There's a few parts that I feel might need tweaking, but overall I'm pretty pleased with this... But that doesn't mean I don't want others' input. C4C, of course.

And also.. There are a bunch of empty measures followed by 3 filled in at the end of the GP scores.. Those are just ideas I had while writing the song that I ended up not using.. I'm pretty sure I got them cut off the midi.

Anyway, yeh. Lemme know what you think and any suggestions you have!
Attachments:
A# enigmatic.zip
it might be the fact that I'm using gp6 for gp5 file but I think it sounded weird, not bad just different and I definately think others would like this
That was probably a bit too hectic for my tastes. Not neccesarily bad but hectic. Interesting stuff going on with the Koto/Shanai. The quiet bit at bar 50 sounded very similar to Tool's Schism. Bar 104 onwards was actually quite nice. I'm curious... What music were you listening to when you erote this?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by csensesfail92
it might be the fact that I'm using gp6 for gp5 file but I think it sounded weird, not bad just different and I definately think others would like this

Hmm. What exactly do you mean by weird? What was it that was weird about it?
Quote by Emperor's Child
That was probably a bit too hectic for my tastes. Not neccesarily bad but hectic. Interesting stuff going on with the Koto/Shanai. The quiet bit at bar 50 sounded very similar to Tool's Schism. Bar 104 onwards was actually quite nice. I'm curious... What music were you listening to when you erote this?

I love how Koto and Shanai sound together. And, I like how you only like the last 20 measures. ;]
Hmm.. As far as what I was listening to.... A bunch of Animals As Leaders.. Some Opeth, some Dream Theater, some randomly assorted technical bands (Aborted, Cattle Decapitation, Benighted, etc), At The Drive-In/Mars Volta/Fall of Troy. I listen to a bunch of stuff constantly though, so who knows what influenced the song. lol

Thanks for the listens and words!
I immediately thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYGcw6XCXg

I really liked a lot of the lead work, and the riffing fit well. I particularly like the section at 21. The Koto and Shanai sound is actually really interesting and fits well.

I thought that 48-66 could be shortened considerably, as it gets rather dry.

The riff at 98 seemed to be a bit too spastic and didn't seem to flow that well besides.

I liked pretty much everything else though, although you should add to the parts that only include Guitar. Add drums, bass, and make it a bit more wholesome. Also, you should probably clean up pieces before submitting the to the forums.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513146
The intro sounds like video game music, very interesting start, crazy and chaotic.
I think the drums need to be more mellow in parts. The guitars are crazy enough, crazy drums just over power it. Just a simple groove would have done the job.
The 4/4 5/4 6/4 section was also crazily strange.
Loved the jazzy 13/8 section, nice harmonics and chords.
That 15/16 riff is enough to make me go insane. And the next 15/16 riff was just bat shit mental as well.
Well that was odd and disjointed at the best of times. If it was tidied up, transitions improved and the drums reworked it'd certainly make an... interesting... song.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
I immediately thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYGcw6XCXg

I really liked a lot of the lead work, and the riffing fit well. I particularly like the section at 21. The Koto and Shanai sound is actually really interesting and fits well.

I thought that 48-66 could be shortened considerably, as it gets rather dry.

The riff at 98 seemed to be a bit too spastic and didn't seem to flow that well besides.

I liked pretty much everything else though, although you should add to the parts that only include Guitar. Add drums, bass, and make it a bit more wholesome. Also, you should probably clean up pieces before submitting the to the forums. Haha... I felt like a boss when I saw that Satch had a song using that scale, because I just played the intro lick and then used the scale finder tool in GP to find out what scale I was close to, if any. ;]

I'm actually glad you said that about 48-66. I had extended it out some because I played a really cool switchup of that riff/lick/whatever... But by the time I had finished typing that part into GP I forgot the other. :/ I also forgot to shorten the section back afterwards too. lol

Like the last part, I had an idea for how to use the riff at 96, but ended up forgetting it, and when I played the riff before it I was like "I could probably use it after this". lol I'm dumb.

As for only guitar parts, there's a few areas I want to use kotoshanai in, but am having a little trouble coming up with what to do.
Also, what exactly do you mean by "clean up"?
Quote by frankibo
The intro sounds like video game music, very interesting start, crazy and chaotic.
I think the drums need to be more mellow in parts. The guitars are crazy enough, crazy drums just over power it. Just a simple groove would have done the job.
The 4/4 5/4 6/4 section was also crazily strange.
Loved the jazzy 13/8 section, nice harmonics and chords.
That 15/16 riff is enough to make me go insane. And the next 15/16 riff was just bat shit mental as well.
Well that was odd and disjointed at the best of times. If it was tidied up, transitions improved and the drums reworked it'd certainly make an... interesting... song.
I can see how they're overpowering.. I'm a huge proghead so.. yeah. I guess it shows. ;]

Are "crazy strange", "go insane", and "bat shit mental" bad? :p
I'm a little confused on if you liked it or are just ripping it :p
Right away, I love the sound of the Koto and the Shanai. The tone of the instruments combined with the changing time signatures definitely sets up a busy, chaotic feeling like other people have mentioned. It sounds like you're using a weird scale there? It sounds like...not quite major, not quite minor. Really cool!

