Page 1 of 3
I looked around the forum and was thoroughly surprised to not see a thread about this. Maybe I passed over it. I kind of hope I did.

If such a thread doesn't exist, I think it would be good to get a discussion going on here.

Your thoughts about Obama's address, and the Republican party answer from Governor Daniels afterwards?

*edit: edited the thread title.
*edited again for my failure to put correct titles on Governors.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jan 24, 2012,
I agreed with most things he said, it's just a matter of getting Congress to quit being geriatric, whiny, buck-passing, corrupt pricks.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
He said some really good things, and I was interested in his ideas on education reform and the job creation. But there were a few moments of "wtf?" with how he indirectly referenced SOPA and on what to do with Iran.
inb4 ethan derails this whole shit, regardless of what he says.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I'm not sure where I fall after hearing his speech. With elections coming up, I'm sure he sugar-coated most things, like any 'good' politician would do. I haven't done enough research yet to know what I want or want not to believe.

As far as Gov. Daniel's statements, I appreciate how he's trying to be the sobering force following the President's speech. However, I also think he may deliberately be opposing what Obama said because of the current heat between the parties, in an attempt to "fire up" Republicans and others who may just be more right-aligned.

*edit: And yes, I agree. Obama is a hell of a speaker. The girls in the room next to our made a drinking game: every time he paused, you take a shot. Of course they didn't go through with it, because they'd all be in ICU right now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Jan 24, 2012,
Centrist as expected, liked what he said though. He completely separated himself from all the other Republican candidates and secured a second term; he's on a completely different level.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by eGraham
I'm not sure where I fall after hearing his speech. With elections coming up, I'm sure he sugar-coated most things, like any 'good' politician would do. I haven't done enough research yet to know what I want or want not to believe.

As far as Sen. Daniel's statements, I appreciate how he's trying to be the sobering force following the President's speech. However, I also think he may deliberately be opposing what Obama said because of the current heat between the parties, in an attempt to "fire up" Republicans and others who may just be more right-aligned.

Daniels is not a Senator, he's the ****tarded Governor of Indiana.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by element4433
Centrist as expected, liked what he said though. He completely separated himself from all the other Republican candidates and secured a second term; he's on a completely different level.

I agree, after this address I think his re-election is inevitable. He knows how to play the cards.

Quote by zgr0826
Daniels is not a Senator, he's the ****tarded Governor of Indiana.

Damn, my apologies on the wrong title. Surprised I didn't catch that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by T.s.e
Say what you want about Obama, but he sure can hold a speech.

When the teleprompter is working properly.

All the guy can do is blame other people, he has never owned up to a single mistake, he has always blamed the Republicans for everything. I think he's really just a figure head and Nancy Pelosi is really running our country...explains why it sucks so much.
I liked the spilled milk joke he threw in there.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
I liked the spilled milk joke he threw in there.

I saw Boehner trying to not laugh at that one. I gotta admit, as lame as it was it got me, too lol.

I guess not many pit-goers saw the address tonight, eh?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by ethan_hanus

All the guy can do is blame other people, he has never owned up to a single mistake, he has always blamed the Republicans for everything. I think he's really just a figure head and Nancy Pelosi is really running our country...explains why it sucks so much.
What mistakes would you say he made?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I see two teleprompters in this video.

I honestly can't wait until the presidential debates and watch Obama get smoked. Any of the current Republican candidates can out-debate him, especially Gingrich.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by WCPhils
What a fag.

He's like 16 so it's okay I guess
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Barack Obama
'We got rid of one rule from 40 years ago that could have forced some dairy farmers to spend $10,000 a year proving that they could contain a spill, because milk was somehow classified as an oil. With a rule like that, I guess it was worth crying over spilled milk.'

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Jostry

I honestly can't wait until the presidential debates and watch Obama get smoked. Any of the current Republican candidates can out-debate him, especially Gingrich.
What's wrong with teleprompters? Every single politician uses them when making a speech. I guarantee Daniels used one.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Jostry

Quote by ErikLensherr

'We got rid of one rule from 40 years ago that could have forced some dairy farmers to spend $10,000 a year proving that they could contain a spill, because milk was somehow classified as an oil. With a rule like that, I guess it was worth crying over spilled milk.'

Thats awesome.
Quote by ethan_hanus

And what, other than discussing difficulty in passing legislation, did he blame on Republicans?

And get your ass up there and give a speech WITH a teleprompter, let alone in front of hundreds of people. Who cares if he memorizes it or not, giving a speech is 95% about delivery. The most well known orators in history are known not only for their words but how they spoke them. Next time you have to give a speech, memorize every word of it, but forget about delivery. Just speak with a monotonousness tone, no gestures, nothing. See what kind of reaction you get.
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by bradulator
He's like 16 so it's okay I guess

Yea, 16 year olds be stoopid.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by element4433
What mistakes would you say he made?

Everything. He hasn't put fourth a realistic adult budget in 3 years, plays political games to pander to his extremist base at the expense of the country, insults our allies, apologizes to our enemies about America being America, lies constantly, invests in stupid investments purely for political gains, ect. The list goes on and on.

Almost everything he says in his speeches, unless they are related to destroying or tearing down American traditions or business, is complete lies.

A goldfish could run the country better than he can, and that's giving him the benefit of a doubt.
Quote by element4433
What's wrong with teleprompters? Every single politician uses them when making a speech. I guarantee Daniels used one.

And Obama is the president that has used them more than any other president. It's not bad to use them, but using them too much isn't good either.
Quote by progdude93
Quote by ethan_hanus
Everything. He hasn't put fourth a realistic adult budget in 3 years, plays political games to pander to his extremist base at the expense of the country, insults our allies, apologizes to our enemies about America being America, lies constantly, invests in stupid investments purely for political gains, ect. The list goes on and on.

Almost everything he says in his speeches, unless they are related to destroying or tearing down American traditions or business, is complete lies.

A goldfish could run the country better than he can, and that's giving him the benefit of a doubt.

We got Tim Thomas here!
Quote by ethan_hanus

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by ethan_hanus

Can you tell me some of Obama's political positions?
Quote by Jostry
And Obama is the president that has used them more than any other president. It's not bad to use them, but using them too much isn't good either.
How is using them too much not good?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Jostry

You're gaining these statistics on Presidential teleprompter usage from...where?
Quote by spitonastranger
His what now?

Also this. Seriously. This.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Jan 24, 2012,
Quote by ethan_hanus

Rush Limbaugh gives you a hard-on, doesn't he?

The speech was good, but I'm sure we can look forward to another year of congressional gridlock on most of the things he mentioned. The republicans aren't going to risk improving his recovering reputation by giving him the ability to brag about fixing a broken congress and uniting the country. That being said, it doesn't really matter from an election standpoint. He's been polling at least 5 percent above all potential republican candidates, and that's before he's even started really campaigning. Just wait until his projected 1 billion dollars in campaign contributions come into play.

On the subject of his debating skills, anyone who thinks he can't out-debate Gingrich or Romney clearly didn't watch either the '08 election or any of the recent republican primary debates. Obama's been getting criticized by the republican candidates for using a teleprompter, so Romney's been trying not to use in in an attempt to seem like less of a hypocrite. As a result, he's shown his incredible weakness when it comes to both debates and giving speeches. As for Gingrich, he's great when he's trying to rally up a bunch of angry rednecks at a debate, but once he has to start appealing to independent voters, all of his venomous rhetoric will just make him look like a jackass.

Yes, I'm a liberal. Sue me.
Quote by Thrasher51
You're gaining these statistics on Presidential teleprompter usage from...where?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19663.html

Quote by element4433
How is using them too much not good?

Do you really believe he writes them? It means he can't speak for himself, and if they weren't there, there would be more pauses than George Bush.

EDIT - It also happened many times before where his teleprompters have broken down during a speech, and his speech stopped being so 'amazing'.
Quote by progdude93
Last edited by Jostry at Jan 24, 2012,
damn it, I missed it! Looks like I am going to youtube.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by Jostry
Do you really believe he writes them? It means he can't speak for himself, and if they weren't there, there would be more pauses than George Bush.
No. Every major public figure has speech writers. Bush did, Clinton did, Bush did, Reagan did. Romney does. Gingrich does. Etc. If the CEO of McDonald's makes a speech he has a speech writer.

That has nothing to do with teleprompters though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by due 07
Wait, people still think Obama is an extremist?

Only opposing extremists.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Jostry
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19663.html

EDIT - It also happened many times before where his teleprompters have broken down during a speech, and his speech stopped being so 'amazing'.

The only reason people use teleprompters nowadays is so they can give dramatic speeches without having to break eye contact with their audience. Presidents used to have their speeches with them on paper, which is essentially the same thing as using a teleprompter. And I've heard quite a few of Obama's speeches where he didn't use teleprompters, and I personally found them to be more enjoyable than his written ones. He's a damned good speaker, regardless of whether or not he has to think on his feet. Yes, he pauses more, but that's because he's formulating coherent ideas which he then flawlessly articulates. Sure, most of the things he talks about in his speeches don't get done, and he likes to use a lot of lofty language, but regardless of what you think of him as a leader, you have to admit that the man is a damned gifted orator.
Page 1 of 3