Hey all.

I'm playing in a coverband doing all the usual stuff, and what i'm looking for is a decent overdrive/distortion pedal for lead tones. Right now i'm using a Boss DS-2 (I can feel your facepalms already) and it doesn't cut it at all. sounds too digital and gritty. Most of the time I run it on top of my Ts9 which smooths it out a little, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not all that gear savvy when it comes to pedals, so I'm not entirely sure where to look. Budget wise I'm looking at around €150 max, but I could push it a little if I had to.

I'm thinking maybe a Fulltone OCD, it seems to have what I need, but I'd still happily take any recommendations. I also know a decent tube amp would help my case, but that's for another day. I'm trying to make the best of what I got.

Chain: American Standard Tele>Korg pitch black>Ts9>DS2 (it'll go here)>TC nova repeater>Marshall AVT50xt

Thanks all
Well, you already have a drive pedal (the TS9, last time I checked was such) and it's more than fine, if you're looking to smoothen yourself in the mix I'd recommend a graphic EQ. My fave MXR 6-band EQ is a huge recommendation Cheap, extremely versatile and keeps you ringing out properly without forcing the vocals into the mud
It's a generic, modern radio/a few classics coverband. No mystery. to name a few tunes
Sweet Child of mine, My Sharona, You give love a bad name, Undercover Martyn, Smooth Operator, Call me, Grounds for divorce, Sex on Fire, violet Hill...

The older stuff has the most lead parts I guess. What I'm looking for is a lead sound that's not too gritty. Something smooth and rounded.

I find the Ts9 is fine for leads with humbuckers, but the tele is my main axe, and the single coils are just too transparent, and only get me a crunch at best.
Last edited by shmeegle at Jan 25, 2012,
Have you considered a new amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have but like I said, I'm trying to make the best of what I have. Surely getting a high end tube amp isn't the only way to get a decent smooth lead tone?
Quote by shmeegle
I have but like I said, I'm trying to make the best of what I have. Surely getting a high end tube amp isn't the only way to get a decent smooth lead tone?

It pretty much is if you are using an AVT. Well, unless you use something like a Klon into the clean channel. But still, the AVT sounds like a tin can even on the clean channel so you'd just be throwing good money after bad. And you don't need a "high end" tube amp. I can't think of any tube amp that is worse than an AVT. Even a Bugera would be a huge improvement.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It pretty much is if you are using an AVT. Well, unless you use something like a Klon into the clean channel. But still, the AVT sounds like a tin can even on the clean channel so you'd just be throwing good money after bad. And you don't need a "high end" tube amp. I can't think of any tube amp that is worse than an AVT. Even a Bugera would be a huge improvement.

Look into Traynor combos...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Seeing as you're in a cover band, you might be better off selling all of your pedals, and getting a used POD HD to run into the FX loop of your band. One of my friends does this with a Boss GT, and it sounds pretty good, just by bypassing the preamp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X