The riff that comes in at bar 13 is really cool but a little crazy for me. The section that begins at bar 21, however, is awesome, and the more cohesive feeling of that is a great contrast with the previous chaotic section haha. Ooh the Asian instruments are back! Man this sounds so cool again. Sounds like some awesome harmonies are going on underneath too Whole part reminds me of some kind of strange video game haha. Love the clean break, the bass part is really solid there.

Holy shit at the next riff. Haha, I don't know how to describe it other than absolutely insane. Reminds me of heavy BTBAM but somehow even more insane, haha. Love the riffing that comes in at bar 86, it actually grooves in a strange way. the 15/16 part was similarly crazy to the previous part XD The part at bar 104 made me almost want to laugh, it was pulled off really well though, just kinda had this dark evil circus vibe that made me chuckle. As did the next part with the alternation of clean and distortion. The melodic riff at the end was pulled off really well too

Anyways, I can see how some people would say this sounds way too chaotic and crazy, and honestly this kind of music is generally not my thing (I love my prog but I prefer it to be more consonant a lot of the time) but you definitely nailed the crazy vibe if that's what you were going for! My favorite aspect was the Koto and Shanai, the inclusion of those instruments added an awesome 'twisted video game' kind of feeling. Even though I probably wouldn't listen to this music very often, I think for what it was it was done very well Maybe a 7-8/10? Vocals and a proper recording would definitely add a lot to it though. Did you have anything in mind?
Quote by Garb
Are "crazy strange", "go insane", and "bat shit mental" bad? :p
I'm a little confused on if you liked it or are just ripping it :p

Hahah yeah I guess I wasn't that clear. I liked it, but you'd have to be in the right sort of mood to listen to this, it's just so chromatic and chaotic and unhinged.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Thanks for the crit mate.

The intro was pretty interesting, when the first proper riff kicked in I wasn't really sure what o think, and same up to bar 34, it was pretty wild, didn't really like some of the chords, probably just personal preference but I still thought it was pretty good.

But I really enjoyed the next few dozen bars, although not too sure about the lone guitar starting at bar 48, it just sounded a bit empty, even if that's what you were going for I don't think it should be like that. And I kinda thought the next section until the koto came back was just a bit of a mess really. Wasn't a fan of the next riff, but that's just me really, until the bar 98, I thought that was pretty sick although I couldn't really get a feel for the rhythm of it. And then again I thought the last section was a bit of a mess.

Is that supposed to be the end of the piece there? Coz if that is, then I think you should definitely work on that.

But yeah, interesting piece for sure, not quite what I listen to really but there's some good ideas in there, but some things I feel you should you work on still. Nice one
Alright. Well, I'm sorry this took so long, but it's here now.

Cleaned up some, and changed a little bit up...

I'm interested in knowing which version you all like better, so I've included 2 and 3.

The biggest difference starts around 1:08 or so of MIDI file, or bar 32 of the GP file.

Another change is the ending. 4:11, or bar 109.
Few minor changes throughout as far as panning and volume setups.
Attachments:
A# Enigmatic.zip
Writing as I'm listening.

Cool intro, the part after the intro is extremely hectic for me, but it isn't bad. Sometimes, people right stuff so technical that it just seems like a random flurry of notes to me, but that's not the case with your song.

The power chords with triplets part is really cool. Like it a lot.

The next part came in completely unexpected, even though I expected the unexpected. Pretty hectic, especially at the last part... didn't like it that much.

Bar 43 = wtf moment. Pretty kickass.

I like the part afterwards. Very nice idea to cool down a bit after all the crazy stuff.

Next part, crazy riffing. Too much for me. How are you ever gonna record this? :P I do like what you do with the Koto and the Shanai. The next two riffs transition really well.

Bar 104 is very original, I like it in all it's craziness.

Bar 120 and onwards didn't stand out to me at all.

Enigmatic is a very good title for this song, as it is very, very enigmatic, haha. Do note that although I like technical music, I never ever listen to the bands you listed in one of your previous replies and therefore I can't really comment that well on this piece, as I'm unfamiliar with the general sound of your song.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1521308
Yeah