It's when he's playing a solo, he'll bend a note on 5th or 7th fret and then hell take his pointer finger and press a note down and itll make a sick sound then pitch changes.
I dont know what its called or how to do it

please provide examples/lessons/etc

thanksXD
Its a tap harmonic, and It happens when you tap the metalwire 12 frets up from the fretted note.
For example: if you're fretting the 7th string, you'd tap the metal wire on the 19th fret

EDIT: forgot to mention that you have to pick the string before the tap.
You can also lightly touch the string above the fretwire 12 frets up, then pick it, for an instant harmonic
Last edited by Thsoesbergen at Jan 24, 2012,
If you're talking about what I think you are, it's pretty easy. Basically, you just tap the fret one octave (12 frets) higher than the one your left hand is on. But make sure you pull your right hand back quickly, or you'll kill the note. One trick I've been told is to pretend that the fret is really hot, so you'll want to pull back before you get burned.

I don't remember for sure, but I think it works best if you tap the metal part of the fret that your normally goes in between. I'm pretty sure you can also do it with frets other than 12 above, 15 and 17 come to mind, but again, I'm not entirely sure.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
Quote by Kioshi
If you're talking about what I think you are, it's pretty easy. Basically, you just tap the fret one octave (12 frets) higher than the one your left hand is on. But make sure you pull your right hand back quickly, or you'll kill the note. One trick I've been told is to pretend that the fret is really hot, so you'll want to pull back before you get burned.

I don't remember for sure, but I think it works best if you tap the metal part of the fret that your normally goes in between. I'm pretty sure you can also do it with frets other than 12 above, 15 and 17 come to mind, but again, I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah that's exactly right. I was first introduced to this technique with the intro to "Mean Street" by Van Halen. It's quite easy to do once you get used to it and sounds pretty cool.

Quote by Thsoesbergen
EDIT: forgot to mention that you have to pick the string before the tap.
You can also lightly touch the string above the fretwire 12 frets up, then pick it, for an instant harmonic

Not for tap harmonics - just fret the note and tap one of the harmonic positions above it.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 25, 2012,
Has anybody done this successfully with harmonics that aren't 1 octave above the fretted note.

Bascially, tap harmonics that are at different harmonic nodes, such as; 4/5/7/9 frets above the fretted note.

I try these and it's very difficult to do. Do you just have to be very light with your finger or do you have to touch it in a very specific way?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat