Hello!
I have a Line 6 Spider Jam 75w Combo amp, which is nice.
but! I very rarely play about 25% because well I play in my house, and even that can be heard outside quite clearly.
I was wondering, should I ditch the Solid state amp and get a clean amp with a distortion pedal?
I play alot of "Rock" and im not really into metal that much but I love me some RnB, Jazz and blues.
Opinions, thoughts? Recommended size of amp? should i pull of the whole Head+Cab?
1.)You should consider a new amp.
2.)no the spider jam is not nice.
3.)Planning to buy an amp with the intention to put a distortion pedal through it is stupid, find an amp that has a clean and dirt sound that you like built in it will sound better then a distortion pedal.
4.)Size is up to your space requirements and quite often budget requirements
5.)Read 311s stickyed thread copy and paste, add your info then we can help you find an amp.
Budget? - 500$ In the sense of selling my old amp.

Genres? - RnB, like rhcp, pearl jam, jimi hendrix. but also some good rock, GnR/Slash, Ozzy, Iron maiden. + Blues, Jazz.

New or Used? - Used, or new I dont really care.

Home or Gig? - Mostly home, but gig with my friends, talent shows etc.

Closest City? - Calgary, AB Canada.

Current Gear? - A don't be jealous. Yamaha Erg 121c, soon to be something else more professional but I lack the transportation's into the city to play some guitars.
Quote by coolstoryangus
1.)You should consider a new amp.
2.)no the spider jam is not nice.
3.)Planning to buy an amp with the intention to put a distortion pedal through it is stupid, find an amp that has a clean and dirt sound that you like built in it will sound better then a distortion pedal.
4.)Size is up to your space requirements and quite often budget requirements
5.)Read 311s stickyed thread copy and paste, add your info then we can help you find an amp.

I disagree- there are some great distortion pedals out there. A suggestion might be to get an amp with a nice bluesy drive channel, and then get a more modern sounding OD. You can use them separately, and then stack them for more gain. This is a pretty solid setup for guitarists who play rock and blues.

You might try a Peavey Classic 30, with either a Fulltone OCD or even a Boss OD pedal. Of course, it really depends on your budget.

Look around your local music store(s) for used tube amps. You probably want 15-30 watts, which will still be louder than you need for home use, but headroom is always good. Try to find one with either a heavier distortion channel you really love (something you like as a primary distortion, that has enough gain on tap for you), or look for one with a lighter overdrive/distortion channel, and then test it out with a standalone overdrive/distortion pedal. Make sure you like the clean/dirty sounds with your guitar, since whatever's in the store doesn't necessarily have the same pickup style/output, and then make sure it has the features you need (EQ for both channels, reverb, effects loop, etc etc).
And by something else, i mean along the lines of an explorer, epiphone or esp I dont really know.
Major Influences? Eric Johnson, Guthrie Govan, Slash, Eric Clapton, Gus G, What was of Randy Rhoads.
Quote by Guild King
I disagree- there are some great distortion pedals out there. A suggestion might be to get an amp with a nice bluesy drive channel, and then get a more modern sounding OD. You can use them separately, and then stack them for more gain. This is a pretty solid setup for guitarists who play rock and blues.

You might try a Peavey Classic 30, with either a Fulltone OCD or even a Boss OD pedal. Of course, it really depends on your budget.

Look around your local music store(s) for used tube amps. You probably want 15-30 watts, which will still be louder than you need for home use, but headroom is always good. Try to find one with either a heavier distortion channel you really love (something you like as a primary distortion, that has enough gain on tap for you), or look for one with a lighter overdrive/distortion channel, and then test it out with a standalone overdrive/distortion pedal. Make sure you like the clean/dirty sounds with your guitar, since whatever's in the store doesn't necessarily have the same pickup style/output, and then make sure it has the features you need (EQ for both channels, reverb, effects loop, etc etc).

I'm not saying distortion pedals suck or anything im just saying going for a strictly clean amp and running pedals through it isnt the best way to go about things if you want a distorted tone..
There is lots of great pedals but generally amp distortion will be nice. Overdrives can add a certain colour to the existing mapz distortion too so ya
Quote by GideonRichter
Budget? - 500$ In the sense of selling my old amp.

Genres? - RnB, like rhcp, pearl jam, jimi hendrix. but also some good rock, GnR/Slash, Ozzy, Iron maiden. + Blues, Jazz.

New or Used? - Used, or new I dont really care.

Home or Gig? - Mostly home, but gig with my friends, talent shows etc.

Closest City? - Calgary, AB Canada.

Current Gear? - A don't be jealous. Yamaha Erg 121c, soon to be something else more professional but I lack the transportation's into the city to play some guitars.

I would suggest the Peavey Classic 30, with an MXR Custom Badass '78. You should be able to do that for about $500, possibly a little less. The Classic 30 has a great drive channel, not a ton of gain, though. But the MXR pedal is a really solid, Marshall-y distortion, extremely dynamic, plays well with others, and as you roll the gain back, it works as an overdrive or even an almost clean boost. You can have a good clean/dirty rhythm/lead setup like that.
Also, not to be a bit a clingon (No reference) What guitars would you recomend to go along with this? I mean I like the heavyness of a les paul, but i dont have the money and I dont know if a body style should be worth my decision. I like as I said the rhcp and such so something pretty bouncy, but again I dont got the money for an american strat. No floyd rose or tremelo, well maybe a tremelo. but idk.
Considered a used Danelectro?
I record some funk stuff on a '90 single cut reiissue that was picked up for about $350AU a few years ago.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
You're in Canada so buy a Traynor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
@Cathbard - do you know any stockists in Victoria?

Been hearing great things about them but can't find anywhere to go and try one myself...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.