I found this Marshall JCM 900 50w combo amp for 400€ (second, better said: third-hand).

Changed valves to TAB (Tube Amp Doctor). It's from the 90s. I'm wondering if the amp is any good, or is the price and amp a rip-off?

I can try it before purchasing, but is it a well-worth amp or is 400€ for a third-hand too much?
That's a bit much...if you could get it down to like, 275 euro, that might be more fair. What sort of tones are you looking to nail? Budget? Location? Gigging or just home use?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
That's a bit much...if you could get it down to like, 275 euro, that might be more fair. What sort of tones are you looking to nail? Budget? Location? Gigging or just home use?

I doubt he'll reduce it that much.

Tone = personal (but I play Malmsteen, classical music, blues, Bowie, EVERYTHING)
Budget= 500€ at most I'm guessing (flexible)
Location=Majorca, isolated island in the drop dead poor country of Spain
-Both for gigging and home
**** the shut up man!!! god!!!
jks, thats a bit too much but if you could reduce it to like 300-325 it woulld be a cool deal if its in decent condition.
Quote by itamar100
**** the shut up man!!! god!!!
jks, thats a bit too much but if you could reduce it to like 300-325 it woulld be a cool deal if its in decent condition.

even if it isn't reduced - is it a cool amp? I'm talking about sound and tone
I love the 900/800 Marshalls, and while I agree that the price is a bit high I'd say it's a cool amp. It's a LITTLE bit difficult to get good cleans but they're there.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
even if it isn't reduced - is it a cool amp? I'm talking about sound and tone

I'd say it sounds rubbish. For 400 euros you can do way better and way more Marshall than Marshall themselves.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
I'd say it sounds rubbish. For 400 euros you can do way better and way more Marshall than Marshall themselves.

Unless the Euro has VASTLY exceeded the American dollar recently I'd have to disagree with this, and I don't even like Marshall that much.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Unless the Euro has VASTLY exceeded the American dollar recently I'd have to disagree with this, and I don't even like Marshall that much.

As he wants versatile and marshally amp, I wouldn't recommend the 900, since A: it's not really versatile and B: Unless you keep the preamp volume low and crank the power amp, it doesn't sound very nice.

I've been recommending this a lot, but a Laney VC50 is way better at both those things. At least in Sweden they go for about 400 euro. And music equipment is quite expensive here.

Edit: Haven't tried the Traynor, but it seems quite nice.

Edit2: A Laney GH50L would do if you don't need to be able to switch between clean and overdrive. You'd need a cab though.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jan 25, 2012,
Dude, Traynor. Or the Laney.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I love the 900/800 Marshalls, and while I agree that the price is a bit high I'd say it's a cool amp. It's a LITTLE bit difficult to get good cleans but they're there.

I would say the opposite. The cleans are the best thing about the amp. The distortion is ok for punk but to get a decent tone out of them for anything else requires some modding.

Caveat: if you keep the gain down and crank the power amp into clipping it produces a great distortion. Bloody loud though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think i prefer the TRAYNOR YCV50B to the Laney vc50 sound. It is a bit expensive so:

-is it versatile?
-are the valves good at all? (better than marshalls)

PS-I can afford a pedal
They aren't that bad of an amp really but the preamp distortion is a bit fizzy because it comes from built in SS overdrive pedals. That can be fixed quite a lot with a bit of modding but it does require removing the circuit board and cutting a track and a couple of other things. Not that difficult to do if you have some experience but I wouldn't recommend it to a raw beginner.
Basically they are a bit like running an overdrive pedal in front of a JCM800 - sorta. Trouble is that you don't have the option of turning the pedal off.
For what you want I'd say you'd be better off getting the Traynor and I'd only settle for a JCM900 4502 if it was substantially cheaper.

Now I am assuming it's a 4502 because you haven't actually given me a link. If it's an SL/X then that would change everything. The SL/X slays a Dual Reverb.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
They aren't that bad of an amp really but the preamp distortion is a bit fizzy because it comes from built in SS overdrive pedals. That can be fixed quite a lot with a bit of modding but it does require removing the circuit board and cutting a track and a couple of other things. Not that difficult to do if you have some experience but I wouldn't recommend it to a raw beginner.
Basically they are a bit like running an overdrive pedal in front of a JCM800 - sorta. Trouble is that you don't have the option of turning the pedal off.
For what you want I'd say you'd be better off getting the Traynor and I'd only settle for a JCM900 4502 if it was substantially cheaper.

Now I am assuming it's a 4502 because you haven't actually given me a link. If it's an SL/X then that would change everything. The SL/X slays a Dual Reverb.

You're saying the TRAYNOR YCV50B is better (even though I have a MIM HSS Strat) than the fuzzy JCM900?

Also keep in mind that the Traynor wold be noew, the Marshall wouldnt
That's exactly what I'm saying - unless the JCM900 is an SL/X.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification