Alright, I might be in a post rock band... some time in a distant future. And I would be (at least for a while) the only guitarist. Is it cheating to have something looped before hand.. as I probably won't be able to loop it live on stage. It would still be me playing, I would still play other stuff, not sit back and relax. I see it as the only possible option for me as 2 guitar parts come in at the same time in a song I might wanna play...
I don't think it's cheating..is it?
No........many bands use backing tracks if there's an electronic element or w/e they cant recreate on stage. They just play over it (albeit, the track probably only has said element).

From what I've learned.....no one in the audience, unless they're a guitarist, will know........they won't pay attention to it unless it's prominent.

EDIT: I know Coldplay does it quite a bit for songs where Chris is playing piano and acoustic. They normally have a track with the acoustic and play over it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jan 24, 2012,
i don't really see why not. Rush does it, and roger waters did it on the wall tour.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
I pretty instantly mentally downrate a band I see using prerecorded tracks but that's just my bias. I saw Ratatat live and I was pretty upset that they played 2-5 of the 200 tracks I was hearing, then again, it would take a full ensemble to reproduce some of that stuff.

I think it's fine, as much as it bothers me.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Nope. If you're the only guitarist then It would be better to loop chords since it would be pretty cheap to not do the difficult bit live.

Otherwise it's pretty cool to do it all by yourself as well. (you might wanna show yourself recording the loop)
Yes its cheating. Go buy a Mab double neck or gtfo.

Of course not. Unless your dragonforce with 10 guitar layers and 2 guitarists live.
Yes, I would of course loop the easiest/ less fun part. I could record the loops between songs or something. I feel like it isn't fair, but it's not like I won't be playing or anything, I just can't do it all at once and without some parts it would feel empty..thanks for the input.

I now realise my question was kind of dumb, but I still wanted other musician's opinions
Most people won't notice if you do it right, like if you pre record a solo that's not gonna work
Quote by simpro14.5
Yes, I would of course loop the easiest/ less fun part. I could record the loops between songs or something. I feel like it isn't fair, but it's not like I won't be playing or anything, I just can't do it all at once and without some parts it would feel empty..thanks for the input.

I now realise my question was kind of dumb, but I still wanted other musician's opinions

Here's what you should do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOoMWnLxHH4
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Les Paul got away with it. So did his wife. And they’re in the rock and roll hall of fame.
I think it depends on how and what you're looping. Pre-recording an entire song on a looper is cheating imo.
Quote by You Ruined It
Most people won't notice if you do it right, like if you pre record a solo that's not gonna work

I totally agree with you, Solo perform is not working