so yea whats a good koa wood acoustic guitar?
i know about the taylor which is way too expensive for me right now. i want a koa to take to college i have a low end taylor right now which i love so this koa would be something so i wouldnt have to take my taylor with me. i liked the cheap martin till i found out it wasnt real koa. i would love one with a cutaway but i can live with out it if i have to. from what ive seen my best bet is the dean preformer or exotica. but figured i would ask here.

budget wise i dont want to spend much more than $500
{[WD Punk]}
Last edited by WD Punk at Jan 25, 2012,
Good luck with that.

AFAIK, Dean, and any of the others in its price bracket are laminates of Koa Veneer over God knows what.
any koa guitar in your price range will be all laminate. that means an almost paper-thin koa veneer over an entirely different - and much cheaper - wood. it won't sound all that much like a koa guitar. the deans have the most muted and boxy sounding laminate guitars of any brand i've tried, btw.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
i knew they wouldnt be the quality of it. i figured most of the lowerend one would be just a koa top. so if thats my case what would be my best bet on finding something close tho a koa sound?

EDIT: and yea ive never been big on acoustic deans
{[WD Punk]}
Last edited by WD Punk at Jan 25, 2012,
Koa sound? Koa is somewhere in between Mahogany and Rosewood.

I'd say Mahogany is probably closer. But at this price point, it's not going to be solid wood, regardless.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
only full koa one i can think of in that range would be an ovation celebrity with a koa top. you can find those in a mid-depth which sound good in that range. with that you get the built in tuner( one more thing you wont have to pack and lose) and the ability to plug it in to a small amp if you wish. marilyn9500 on ebay usually has one hanging around and she's wonderful to buy from!
the celebrity koa is a laminate top model as far as i know...

btw, one of the reasons that koa is so sought after is because no other wood delivers its sweetness of tone.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
btw, one of the reasons that koa is so sought after is because no other wood delivers its sweetness of tone.
And to think, it gets wasted on so many ukuleles.......

Quote by Captaincranky

koa with a more dramatic pattern.

Quote by stepchildusmc
i was trying to find out what "figured" koa was.
Quote by Skeet UK
The original Koa Celebrity seems to be discontinued. However, Sears is showing this "Celebrity Deluxe", with a "Adamas" type sound hole: http://www.sears.com/ovation-celebrity-deluxe-cse34-fkoa-koa-top-mid-depth/p-SPM1962236101

MF shows quite an array of used: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ovation-cc24-fkoa-celebrity-mid-depth-acoustic-electric-guitar/583643005637011?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=1173045697#used

I've got a Koa ukelele -- it sounds awesome! Very harp-like ... I didn't realize what beautiful tone a good ukelele can have until I was given one!

My wife surprised me with it after going to Hawaii ("thanks for looking after our toddler while I endured a Hawaiian business trip!"). ... and before someone makes a clever remark about this, this is the same awesome woman who bought me a Larrivee for my 40th birthday ... a keeper for sure =^)
Quote by Steve BP
I've got a Koa ukelele -- it sounds awesome! Very harp-like ... I didn't realize what beautiful tone a good ukelele can have until I was given one!
Well, of course it does Steve. That's the sound it makes while channeling its Hawaiian ancestors, as they lament the death of another noble and majestic Koa tree.

Quote by Steve BP
My wife surprised me with it after going to Hawaii ("thanks for looking after our toddler while I endured a Hawaiian business trip!"). ... and before someone makes a clever remark about this, this is the same awesome woman who bought me a Larrivee for my 40th birthday ... a keeper for sure =^)
Here's where you've lost me. When you say, "keeper", are you referring the uke, the guitar, or the missus? Best 2 out of 3 maybe.......???

Anyway, I'd have held out for a, "My wife got an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii, and all I got was this stinking ukulele", tee shirt to go with it!

Trips to Hawaii can be indeed, arduous! Imagine the suffering the "Hawaii Five-0" film crew had to endure while filming a maudlin Hawaiian funeral in the surf. First and foremost, they had to contend with Grace Park on a surf board, in a bikini, with a fair amount of ass crack hanging out. Then there was the brilliant sunshine and the 85 degree weather. (No really, light with that high of a contrast is difficult to photograph). I'd like to think our dearly departed koa tree was looking down on this with a sense of whimsy, and smiling....

And Steve, thanks for your post. I can only assume you were playing the straight man, as it were, and you made my day......

In case it wasn't obvious in context....ROFLMOA
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 27, 2012,
Well, of course it does Steve. That's the sound it makes while channeling its Hawaiian ancestors, as they lament the death of another noble and majestic Koa tree.

=^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BP

Here's where you've lost me. When you say, "keeper", are you referring the uke, the guitar, or the missus? Best 2 out of 3 maybe.......???

I meant all three -- I'm a lucky man! And to demonstrate her sense of humour, she also bought me a "Black Sabbath for ukelele" songbook (honest! this book exists!) to go with it!

Trips to Hawaii can be indeed, arduous! Imagine the suffering the "Hawaii Five-0" film crew had to endure while filming a maudlin Hawaiian funeral in the surf. First and foremost, they had to contend with Grace Park on a surf board, in a bikini, with a fair amount of ass crack hanging out. Then there was the brilliant sunshine and the 85 degree weather. (No really, light with that high of a contrast is difficult to photograph). I'd like to think our dearly departed koa tree was looking down on this with a sense of whimsy, and smiling....

It was arduous for sure, having to escape a Canadian winter in February to go to Hawaii ...

And Steve, thanks for your post. I can only assume you were playing the straight man, as it were, and you made my day......

Yes, I was being a goof, but the story is still true!

Cheers Cap'n =^)
Quote by Steve BP
I meant all three -- I'm a lucky man! And to demonstrate her sense of humour, she also bought me a "Black Sabbath for ukelele" songbook (honest! this book exists!) to go with it!

I never doubted it for a minute! In fact, here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbath-for-Ukulele-Songbook/dp/B00474122K/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1327697200&sr=1-2-catcorr

Might I also suggest this as a companion book, "AC/DC for Ukulele"....: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Sales-AC-DC-Ukulele/dp/B003OM4HDC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327697318&sr=8-2

Two things. First, the nylon stings of the uke are going to hold you back from slapping a couple of humbuckers on it.

But more importantly, how would "wheel of Fortune be played in the Hawaiian language? Would you have to ask, "Pat, I'd like to buy a consonant".......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 27, 2012,
Quote by Steve BP
=^)

Well, Youtube is plastered with ukelele covers of rock and metal bands.
Sorry for the thread hijack, OP!

The Black Sabbath ukelele songbook is fun, but the people who wrote it didn't understand that this type of music demands power chords -- I wound up re-transcribing the songs into ukelele power chords to make the songs sound right (sounds bizarre, but it is true!).

Well, Youtube is plastered with ukelele covers of rock and metal bands.

I had no idea, prior to receiving a uke, that the metal-meets-ukelele subculture was so rich =^)

Enough Greensleeves, Old MacDonald Had a Farm and Aloha Oe -- I need to tab out some Opeth! There is something deliciously unholy about blending death metal and ukeleles =^)