Soooo. I'm getting an American Standard 3 tone sunburst strat. Im getting a tortoise pick guard and gold hardware. I'm a strong fan of SRV and i believe his theory in "Less Paint, the more the guitar can breath." I would rather naturally relic it but i just don't have the time. Plus relicing for me also means having my own one of a kind guitar. I plan on aging the gold hardware as well. I want to get more of a matte look with some open areas and dings. I would also want the worn down looking neck too. I want it a little more heavy than the picture but the picture shows that non-gloss matte looking effect. **** I don't plan on taking all the paint off and starting from scratch...i just want to use like sand paper and some lacquer stripper.

Give me some tips on what you do and what will work best.

NO HATE

http://www.makenmusic.com/productImg/Fender_Strat_59RelicRW_R58445_3TSB_FrontBody.jpg
ADrax
Last edited by ADrax at Jan 24, 2012,
Tie it to a back of a truck and drive around for a while.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Tie it to a back of a truck and drive around for a while.

HAHA, good one
ADrax
Not going to happen, needs a nitro finish for it to wear like that. I'm pretty sure USA standards have poly finishes.

You are better off buying a body and neck from Allparts or Warmoth and finishing it yourself very thinly in nitro. Otherwise, you are going to be knocking off about half the value of a guitar for nothing but a very bad looking "relic" job that is not going to fool anyone into thinking it's an old guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 24, 2012,
Yup, MIA Standards have a poly finish. It's a thinner finish than the ones that the MIM guitars have, but it's still a poly finish. It won't naturally age anywhere near as quickly as nitro will and it's far harder to relic too. With poly your options become either live with it, sand a little bit off and it'll look crap (not 'aged' in any way or even properly matte, sanded poly always just looks like sanded poly) or strip it entirely. Of those, since the finish is a fairly thin one anyway half sanding it won't really change the tone or resonance. You'll need to strip the guitar completely to get a more lively tone out of it, and even then the difference won't be hugely noticable.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Smack it...a few times.

This.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?