I'm thinking about selling my Twin Reverb Reissue and buying the Deluxe Reverb model. I love the Twin Reverb, but there are a couple problems with it. Mainly it's too big in size and power !! I love the sound of tube amps and this was my first tube amp. Normally you think a bigger amp would mean bigger overdrive and gain, but the twin does not break up or warm up easily. And when it does it's harsh. Plus, it almost never leaves the house cause of it's size and weight. And you have to get it pretty loud before it warms up, at a low volume the sound is cold,thin,and sterile. But I love it's amazing cleans and reverb. I play mostly blues,classic rock and country. And maybe some jazz. But usually when I want a clean, I want a "warm" clean for like blues. So, is the Deluxe Reverb just like the Twin Reverb, but smaller?? I've played them in the store and like them other then the fact they don't have a mid adjustment. A friend of mine had one who I jammed with once and it seemed to be powerful enough to not be drown out by my twin. I'm a big fan of tube overdrive and using a pedal just as a clean boost to naturally overdrive the amp rather than use it to fake overdrive.
Thanks
Last edited by asdaven at Jan 24, 2012,
this is probably the most common amp sub out there. I know a ton of guys who ditch their old twins because they simply just can't carry the things anymore. Although i don't completely agree with everything you are saying, because you can control a lot of great qualities about twins, i love the way mine breaks up and the volume it happens at, but that is just me. i have a 71 twin, a buddy of mine has a 76 and they are completely different, in my opinion the twin reverb is the snowflake of the amp world, never the same thing twice.

but back to your point, i think you will love the deluxe. i want to get a deluxe myself to go along with the twin because i want a 1x12 for recording and just for convenience. i think they are great amps and can take pedals really well, especially OD (of course). you are on the right track, there really isnt another amp out there that is pretty much a twin reverbs' second chance than the deluxe.

have fun!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Deluxe Reverbs are nice. I love mine.

They break up at house safe volumes and take pedals well. Nice cleans but enough attitude when you crank them up a bit.

I've not played many twins/played one for that long but I'd say the character of the amp is a little different, not necessarily a mini-twin. The DRRI seems to have a slightly more compressed sound to me which I like and is perhaps not as chimey as the twin. Might be down to the greater headroom on the Twin. I don't know, I'm no expert.

Either way you'll like a DRRI I'm sure.
I'm mainly just making sure I'm not downgrading too much, it seems to have quite a bit of power. I just want something with playing gigs in mind. I've seen bands with Deluxe Reverbs so I'm sure they're plenty loud. I can't get the Twin to warm up to me for some reason while the Deluxe does. With any tube amp to me, the volume needs to be at least at 3.5 to start getting the tone I want. A lot of blues is played on tube amps with that clean tone right before breakup. This is like at volume 5. At this point on a Twin, it's just too loud for a basement or small venue like a bar. This is more of an issue than portability, but that would also be nice. It would nice to be able to go up to volume 10 also and still be practical. I know there's also the Super Reverb and the Vibrolux. I like the sound of these but I prefer the bottom end of a 12" speaker over the smaller 10" speakers. I think Fender used to make a 40-45 Watt model with 2-12" speakers. Might have been the Pro Reverb. But as far as new amps with less power , my choices are the Fender Deluxe Reissue or the Hotrod series, which I don't think I like as much and are less authentic. So, if the Deluxe is enough of a powerhouse and is not just a practice or recording amp, I think it's the obvious answer for me. Does anybody have any problems not having a Mid adjustment on the amp? I heard it's like a Twin but with the mid stuck on 7? I use Monster Rock cables, which increase mids. Should I swap them out for Monster Jazz cables?
Last edited by asdaven at Jan 24, 2012,
well when it comes to the twins, at least for mine, its all about manipulating the channel volume and the master, and it's not easy. i spend hours working on my tone, and i change it the next day, just how i am. but i get a lot out of working hard for my sound, i can't afford to sound like shit, that's just the reality of the music world. twins tends to cut through the mix a lot, especially if you are using some sort of boost, but most of the time it's not an issue if you can tweak your settings just right, and it's not easy. the problem with something like the super reverb is thats a 4x10, that's in a way going in the opposite direction. if you are looking into all these vintage and reissue amps, don't waste your time with something like the hot rod. the HR is great for people who like fender tone but are really sure what they want and are just average joe players, i used to have the blues reissue. but they eventually just don't cut it, i would stick with the deluxe. as far as the mid situation goes, i think it would only be a real issue if you were playing stuff that has a bit of an edge to it, rock stuff etc. my teacher at school and a lot of other jazz guys use the deluxe a lot, along with other great amps, but the deluxe is a really good jazz amp. i like having a mid adjustment but if it wasn't there i prolly would make due, cause i keep it roughly around 7 unless i scoop it. i think the answer will be solved after you just play around with it for a bit, try utilizing the tone knob on the gtr too, a lot of players tend to knock that out of the equation but it can get you out of a jam real easy.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Here's another option for you to try. You can stick 6V6's into a Twin and they will break up at much lower volumes. You'll want JJ's for that particular job. They'll normally work even without a rebias. If it doesn't work for you take them out and keep them as spares for the Deluxe.

And please - use paragraphs. That was painful to read.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gerraguitar - I find a lot playing that the musician himself is the biggest critic. Yes 80% of playing is skill and many good guitar player can sound good on even the cheapest/ crappiest guitar/amp setups. But, it's easy to become very anal about a setup. Generally I shoot for a Stevie Ray Vaughn type sound but I find that I have my own preferences as well.

Well, sounds like I might be getting the Deluxe Reverb. I love the twin in general but its just too big and too much headroom. The Deluxe is only 22 Watts but I understand that tube Watts are more powerful than solid state Watts. I have a 65 Watt crate solid state combo amp. Would you say the deluxe is more powerful than that? I hear some people changed out speakers on the Deluxe, what do they usually replace it with?
Thanks
What is the main difference in sound between an Alnico and a ceramic speaker? Sounds like some liked the stock speaker. I know Emercience makes speakers for some of Fenders amps. Any better than Jenson? Were Jenson the original speakers in the original 60's Blackface amps?
Thanks
Seriously, try JJ 6V6's in your Twin. That should get you the best of both worlds and cost the least. You'll effectively have a Deluxe with the option of returning it to a Twin if you ever find the need for it. What have you got to lose? If you end up buying a Deluxe you'll have spare tubes.
Just try it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Seriously, try JJ 6V6's in your Twin. That should get you the best of both worlds and cost the least. You'll effectively have a Deluxe with the option of returning it to a Twin if you ever find the need for it. What have you got to lose? If you end up buying a Deluxe you'll have spare tubes.
Just try it.

This +1

I am pushing 50 and can not understand why people think the Twin Reverb is too heavy to carry around. I have no problem loading it in and out of my hatchback car.
Quote by asdaven
What is the main difference in sound between an Alnico and a ceramic speaker? Sounds like some liked the stock speaker. I know Emercience makes speakers for some of Fenders amps. Any better than Jenson? Were Jenson the original speakers in the original 60's Blackface amps?
Thanks

Original Blackface Twin Reverbs had the Jensen C12Ns or sometimes Oxfords but I can't remember the model (in the catalogue they were just listed as "heavy duty speakers"). There was an upgrade available for J.B. Lansing D120F speakers for an extra $60. My first Twin Reverb had the J.B. Lansings but unfortunately was destroyed in the 1980s in a tragic loading dock accident at a theatre when it was run over by a truck.

The Twin Reverbs with the CTS and Eminence speakers were in the "silverface" or the AB568 circuit, I think that was the number. I hated my Silverface and could not get rid of it fast enough.

The first '65 RIs came with Fender branded Eminence speakers (I own one of these) but they now come with Jensen C12Ks which I think adds more low end to the sound. Describing speaker sound in words is kinda tough, but I think the Eminence in the older 65 RIs have more "bite" and take overdrive pedals better. I use a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive on the "4. Gain Boost" setting. I have also used the DigiTech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, the TS808 and TS9 but wasn't overly impressed with any of them for some reason they didn't give me my "sound".

http://jensentone.com/tone_chart will give you an idea of what the different Jensen speakers can sound like. The "Vintage Alnicos" might be a little low in power rating for a Twin Reverb and the C12Ks are considered "Vintage Ceramic Special Design Reissues".
Last edited by Quintex at Jan 26, 2012,
I don't think 6V6's are designed to handle the amount of power of 6L6's. The plate voltage is too high. Then, it might blow my new tubes or the transformer. Id probably be better off just trying it out by pulling 2 of my power tubes and running on 2. Ive heard of using adapters to run EL34's but not 6V6's.
Thanks-
JJ 6V6's will work. Here's some supporting evidence from the Eurotubes site:

"The JJ 6V6's are so robust that I have been using them in lots of amps including several of my Blackface Bassman amps and in my Mesa Dual Rec. By choosing the proper grade these can be run in the EL34 and have the best clean tone I've ever heard from my Dual Rec. They also have a deeper thump and breakup earlier than 6L6's do. I have over 100 customers now using the JJ 6V6's in their Fender Hotrod Deluxe and Deville amps with great success."

You can just plug 6V6's in and they will work, normally without even a rebias. No adapter needed just plug them in and go. The plate voltage on a Twin isn't a problem for a JJ 6V6.
6V6's are the best tube JJ make - they are as tough as nails and sound fantastic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 26, 2012,
I'm wondering if I should just go get my Twin biased. The bias is factory, I heard they can be biased anemically from the factory.
Couldn't hurt.

Let me throw some numbers at you because you seem unconvinced by what I am telling you.
The plate voltage on a Twin is in the order of 470V thereabouts
A JJ 6V6 can handle a plate voltage of 650V.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Is there something special about the JJ ones? I read that the transformer impedance might be a problem as well and even Deluxe Reverbs push 6v6s to their upper limit. Just don't want to fry the amp.
for what its worth, i swear by JJs as well, i have 6L6s in my twin
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by asdaven
Is there something special about the JJ ones? I read that the transformer impedance might be a problem as well and even Deluxe Reverbs push 6v6s to their upper limit. Just don't want to fry the amp.

Yeah, the JJ 6V6's are fantastic. Even if they didn't work (and they will) you won't hurt the amp, just the valves themselves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification