Poll: if your mom was a fan of your favorite band would you look at them differently?
Poll Options
View poll results: if your mom was a fan of your favorite band would you look at them differently?
Dude it'd be awesome if my mom was into my kind of music!
20 23%
I'm not gonna lie, i'd look at my favorite band differently..maybe less cool then I thought
4 5%
I wouldn't have any reaction; don't care.
17 20%
I listen to a lot of depraved, hardcore shit..so it'd be baffling if my mom was a fan of that stuff
8 9%
Meh, I don't listen to music to rebel against mommy and daddy. i'm not 12 anymore
22 26%
There has to be a generation gap; listening to the same music as your parents is just embarrassing
0 0%
Dude, why are you hating on your mom? you sound like a douchebag OP
15 17%
Voters: 86.
your mom was an avid listener and played their music tirelessly?

I ask this because my mom suddenly turned into an eminem fan and bought all his CD's. Now I haven't really been into eminem since like 7th grade, but I just found it bizarre that she would suddenly become a fan of his. what could a 48-year old woman possibly relate to in eminem's music?
My mom introduced me to the majority of music I listened to throughout my childhood and teen years, and we've seen several bands like KoRn and Disturbed together.

so no, not at all. She even knows Protest the Hero, Periphery, BTBAM, and Veil of Maya because I talk about them and go to the shows a lot.
doesn't matter to me. My mom's a ramones fanatic, and I love them.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
No funny poll option.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
I already like the same stuff as my parents, classic rock/metal. I was born in the wrong era.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Well I don't like any of the music my mother plays tirelessly.

But I probably wouldn't blame it on that fact. I just don't like her music.
My mum likes to play Polish polka music. I'll gladly welcome her to play the wonders of glitchcore and experimental.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
My mom hates most of the music I listen to. So it's highly doubtful that would ever happen. But if it did, I really wouldn't care.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I already like the same stuff as my parents, classic rock/metal. I was born in the wrong era.

^^^^This. A Thousand Times This.

Also, I love your avatar
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
I like the some of the same as my Mom, Led Zeppelin, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin to name a few. No I wouldn't give a care, but I'm old so that would make me a massive douche/loser if I did I think. Me and my Dad had nearly identical music tastes except he didn't like any Metal
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Jan 24, 2012,
My mom teaches confirmation so there's no chance of her getting into Modest Mouse anytime soon. Some of Isaac's more philosophical "no God, shit happens" lyrics made her cry once, I wish I could remember which ones.

Real talk.

SFosterS
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Jan 24, 2012,
I dunno, if my parents listened to what I listen to now I wouldn't know about it anyways. Don't talk to them and only see them a few times a year. Mom commented on liking Boards of Canada when I left the CD playing in my car and she rode in it during Thanksgiving weekend.
What can you relate to in Eminem's music, TS?
What can you relate to with any rap music (this excludes people like Wiz and Mac who just rap about weed...)?

Anyways, my parents likes all the music I listen to except rap.

EDIT: ^^If modest mouse made her cry play her some Odd Future. I'd recommend Hodgy's verse in Sandwiches.
Or Earl by Earl Sweatshirt
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by vanhailin
What can you relate to in Eminem's music, TS?
What can you relate to with any rap music (this excludes people like Wiz and Mac who just rap about weed...)?

Anyways, my parents likes all the music I listen to except rap.

EDIT: ^^If modest mouse made her cry play her some Odd Future. I'd recommend Hodgy's verse in Sandwiches.

I don't even try anymore and it still happens like three times a month. One time I just said "I don't give a shit about Octomom" and it worked.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
My mom doesn't listen to music in general. But my dad and I like a ton of the same music, so neither of us minds when the other is using the stereo!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
My dad and I overlap on some classic rock preferences but he tends to favor the things from that genre that I can't stand and vice versa.
lol i just don't see my mom buying a veil of maya cd but if she did i wouldn't mind her playing it in the house a bit
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by anvil is god
I listen to prog, my parents listen to Barry Manalow. I would love it if they gave my music a chance.

My mum listens to Karnivool, Deftones and Periphery amongst others, its great, she buys half the CDs I have on my iPod
When i was a kid my mom would learn popular songs and sing along to them when i did just to piss me off.
Knowledge is power
Years ago my mum wanted to know why I liked Metallica so much and watched Some Kind Of Monster when it was on tv. Her response was just "haha, they're all gay."

I would totally change my attitude towards my favorite band if somebody I knew started listening to them. No way am I going to tolerate that we have the same tastes.

Eminem is my favorite band too.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
It would kind of annoy me if she did, just because my mom likes to overplay a few songs by every band she listens to, so I'd probably get sick of hearing 2 or 3 songs over and over again.

My mom likes Eminem, (and some other rappers too).
37N
Quote by neidnarb11890
No, I'd just think my mom was super awesome.

But you listen to weird music.

I found out my mom is more partial to At the Drive-In than Beau Navire, slightly OT.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 25, 2012,
If my mom listened to My Bloody Valentine, that'd be awesome.
I got my love for music from the 50's, 60's and 70's from my parents, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a similar taste in music. The only way it would be awkward is if she overplayed music I like, which she has (surprisingly with eminem as well). That gets a bit annoying.
Quote by a_7_x
What do most of us relate to in Eminem's music?
that's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
except for a dream and a fucking rap magazine
who post pinup pictures on their walls all day long
Idolize their favorite rappers and know all their songs
or for anyone who's ever been through shit in their lives
til they sit and they cry at night, wishing they'd die
til they throw on a rap record, and they sit and they vibe
we're nothing to you, but we're the fuckin' shit in their eyes

Thirteen year old me says come at me bro