Hi guys!

I've spend the last month looking for non-active pickups and after reading/looking through all kind of forums, youtube videos etc. I still can't make a decision. So perhaps someone on the UG-Forum has some kind of secret hint.
Since I play mainly doom metal I'm looking for a medium/high output pickup, with good bass and mids, something like Bass: 9, Mids: 7, Treble: 4/5. Furthermore it shouldn't neglect the clean side, which I find really difficult with high output PU's.. :/
I somehow ended up with the DiMarzio Super Distortion as a bridge pickup and the D-Activator X as a neck pickup, but I can't decide if they would be a good choice.
As a reference, I really dig the sound of Black Pyramid ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6opYb6-0Ggc , at about 1:35). I have roughly 200$ for two pickups to spend.

I'm thankful for every kind of help and please excuse my English, it's not my native language.

Greetings
A super distortion or X2n would be good for bridge. For the neck, I would look at the Air Norton or the PAF. Neither of those are really high output, but they give you those smooth neck tones for soloing and things like that. Think Dimebag style leads on the neck pickup.

If you want active pickups I would recommend the SD Blackouts.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The air norton seems like a nice option. But can those pickups also produce this heavy, 'drone-like' distortion sound? Like in the Youtube Video I linked, I can't really explain it. sorry.

I'm still up to new recommendations.

Thank you!
Last edited by amathiel at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by amathiel
The air norton seems like a nice option. But can those pickups also produce this heavy, 'drone-like' distortion sound? Like in the Youtube Video I linked, I can't really explain it. sorry.

I'm still up to new recommendations.

Thank you!

That's just feedback dude. You can do that with anything.

Those pickups will be fine.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
wait wait wait wait wait........

wat amp do you have?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
wait wait wait wait wait........

wat amp do you have?

This is very important thing to consider.
conventional knowledge says BKP warpig but I'm quite partial to the GFS Mean 90
I have a Red Shadow Silvertube 100W. It's a hybrid, but does definitely sound more like a tube amp (without the high vol. drive of course
BKP PUs seem like a good idea.. problem is, that I still have a 130$ credit at a local store which I'D like to spend and I can't imagine that they'd have them in stock. :/
Last edited by amathiel at Jan 26, 2012,
have u tried actives? (EMG/SD BLACKOUTS)?
Last edited by boblittle at Jan 27, 2012,
LOL !!! guess i should read the WHOLE post befor posting... forget about my last post!
Last edited by boblittle at Jan 27, 2012,
I think the Super Distortion is probably a decent match, but I reckon you could do better. The quintessential doom metal sound is a vintage to moderate output pickup played through a high headroom amp being pushed for all it's worth. Trad doom is pretty much taking older styles of gear and driving it til it begins destroying itself

As such, something like a pair of SD '59s, a '59/Pearly Gates, DiMarzio PAF Pro/36th Anni, (or if you fancy going custom) Wolfetone Marshallheads/Dr Vintage or Bare Knuckle Mules/Black Dogs would probably be a good shout. Just my $0.02
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I have an X2N in the bridge and a Tonezone in the neck of an Agile 3000M

It's crushing! (not in an mg-way :p)