Poll: which one do you like to use?
Poll Options
View poll results: which one do you like to use?
The first tab you've shown
137 86%
The second tab you've shown
22 14%
Voters: 159.
Page 1 of 4
E---3
B---5
G---5
D---5
A---3
E---x

The above is apparently a Cmajor barre chord starting on the A string, the shape that is moved around for all major barre chords starting on the A string.

The below is what i have known as major barre chords starting on the A string

E---3
B---3
G---5
D---5
A---3
E---x

;___; wtf? Which way do you play it, the first tabbed way or the 2nd way?
I play it the correct way.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
You're just a terrible guitarist, aren't you?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
The first. Why are you so whack with chords? lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
The first. Why are you so whack with chords? lol

I know them on the low E string properly ( i assume ) so i moved it up one for the A. Seemed right at the time ;_;

edit: or more or less, cus adding on the middle note on the B string makes it minor, and i thought taking it away made it major. Same with the Amajor / Asus2 thread
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 24, 2012,
I play a c major if that's what you're asking, the second is a Csus2 I'm pretty sure.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
ITT: Zoot learns his first chord
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
You best be trollin'

Actually, no. Nick Cave sucks hairy testicles.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I've always played it right. Although I rarely play it with the high e, 'cuz **** the high e. Open chords are better anyway.
I play the first one because the second one isn't a Cmaj chord it's a Csus2/Cadd9. Normally the E is played on the 5th fret but when you play that D on the 3rd fret it becomes a Csus2 because you're playing the 2nd instead of the 3rd (D instead of an E)
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by due 07
I've always played it right. Although I rarely play it with the high e, 'cuz **** the high e. Open chords are better anyway.

how can you not play the high E?

Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
Couldn't you hear that it sounded different? It's obviously not a regular major chord.

Yeah but it sounded cheerful in its way and didn't sound bad so i thought it was alright to use.
Quote by Zoot Allures
how can you not play the high E?

By not picking the note?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by bradulator
ITT: Zoot learns his first chord

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by aCloudConnected
First way is the right way, second way has a D in it, with no third, so it's a Cadd9.
It's a Csus2. Cadd9 chords should have the third in them.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I know plenty of chords

E, E5, Em, E7, etc.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Zoot Allures
I know plenty of chords

this would be a much more believable statement if this wasn't your 3rd or 4th thread of this type

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
this would be a much more believable statement if this wasn't your 3rd or 4th thread of this type

Bah, i still prefer what i was doing >_> they sound good.

Edit: My singer is arguably worse than me, he plays the start of a song we have as C#min7 and Bmin7 , it sounds good and it's the way the song is but i remember talking to him about them, and i don't think he had much idea what they were other than 'C# and B man'
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by aCloudConnected
First way is the right way, second way has a D in it, with no third, so it's a Cadd9.

No.

Add9 chords are called that because they have an added 9th to a major chord. If there is no major chord to add a 9th to it just become a sus2.

Zoot. You need to start listening to what you're playing. What you were playing doesn't sound like a major chord at all. It sounds dreamy and stuff, major chords don't do that.
Last edited by frankv at Jan 25, 2012,
The second has a diminished 3rd so that isn't major, bro.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by frankv
No.

Add9 chords are called that because they have an added 9th to a major chord. If there is no major chord to add a 9th to it just become a sus2.

Zoot. You need to start listening to what you're playing. What you were playing doesn't sound like a major chord at all. It sounds dreamy and stuff, major chords don't do that.

It does sound different but it sounds nice and dreamy as you say. So i just stuck with it.
Oh wow. I'm in the same boat TS. Holy shit...mind equals blown.

I'm not really a chord guy though, I play mostly lead. I need to work on chords more, like I know all the obvious one and know how to play in tune, but still I could use some work, as this thread has reminded me.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Bah, i still prefer what i was doing >_> they sound good.

Edit: My singer is arguably worse than me, he plays the start of a song we have as C#min7 and B#min7 , it sounds good and it's the way the song is but i remember talking to him about them, and i don't think he had much idea what they were other than 'C# and B man'

you know a B# is a C right?

unless that's a typo, in which case I will shut my face
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by TSmitty6
Oh wow. I'm in the same boat TS. Holy shit...mind equals blown.

I'm not really a chord guy though, I play mostly lead. I need to work on chords more, like I know all the obvious one and know how to play in tune, but still I could use some work, as this thread has reminded me.

They sound all mystic and awesome though >.> i'm gonna keep doing it for the A string ones.

Quote by Carswell98
you know a B# is a C right?

unless that's a typo, in which case I will shut my face

Sorry it was a typo , i meant B.

C# and C would sound much weirder in context
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Meh. Up to you guys. I think Nick Cave's a boss and a half.
Whatever floats ones boat I guess, right?

no. Nick Cave rules. those kids are ****ing losers.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Um...

Given how many threads you've made about chord voicings, you may consider finding some lessons from a good teacher - after all, from this chord alone you learned a new voicing, it can't hurt anything, and it can help plenty.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Page 1 of 4