Got a 10 watt Beta Aivin BM6 guitar amp not long ago. It's been sitting for a while and tonight tried it out. Replaced the strings and plugged it in. But only the first string is amplifying. I changed the ends of the cord but the same thing. The bottom five are not 'on'. What could possibly be the problem here? thanks
Wrong type of string? What strings did you put on there? And first string being high e or low e?
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
seems very strange that it's only one string. Is it doing it no matter what pickup is selected? what guitar is it?

take an allen wrench, or something like a screwdriver and tap across each pickup. Do you hear the tapping everywhere, or only under the working string?

EDIT: did you change ALL the strings, or only the ones that aren't working?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Problem solved! Thanks guys. Actually, as I looked carefully at it, I saw that the saddle on the bridge was sticking out just a hair from it's precise location, so it wasn't making contact with the pickup on this acoustic-electric guitar. i just loosened the strings and pushed it over to fit in the groove. The saddle had fallen out while changing strings, and I didn't put it on carefully. All is well. Thanks again.
Sorry to butt in, but I have a slightly different problem. I have a stratocaster with Texas Special pickups and play a lot of blues. How do I get the higher, thinner strings like the first and second string to ring out through the mix more? Especially with a lot of gain I'll try to solo and it's just drowned out by my lower stings. Is it a matter of adjusting the height of the pickups on the guitar or adjusting tone settings or what? Or maybe the action is too low?
Last edited by asdaven at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by asdaven
Sorry to butt in, but I have a slightly different problem. I have a stratocaster with Texas Special pickups and play a lot of blues. How do I get the higher, thinner strings like the first and second string to ring out through the mix more? Especially with a lot of gain I'll try to solo and it's just drowned out by my lower stings. Is it a matter of adjusting the height of the pickups on the guitar or adjusting tone settings or what? Or maybe the action is too low?

Increase the height of the pickups on the treble side/lower the bass side, and add more treble on your amp. Keep messing with it until it sounds right.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by asdaven

Adjusting pickup height can help. So could an overdrive eqd to give you a boost. Or a treble booster.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
That's what I thought. The thinner strings need to pickup stronger to make up for being thinner than the other strings. Also, when you play on the upper frets above the 12th fret and the string is muted by the frets, what could that be?
Quote by asdaven
That's what I thought. The thinner strings need to pickup stronger to make up for being thinner than the other strings. Also, when you play on the upper frets above the 12th fret and the string is muted by the frets, what could that be?

muted? Like fret buzz? That's usually either poor setup or warped wood.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Yes, fret buzz. I know the wood isn't warped. Maybe the strings aren't high enough off the fret board? Or would setting intonation have anything to do with this?
Quote by asdaven
Yes, fret buzz. I know the wood isn't warped. Maybe the strings aren't high enough off the fret board? Or would setting intonation have anything to do with this?

intonation is closely tied to action. Every time the action changes the intonation changes. Intonation is how accurate the frets are in terms of what notes they play. Low action allows for faster playing, but there is usually buzz. Higher action gives you better tone and no buzz, but not as much speed. Take it to a shop for a professional setup where you like how they setup all their guitars and have them do it for you.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
the guitar needs a setup... and on a side note, you're threadjacking.

Intonation has nothing to do with fret buzz. It's all about bridge height and neck relief. There's a sticky in the electric guitar forum on the topic. If you can't figure it out, then take it to a tech and have it set up. In the future you should make your own thread instead of asking off topic questions in someone else's... but you've been here since '08, you should know better That's 5 demerits!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
the guitar needs a setup... and on a side note, you're threadjacking.

Intonation has nothing to do with fret buzz. It's all about bridge height and neck relief. There's a sticky in the electric guitar forum on the topic. If you can't figure it out, then take it to a tech and have it set up. In the future you should make your own thread instead of asking off topic questions in someone else's... but you've been here since '08, you should know better That's 5 demerits!

It's not that it has nothing to do with fretbuzz, it's just indirectly related. If he were to change the action he would need to reintonate the guitar. And sorry about the threadjacking.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
No, it's asdaven that's threadjacking by asking his own guitar question in JK10's thread.

What I mean is that your intonation can be WAY off, and it just will not cause fret buzz. He needs a setup, which will surely include setting intonation after his buzzing has been resolved.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
No, it's asdaven that's threadjacking by asking his own guitar question in JK10's thread.

What I mean is that your intonation can be WAY off, and it just will not cause fret buzz. He needs a setup, which will surely include setting intonation after his buzzing has been resolved.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I meant to say sorry for feeding the threadjacking.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Sorry for threadjacking. Just had that quick question. I'll get a setup or do it myself.
Thanks