I posted a while ago about looking for something with single coils, and I've finally found something that really piqued my interest. The guitar in question is a Gilmour-style strat from GFS (Xaviere brand - $180 new). I also recently found a similar (read: practically identical) Squier version ($120 used).

Which would be the better buy? I've never seen a Squier like this, so I'm not sure what model it is, etc. And I've never heard anything bad about Xaviere guitars.

Thoughts?
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by coolstoryangus
Is the squier in a shop or online? If you can try the squier i'd look into that..

It's online, but I could try it and return it if I don't like it.
My friend has an Xaviere Thinline Tele, and it plays amazingly. Better than any Squire I've ever put my hands on.
Quote by coolstoryangus
you aint had your hands on many squiers then kid.

+1
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Squiers often need a good setup, but then can be great. It depends on the model, what factory it was built in, and then there's luck.

Xaviers from what I hear are hit and miss, too. I don't know about their initial setups.

My Squier factory setup was so bad it had dead frets out of the box. It took a trip to the luthier and a neck shim to get it right, but then it was as good (playability-wise) as my MIA Strat.
Every cheap guitar needs a good setup out the box.
Saying that my squier classic vibe telecaster had the best out the box setup for a new guitar i've ever seen..
I have an Xaviere XV-580 (it's the double-cut Les Paul copy) and its a great quality guitar. The intonation was pretty bad when I first got it but I was going to get it set up anyway because I need at least .011s on a guitar with a 24.75 scale length. The pickups are really good quality and are actually used by a lot of people to replace the stock pickups on cheaper guitars. I'd say get the Xaviere unless the Squier you're looking at is a MIJ, Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe which I'm doubting it is at that price.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I have an Xaviere XV-580 (it's the double-cut Les Paul copy) and its a great quality guitar. The intonation was pretty bad when I first got it but I was going to get it set up anyway because I need at least .011s on a guitar with a 24.75 scale length. The pickups are really good quality and are actually used by a lot of people to replace the stock pickups on cheaper guitars. I'd say get the Xaviere unless the Squier you're looking at is a MIJ, Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe which I'm doubting it is at that price.

The only Squiers I'd avoid are the Bullets and the Standards. The Standard might be OK with different saddles. Unless it's the agathis body that makes it sound so crappy. Although the stock pups aren't great, it's either the wood or the hardware ruining the tone because it sounds just as bad unplugged. At least all the ones I've played. Shame, because otherwise it has the same specs as an MIA Strat, including 22 frets, a 2-point trem, and a 3-ply pickguard that's 100% swapable with MIA guards.
Well, I have to call the store later today to (potentially) put my order in. I'll make sure to ask the good questions about the model and whatnot beforehand. I'll report back later today.

Thanks, all!
I have a Xaviere XV-560 (think thinline les paul with P-90's), and a Squier CV-50 Tele. I love both guitars for different reasons BUT, the Xaviere took $200 worth of work to make it a great player. It needed a fret level and dress and a new bridge (original was slightly warped!). It plays amazingly well now and the tone is awesome. Great pickups.

On the other hand, the squier came setup perfectly from the factory and the frets were perfect. It plays great, sounds great, and looks great.

My opinion is that you would be better off with the squier unless you are willing to take a chance on the xaviere (it's hit or miss from what I've read and personally experienced) but as long as the neck is straight you can have a pretty great guitar if you want to put some work into it. BTW, GFS is great to work with and they even refunded some of my money due to the issues I found.
Time Guitars Inc-Prime Time; Warmoth Custom Strat; LTD MH-350NT; Xaviere XV-560; Squier CV-50 Tele; Gibson LP Traditional Plus; Fender American Deluxe Strat; Fender American Special Strat; Martin Acoustic; Silvertone Blues Master ; Kramer Focus
I'm gonna pass on it. The guy said it was an Affinity with a after-market pickguard. I keep looking for a cheap fix for this single coil GAS, but it wakes a turn south every time. I guess I'm just gonna have to save up for something worth my while.