The band I'm in have stuff we have recorded, but we can only do it through one simple microphone in my laptop, so you can hear what's being played and sung, but it's not crystal clear and sounds fuzzy, so what kind of microphone(s) would you recommend? Like, would I need a different microphone for each instrument?
And what kind of digital recording system would I need?
Or do I need a mixer?
Is there a way to play the song together, but record each instrument on separate tracks?
All we have is, our instruments, not so great amps and laptop and a small bedroom. There's a drum kit, bass, guitar and microphone.
Don't have much money either. so preferably the cheapest possible stuff.
Not specific brands though, and names, just what do I need?
What I think is, I'd need a a lead going from each mic for each drum, a lead from the singers mic, a lead from the guitar and bass as well. All going into different amps and then somehow have an out put lead from each amp to one big one, and recording it from that... As you can see, I need help :P

Bottom line is, I just need to know how to efficiently record from home on a laptop.

Thanks so much for your help!
Last edited by DarfBobbyJim at Jan 24, 2012,
you can pay for a good interface, a shit tone of mic, a mixer, good preamp, etc or you could buy a small recorder (i got mine for around 300$) it sound pretty good for the price. It won't sound as good as a cd quality, but still for 300 bucks you can still import it in your DAW and eq, compress, etc for a decent demo!
Last edited by truiteleague at Jan 24, 2012,
You wont be able to get a decent live recording on a small budget. I'd advice just buying a DI box like the focusrite saffire 6 then using free VST amps (there are loads of tutorials online for this.) The only issue will be the drums, to get a "good" drum sound you need at least 4 mics. Some of which can be rather pricey.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Cheapest possible and best possible quality will come from going to a project studio to record.

You'll pay $100-$200 for the day, and you'll get to work with someone who knows what they're doing (which you don't currently have), and who has all the gear (which you don't currently have.)

Unless you actually want to get into recording.... don't get into recording.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Cheapest possible and best possible quality will come from going to a project studio to record.

You'll pay $100-$200 for the day, and you'll get to work with someone who knows what they're doing (which you don't currently have), and who has all the gear (which you don't currently have.)

Unless you actually want to get into recording.... don't get into recording.

CT

This

With what you described, you could very easily spend $1,000. If you go to a small studio, you can get your songs recorded/mixed/mastered for a lot less than that.
The biggest factor, too, is simply the learning process and the time that takes.

Let me assume for a second that you are not a trombone player. You're doing a song that needs trombone, and you want it to be decent and you want it to be right.

Just because you have a trombone doesn't mean you can just fiddle with it over a couple of weekends and be able to do it. Like guitar, it takes years to get really good at it. The best possible solution is to hire a person to come in and do it. Unless you actually want to spend a few years learning to play the trombone. Right?

And yet people seem to think they can get a cracked version of Cakewalk, use their SoundBlaster card, and poke about for a few weeks and come out with a good sounding recording.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As stated, your not going to get good results with out spending the money and then you have to put the time into learning how to use your gear and manipulate it.

Go to a studio and pay a couple hundred dollars and they can pump out a demo in a day that would be far superior than anything you could do with the same money and time.