Poll: Les Paul: like better with or w/out pickguard?
Poll Options
View poll results: Les Paul: like better with or w/out pickguard?
Pickguard
47 42%
No pickguard
48 43%
Neutral on the matter
17 15%
Voters: 112.
Which do you prefer?

I think LPs should have the pickguard.
I think it looks better and serves a good function.

My only LP (Robot) doesn't have one, ironically.
with pick guard
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Some I like with, some without
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i mostly prefer without, but the les paul junior ones look a little too bare without one
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I don;t have a problem with how it looks, but I don't like playing with one. Pickguards on LPs just never felt right to me.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
No pickguard if plus top.
Pickguard if plain.

That's the answer.
Personally I don't think it serves a function on an arched top guitar (my hand never comes down toward the body after a strum), but it looks cool.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I think pickguards serve a good function protecting your guitars finish. It also looks awesome
Aesthetically speaking, no pickguard, unless it's a cream colored one on a Black Beauty. As for the practical use, that's up to you to decide.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Some I like with, some without

This. I generally say that plaintops/finishes with plainer tops tend to look better with the pickguard.

Mine doesn't have it on though and looks like this. I like my pickguard shadow as well. I am considering putting the poker chip back on though.

Last edited by Duv at Jan 24, 2012,
I have a les paul but it tragically does not have a pickguard. I've learned to like the look of it without though.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Depends on the finish.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top that has a clear Pickguard... It looks so cool. If it was cream or black, I wouldn't put the pickguard on, but since it's clear... WOW. - That was cool.

The pickguard wasn't on it when I bought the guitar and I just assumed it was black, the Les Paul has gold hardware and is red, with black pickup rings, so I just assumed black pickguard... So when I was told it was clear 'after I paid for it'... and saw it once the case had came to me 'they kept it in the case' - finding out the pickguard wasn't cream or wasn't black and blended so well with guitar 'because it was clear', was one more reason out of many, that made me love that guitar. I actually do have the pickguard on and; I think it looks better on with this guitar, but... Only because the one I have on my Custom Shop model is see-through/clear.

I'm usually like 'NO pickguard' though, when it comes to Les Pauls, usally.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 24, 2012,
Depends on the finish. I like solid colored finishes with a pickguard, flamed tops without a pickguard, and burst finishes can go either way depending on the color. That's just my opinion.
if the guitar is brand fricking new, take the pickguard off, or it'll shadow ^^ as seen above.
that is if you can see wanting the pickguard off in the future...
If its old enough to the point where its worn in a bit (or alot) then leave it on...

If its off, I leave it off....I left it off my Les Paul, and I like the way it looks with it off...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
i strongly dislike les pauls, but god this one is sexy and mainly because of no pick guard:

Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pickguard, always.

EDIT: ^Actually, after that photo I change my mind. Pickguard on natural finishes, no pickguard on solid finishes.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by Acϵ♠
i strongly dislike les pauls, but god this one is sexy and mainly because of no pick guard:

Mine is the black beauty edition...3 humbuckers, inlay on first fret space also, blocks rather than crowns...

its only an ibanez, dont tell anyone....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I think any bursts look a lot better with one, but any LP with one colour on the body looks fine with either.
Originally Posted by sam b
Just grow you hair, then wet it and it'll look just like a mop like that
Quote by King Donkey
Pickguard on natural finishes, no pickguard on solid finishes.

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
i always prefer les pauls with the pickguard but tbh, not having a pickguard wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. if it has one it has one, it it doesn't it doesn't, it doesn't make any difference to me personally.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I prefer them with a pickguard most of the time... but if it has a flamed or quilted top, it might look just as good and maybe better without it.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Pickguard always. A Les Paul just looks wrong (and horrible) without one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like both... generally, a solid color with a pickguard, and wood grain without. I put a clear PG on mine because I didn't want to hid any of the wood, but wanted to protect the finish.

I like the pickguard on my goldtop. I wish my white studio didn't have one though. As others have mentioned I don't think it does anything to protect the guitar. I've never come near hitting the finish with a pick.
Quote by philwhite
I like the pickguard on my goldtop. I wish my white studio didn't have one though. As others have mentioned I don't think it does anything to protect the guitar. I've never come near hitting the finish with a pick.

On very flat tops I can see how it could protect but not on Lesters.
I like them either way generally, but with a lot of solid colors I highly prefer a black pickguard.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Pick guards only on gold tops, looks classy
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Clear pickguard ftw. Best of both worlds...pretty much.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame