My guitar is an Ibanez RGR321ex. For some reason the wiring diagram for this guitar on the Ibanez website doesn't open (it's under the year 2004).

Anyway I have found another diagram for Ibanez 5 way switch selector HH guitars and I'm guessing that this diagram should be relevant to my guitar too, especially since the image in the bottom left of which pickups are activated in the various switch positions is the same way that my guitar is supposed to work.

However, attached is an image I took with my camera of what I have actually found under my Ibanez's hood. The wiring matches up with the diagram except that the 2nd and 7th pin seem to be the other way round. There is still the piece of connecting wire joining the 2nd and 7th pin but on the diagram it is showing the black wire of the neck pickup as connecting to the 7th pin whereas on my guitar it is connected to the 2nd pin.

Can anybody with any knowledge or experience with guitar electronics tell me what the practical consequences of this is? I don't really know how each of the 8 pins work or turn on depending on where I have the switch selected, otherwise I could probably work it out myself.

I'm thinking of replacing my pickups myself so the answer to this would make me better equipped to undertake such a task.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
5 way switch ibanez rgr321.jpg
If the two pins are connected with a wire, they're effectively the same pin.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Do you mean, if 2 pins are connected, activating one of them activates both of them? Not sure what you mean by same pin. Also, how are each of the 8 pins activated in relation to the 5 way selector?
Quote by BadBanshee
Do you mean, if 2 pins are connected, activating one of them activates both of them? Not sure what you mean by same pin. Also, how are each of the 8 pins activated in relation to the 5 way selector?

Yeah, if the two are simply connected by a wire, then there is no way to send a signal to one without also sending it to the other. This makes the circuit diagram identical to what you see in your guitar, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how the switch works, though.

Long story short, the diagram is correct for your guitar setup.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Thanks for your help. Do you think it would be simpler if I was going to buy pickups and fit them myself to just do away with the 5 way selector and install a simple 3 way? Otherwise I'd have to split the coils and arrange the neck pickup in parralel as well as series. Not sure if it is worth the hassle? :/
I'm just starting to remember basic principles of Physics from school and I see now how intuitive it is that if you connect two pins together it doesn't matter whether you connect another wire to one pin or the other as it's in the same circuit lol.

But I've just noticed that the pickups don't seem to be in a closed circuit. I remember the golden rule of electricity is that it had to be in a closed circuit to work, otherwise it would short circuit. It looks as if the pickup end of the circuit is grounded :S Then again I guess this isn't a conventional electrical circuit since the circuit needs to be open in order to accept incoming string vibrations, right?