Hello. This is my first post here and i just wanted to see some opinions on which guitar strings are best for extreme bending. All my peers say elixirs and some say say D'addarios. But i say ERNIE BALLS! What do you guys think?
ADrax
What exactly is 'extreme bending'. I really wanna see this.

If it's what I think it is then almost all modern strings will do.

In terms of retaining brightness I found Ernie Ball's lost their freshness a lot quicker than D'Addarios. I currently use Pyramid roundcore pure nickel strings and they blow anything I've used before out of the water.
Quote by Duv

In terms of retaining brightness I found Ernie Ball's lost their freshness a lot quicker than D'Addarios. I currently use Pyramid roundcore pure nickel strings and they blow anything I've used before out of the water.

True, but some strings break a lot easier than others and by " Extreme Bending". I mean like SRV bending.
ADrax
Quote by ADrax
True, but some strings break a lot easier than others and by " Extreme Bending". I mean like SRV bending.

I've used a wide range of brands and I don't think I've ever broken a string in the last 7 years. I play a decent amount of blues and used to do some trem-stabation on my strat.

I personally think breaking strings, unless they're duds, is down to a poorly setup guitar.
Quote by ADrax

SRV practically used bass strings.
That's what you need.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
SRV practically used bass strings.
That's what you need.

John Mayer uses slinkys, and he bends the crap out of them. Yet I've never saw him break a string. Elixirs are alright too.
ADrax
Last edited by ADrax at Jan 24, 2012,
The thing about Elixers is that with the bending common on Electric guitar their still gonna be taken out by the metal fatigue, so the extra money you pay for extra life is a bit of a scam if you ask me.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm not a fan of d'd'ar'dio or elixir, def not a fan of ghs. Ernie ball reg slinkies work for me. If not, dunlop. I tend to get excited and strum heavy...without breaking strings. I'm tuned standard most of the time. imo
I haven't broken a string in ages either. I hate Elixers. The coating peels too easily. If it's a coated string you want get Black Beauties. I've mostly used D'Addarios and never had any issues with bending or breakage. Breakage I've seen has come from one of two things. 1) Burrs in the saddle or nut or 2) some people, like a friend of mine, have very acidic sweat which eats up strings. Often that happens at the saddle if you are palm muting a lot.
Ernie Ball loses their tone so much quicker than alot of strings ive tried. I use D'addario 11's. they last long time
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Any coated/titanium strings. Brands don't matter when it comes to this sort of thing; there's only so much you can do with metal and there aren't any particular secrets of manufacturering techniques that are exclusive to any one brand.

Bear in mind that these tougher strings will also cause more wear to your frets. They also tend to not sound as good, somewhat dulled.

Personally, I don't see much use in them. A pack of regular Ernie Ball strings costs what, £4 and I can have the same set on for six months without a string breaking. Hell I've got some guitars that have had the same strings on them for two years now. Bending, Floyd abuse, vintage vibrato abuse, never have a problem with any strings on any guitar. The only time I've had problems with strings wearing through, breaking or falling completely out of tune have been due to bad set up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Any coated/titanium strings. Brands don't matter when it comes to this sort of thing; there's only so much you can do with metal and there aren't any particular secrets of manufacturering techniques that are exclusive to any one brand.

Bear in mind that these tougher strings will also cause more wear to your frets. They also tend to not sound as good, somewhat dulled.

Personally, I don't see much use in them. A pack of regular Ernie Ball strings costs what, £4 and I can have the same set on for six months without a string breaking. Hell I've got some guitars that have had the same strings on them for two years now. Bending, Floyd abuse, vintage vibrato abuse, never have a problem with any strings on any guitar. The only time I've had problems with strings wearing through, breaking or falling completely out of tune have been due to bad set up.

Thank you, sir MrFlibble the great. You have taught me well
ADrax
Quote by Duv

I used to use Pyramid strings until I realized that I simply couldn't afford $20 a pack of strings. But they are great regardless.
Quote by al112987
I used to use Pyramid strings until I realized that I simply couldn't afford $20 a pack of strings. But they are great regardless.

Luckily they're a lot cheaper in the UK (though I have to buy in bulk to minimise delivery costs from Germany).
Every single set of Ernie ball strings that I have ever bought literally broke within one hour of stringing them up. I'm probably the most unlucky person in the world I guess, but I've been using dadarrios for a while now, and I have never broken a string from them.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Every single set of Ernie ball strings that I have ever bought literally broke within one hour of stringing them up. I'm probably the most unlucky person in the world I guess, but I've been using dadarrios for a while now, and I have never broken a string from them.

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by zincabopataurio
If you were breaking strings with such frequency then clearly something is very, very wrong with your guitar or how you are restringing it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I had the same issue with Ernies. They'd break the first session I played on them, and always different strings. I don't even use my tremolo much. That's when I went to D'Addario. That was back in the late 90s the last time I used them so I can't comment on modern EB strings.

I also disagree about all coated strings being equal. I know Elixir coat the whole outside of the string after it's wound, which is why they peel so bad. The Black Beauties have each strand coated and then wound. You still knock the film off after a while but it's in small flakes, not in big strips. Those are the only two coated strings I've used but the BBs are keeping much more film intact than Elixirs ever did.
Last edited by poppameth at Jan 25, 2012,
I've never not broken an EB string, I really don't get why anyone considers them acceptable.

I stopped using them about 9 years ago and haven't broken a single string since.
I've been using EB's for years. To me, they sound better than D'addario's. they're brighter and for longer in my experience. So i've never really had a reason to use anything else.

It doesn't make sense how people claim that a certain brand breaks more than others. If anything, its a mechanical problem with the guitar itself.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 25, 2012,
The only strings, guitar or bass, that I've ever broken have been D'Addarios. Usually they break in the first few hours. I've had Ernie Ball strings on one guitar that I hadn't played in almost a year and they sounded great when I took it out of the case last week.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I think it's like anything else you buy now. Defects are frequent. I don't see how you can blame the guitar when you use one brand over and over and have the same problem over and over, then switch to another brand and the problems disappear. For whatever reason that brand was not working for the player.
I have never had a problem with Elixers flaking. And i use em constantly.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Ernie Ball 9-42 Strings sounded horrible after 2 days. D'Adarrio's still sound good after a month.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I have never broken an Ernie Ball and they sound good for awhile, also they're pretty cheap. I love 'em. I use both the acoustic and the electric strings. I wouldn't use anything else.
Dude, just buy a set of strings from various brands and find the one you like the best, then stick to it!
It's been a while since I tried Elixirs. They could have changed the way they make them now. I don't use coated strings because I have no need of them. A friend of mine uses Black Beauties because he has the acid sweat problem corroding his strings in the saddle. Two weeks and he'll be popping strings because they are rusting. So far the BBs have been on there twice as long and show no signs of wear.