Grafs on your budget, they get my vote, best skates I've ever owned, been with me for 6 years now playing competitive hockey.

Genghis, for playing pickup, remember to practice other skills as well. If you can make it up and down the ice without falling at a decent pace, you should be fine. It'd be gravy if you could shoot, pass, and stick-handle.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
^ Graf's are the best IMO hands down.

I'd recommend lower end skates if I knew any. I've only skated on Graf's since I was 14.

Check out something like hockeygiant.com, look for the lower end Bauer or CCM's.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON