Alright so I'm mostly a righty. I can use my left hand for lots of things, and I write neater with my left hand. But it's lacking in the drum department. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty good and it's competent, but not as competent enough for me.

When I use my right hand for example on the snare and just hit it harder on the 3rd beat with smaller notes on the rest, it sounds fine and competent. But when I do it with my left hand, it's not as good and I use my arm a lot. I have slowed it down a lot just doing the same thing, and using a lot of wrist instead of arm. But it's frustrating.

I know to make it better I have to practice, but what do I practice?

halp.

Hopefully this makes sense, as I'm mainly a guitarist.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
With drumming, I think it's just play what you want to play until you can play it. To train my left hand, I just played reversed. So if I were to play a normal beat, I'd play the high-hat with my left hand, and snare with my right. It seems to work.
Slow it down and do it exactly as it should be. Do this for a while until it feels natural. Then just try to speed it up a little. You said you've done that, well, just do it more. Make sure your left hand's technique is the same as the right.

Also, +1 to the above, play with your left hand on the hi-hat. If playing 8th notes, accent the beat strongly (ONE and TWO and, etc...). Try playing along to Back in Black open handed, or something similar.
That is why I'm learning to play drums as a right handed person even though I'm a lefty. It is kinda tricky but I can manage, I mean that is the way I learned how to play guitar.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Switch your drumset around lefty style like me!!!

jkjk. I think the OP implies you are not ambidextrous. In that case, I would like was said above; start playing with your left hand on the hats and right on the snare, etc.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by S0n1c '97
Switch your drumset around lefty style like me!!!

jkjk. I think the OP implies you are not ambidextrous. In that case, I would like was said above; start playing with your left hand on the hats and right on the snare, etc.

The OP implied I'm mostly ambidextrous

I'm just struggling with the technique.

And I shall take all these things into consideration. Thanks guys.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
L
LL
LLL
LLLL
LLLLL
LLLLLL
LLLLLLL
LLLLLLLL
LLR
RLL
LRLL
LLRL
Etc...
It's all about repetition and learning to control the stick properly with the weaker hand, remember you're only as good as your weaking limb.
Something I have started doing is a really long sheet of different stickings, I'll see if I can write a few down.

It'll go something like this (In 8th notes):

RLRL RLRL
LRLR LRLR
RRLL RRLL
LLRR LLRR
RLRR LRLL
RLLR LRRL
RRLR LRLL
RLRL LRLR
RLLL RLLL
LRRR LRRR
LLLR LLLR
RLLL RLLL
LRRR LRRR

Play all of them twice each (2 bars) then go on to the next one.

(There are more but they are mostly just combinations involving RLRL followed by the various patterns above )

Play this as a continuous exercise at something really slow like 40-50bpm, just cycling through them over and over again. Then when it sound even and feels comfortable take it up by 2 bpm at a time, and just keep gradually increasing in tempo.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Last edited by Skinny91 at Feb 7, 2012,
^That's good stuff, I +1 all of it, especially Rlrl Lrlr (and the opposite Lrlr Rlrl). I find that's a good one to practice repetitively.

Also, some exercises that have personally helped me would be:

Lrlrlrlr
lrLrlrlr
lrlrLrlr
lrlrlrLr
LrlrLrlr
lrLrlrLr
LrLrlrlr
lrLrLrlr
lrlrLrLr
LrlrlrLr

As with anything, do them slow until you can play them from memory with proper dynamics etc., then speed it up. I usually do each for a minute then go onto the next.
Last edited by Steve08 at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by Beezerk
The George L Stone book Stick Control is also a must, cheap as chips and a must own for drummers wanting to progress their hand speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-George-Lawrence-Stone/dp/1892764040

i actually had this book around somewhere, but i lost it and im kinda pissed off now
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence