So im interested in building an electric guitar from nothing and was wondering what materials i would need for the Neck, Headstock and Body.
The guitar i want to make is a guitar for Metal/Heavy Metal. I really like the gus g signature and will take alot of influence from this guitar. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-LTD-GUS600-NT-Gus-G-Signature-Electric-Guitar-/270842326830?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0f75ef2e#ht_2840wt_1189
Thanks in advanced!
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Last edited by Spitty33 at Jan 25, 2012,
You need wood. It matters, but doesn't matter, what kind of wood you have. People talk about tone woods and stuff, but Brian May made his guitar out of oak, so there's that. You would need some type of fretboard material and some way to fret it. A way to rout everything in the body along with all the hardware. The body isn't too bad, but you may be better off buying a prebuilt neck since I'm guessing this is your first build.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
I realize i need the hardware. What wood would you recommend? haha Wood would! sorry
Gear:

Jackson Pro Series RR24M

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Quote by Spitty33
I realize i need the hardware. What wood would you recommend? haha Wood would! sorry

That's what I'm trying to say. There are people here that will say only use mahogany/maple/whatever cause they are traditional "tone woods" and are the generally accepted woods to make a guitar out of. Its what fender/gibson and every other guitar maker uses. But a lot of homebrews decide that those are too expensive. It may be difficult cause of the knots, but Brian May made his guitar out of oak. The old Airline guitars were made out of a fiberglass type material. I'm sure there's a science to picking stuff for tones, but I think that tone is also so subjective that the science can get in the way of innovation. If you want traditional then pick your favorite guitar and look at the woods used. Theres a company that sells kits to make your own airline. Or just take some old furniture and use that.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by Duv
And Brian May's tone sucks ass...

TS - from looking at the plethora of wonderful build threads I see around here it seems like you need some decent woodworking kit, lots of clamps, patience and some skill - on top of the wood, electronics and fretwire.

Everyone has to start somewhere ^^

would something like this be okay for building a body? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sapele-Mahogany-Hardwood-Timber-Woodwork-Guitar-Body-Luthier-Turning-Wide-/180801210899?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item2a18978a13#ht_913wt_956
Gear:

Jackson Pro Series RR24M

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Quote by Spitty33
So im interested in building an electric guitar from nothing and was wondering what materials i would need for the Neck, Headstock and Body.
The guitar i want to make is a guitar for Metal/Heavy Metal. I really like the gus g signature and will take alot of influence from this guitar. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-LTD-GUS600-NT-Gus-G-Signature-Electric-Guitar-/270842326830?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0f75ef2e#ht_2840wt_1189
Thanks in advanced!

u need wood, router, jig saw, ect. for the fretboard you can but slotted ones for like $20 on stewmac.com

Quote by Spitty33

stewmac.com has everything!
Quote by Spitty33

Any hard wood, and maybe some soft wood. Mahogany, alder an swamp ash are the most common woods for body. Maple(often figured) is the most common top wood, usully o mahogany to add more to the treble end and articulation, since mahopgany isnt as defined ans is more middy. Mahogany and maple are bot usual neck wood, but rosewood necks are sometime found on high end guitars. Maple, rosewood and ebony ae the most common fretboard wood. But an all maple guitar with a set trough ebony neck is possible as well: its all up to you.
The tonewood thread will give you further information.
Quote by jjbarnes
That's what I'm trying to say. There are people here that will say only use mahogany/maple/whatever cause they are traditional "tone woods" and are the generally accepted woods to make a guitar out of. Its what fender/gibson and every other guitar maker uses. But a lot of homebrews decide that those are too expensive. It may be difficult cause of the knots, but Brian May made his guitar out of oak. The old Airline guitars were made out of a fiberglass type material. I'm sure there's a science to picking stuff for tones, but I think that tone is also so subjective that the science can get in the way of innovation. If you want traditional then pick your favorite guitar and look at the woods used. Theres a company that sells kits to make your own airline. Or just take some old furniture and use that.

I'm quite partial to pine and masonite but I'm a little on the extreme end of the anti-tonewood crew.
Quote by CJ Noble
I'm quite partial to pine and masonite but I'm a little on the extreme end of the anti-tonewood crew.

I know what you mean. I really like the old resoglass airlines and mahogany bodies, but honestly if it plays well and it has decent pickups I don't care what it's made out of. I mean, Jack White plays slide on a plank on the movie It Might Get Loud. If that tells you anything...
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Building an electric guitar from stratch is a serious (and potentially) expensive task. Rewarding though!

The classic tonewoods are used today mainly for availability, cost, ease of use to work with, tradition and weight. Also, certain woods have a chance to cause nasty reactions, such as working with Cocobolo can affect some people badly. Others aren't used because they are tricky to work with or have some undesirable properties. E.g. Oak is heavy. Oily woods can make finishing difficult. If Idigbo (or american name: Korina/Limba) was cheaper then it would be a more used replacement for mahogany.

For the OP. Sapele is fine. Many big names use Sapele as mahogany. Gibson for example.

You will need a decent supply of tools, and some patience and skill. There are many factors to building a guitar that is overlooked by people who rush into it. For example neck angle. If you use a gibson style bridge then the neck needs to be angled down to accomodate its height.

Basically, if your serious. Look up luthier forums and browse the insane amount of information the internet can offer untill you think you have a clue.
Check out Grizzly.com
The president of Grizzly started out as a luthier.
..I was watching my death.