I've got a pretty rippin Jackson KE3 but I wanna swap out the stock licensed Floyd Rose for something that will actually stay in tune when I go all whacky with the bar. I'm talking something that can handle some serious dive-bombs in every direction.
So my question is
1) Which bridge should I replace it with because there are so damn many to choose from.
2) How would I go about swapping it out?
Orginal Floyd Rose

Detune and change strings and replace the Floyd
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
^ Exactly what I logged in to post. Oddly enough, my name's Jeff and I listen to metal...

All irony aside, exactly what Jeff said. OFR is a direct swap with the Jackson Lo-Pro FR's. Only trouble I had with an old DK2 I did the swap on, was that my action couldn't go super low, however IIRC, I didn't change out the posts with the ones that came with the OFR. Long story short, though, buy an OFR for every guitar you own and don't look back. It's a pricey investment, but you'll never have an issue. Had one on an Ibanez for 8 years, it's gotten surface rust throughout the bridge and saddles and everything, and it still plays like it's brand spanking new. Best $200 you could throw into a guitar.
So if I swapped it out, would it still have the same awesome tuning stability as if the axe came with it? Assuming I have a pro do it that is
Quote by TheMetalRiffer
So if I swapped it out, would it still have the same awesome tuning stability as if the axe came with it? Assuming I have a pro do it that is

It's nothing you can't do yourself. Just remove the trem springs in the back and then lift the unit off the posts in the front. Replace the old posts with new ones that came with the new trem, and then put the new trem on. It takes like 2 minutes.

Also, word of warning - Just because it says "Original Floyd Rose" doesn't mean it is original. The ones you want to get are made by Schaller in Germany. They will have this stamped on the underside of the sustain block. You can get the real deal at Warmoth or at Carvin
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
It's nothing you can't do yourself. Just remove the trem springs in the back and then lift the unit off the posts in the front. Replace the old posts with new ones that came with the new trem, and then put the new trem on. It takes like 2 minutes.

Also, word of warning - Just because it says "Original Floyd Rose" doesn't mean it is original. The ones you want to get are made by Schaller in Germany. They will have this stamped on the underside of the sustain block. You can get the real deal at Warmoth or at Carvin

To add to this, I was always under the impression that you wanted to look for a certain patent number that was on OFR's only..? I bought two OFR's from Floyd Rose's website about 5-6 years ago I think, so that was my last experience with that. Not sure if anything's changed.
Quote by ARJeff
To add to this, I was always under the impression that you wanted to look for a certain patent number that was on OFR's only..? I bought two OFR's from Floyd Rose's website about 5-6 years ago I think, so that was my last experience with that. Not sure if anything's changed.

I've never heard of anything about a patent number since the patent is the same. The thing to look for is "licensed by Floyd Rose Patents" stamped on the tremolo. This means that it is not original, but a licensed by a 3rd party manufacturer.

While most of the LFR are pretty bad, there are some good ones - Ibanez Edge/LoPro/EdgePro, Ping Floyd Rose, Schaller LFR, Floyd Rose Pro...

Just because it isn't an "Original" doesn't mean its bad, you can tell which ones are better by feel. If it can flutter, stays in tune well and has a smooth feel, its good. If it doesn't it's bad and should be replaced by one that can do all of that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
So can an original floyd rose also be swapped out for a special?
Quote by stonyman65
I've never heard of anything about a patent number since the patent is the same. The thing to look for is "licensed by Floyd Rose Patents" stamped on the tremolo. This means that it is not original, but a licensed by a 3rd party manufacturer.

While most of the LFR are pretty bad, there are some good ones - Ibanez Edge/LoPro/EdgePro, Ping Floyd Rose, Schaller LFR, Floyd Rose Pro...

Just because it isn't an "Original" doesn't mean its bad, you can tell which ones are better by feel. If it can flutter, stays in tune well and has a smooth feel, its good. If it doesn't it's bad and should be replaced by one that can do all of that.

BS.

Out of all the "good ones" you list, I'll take the Schaller. If I had an Ibby, maybe the original Edge. Everything else is crap. "Feel" means jack and sh*t. Its about CONSTRUCTION, its about MATERIALS.

Any OFR copy or clone can work, for about the first year or so. Then everything starts going to hell, because of the crap materials found in clones.

There is a REASON why OFR and Schaller trems are $200+.

Use your brains people. Srsly. Look at any high-end guitar (i.e $1000+). How many Ping Floyds, Floyd Specials and Floyd Pro's do you see? If they're just as good, where the F are they on guitars like that?

Why doesn't <insert favorite guitarist here> use those FR clones!? They're just as good! /smack!

Quote by Mayu!~

Yes, but why switch to something thats night and day worse?
Quote by Mayu!~
Yes they are identical in dimensions/measurements and are a direct swap with one another.

Quote by ORCRiST
BS.

Out of all the "good ones" you list, I'll take the Schaller. If I had an Ibby, maybe the original Edge. Everything else is crap. "Feel" means jack and sh*t. Its about CONSTRUCTION, its about MATERIALS.

Any OFR copy or clone can work, for about the first year or so. Then everything starts going to hell, because of the crap materials found in clones.

Use your brains people. Srsly. Look at any high-end guitar (i.e $1000+). How many Ping Floyds, Floyd Specials and Floyd Pro's do you see? If they're just as good, where the F are they on guitars like that?

Why doesn't <insert favorite guitarist here> use those FR clones!? They're just as good! /smack!

Most all production guitars being made now at $2,500 and below that are being advertised with a Floyd Rose Original or OFR are actually the Korean FRT's not the Schaller's. You cant identify them anymore by the saddles since they are using squared or tapered saddles instead of just tapered ones. So to know for sure anymore you need to pull them off and look. I couldn't care less because they are both the same thing and have the same quality of metals, ones just OEM made in Korea and the other made in Germany.

I am pretty sure the guy asking about the Special is just wording it backwards unless he has a destroyed OFR and want's to buy a cheaper replacement.
nah I was just wondering cos I have a guitar with a licensed but wanted to get a special but there are different dimensions I believe depending on nut width (42 or 43). I was wondering how that works and if that goes for an original as well
Last edited by Mayu!~ at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by Way Cool JR.

Most all production guitars being made now at $2,500 and below that are being advertised with a Floyd Rose Original or OFR are actually the Korean FRT's not the Schaller's. You cant identify them anymore by the saddles since they are using squared or tapered saddles instead of just tapered ones. So to know for sure anymore you need to pull them off and look. I couldn't care less because they are both the same thing and have the same quality of metals, ones just OEM made in Korea and the other made in Germany.

This is correct. The way they are labeling them now is very misleading. Most of the OFR trems on standard production guitars no matter what quality level are the Korean models now which are considered the OEM models. Custom shop guitars may still have a real OFR. The way the license is worded allows them all to be labeled as OFR because 1) they are still made by Floyd Rose and 2) they are all OFR style tremolos. I think it's a very misleading way to do business. I tend to stick with Gotoh floyds now. You can often get themt at a better price and they are completely on par with OFR trems. There was a while when they were better than OFR since Schaller had some quality issues making the OFRs at one point not too long ago.
can anyone recommend a good place to order floyd bridges from (eu shipping plz) ? that might be good to know
on my wolfgang, it has the best liscensed floyd i have ever touched (excluding Ibbys here i have two different models, one on a 2570 another on a 3550MZ, two of the better trems anyways. i haven't had them long enough to make a judgement, although they feel very nice. now the trem on the PEAVEY wolfgang could survive a nuclear blast, about 10 years old, perfect,every time, used and abused. i tried to take pics, but my camera dosn't do small close shots well. i like OFR's though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ORCRiST
BS.

I know I am a little bit late, but do your research dude. Floyd pro's are German made upgrades from OFR's. I know this because I ordered one to replace junk lo-trs II on my Ibanez. The packaging and product said "Made in Germany", by far the best investment I've made guitar-wise. smooth as butter!
I always had good results with Schaller's Floyd Rose version. However, my guitar tech/luthier may be do something extra on his end in regard to setup... my guitars stay very well in tune with all kinds of whammy use.
As the owner of an OFR, I've gotta say it's the best trem I've ever used. That being said, I haven't tried all that many. I've played a licensed that had good tuning stability, but didn't have very good tone. the OFR has a lot of tonal integrity with the notes you're bending.