Oi guys,

Kind of a noob question perhaps, i am using Ableton Live 8 ,
i have a couple of tracks that i would love to finish, but my computer is already clipping with 6 tracks..

Now the audio tracks are recorded with Guitar Rig 5 and the piano and weird effects through Kontakt using Alicia Keys Piano and Evolve Mutation (both of these are incredibly resource consuming) throw Battery into the mix and my comp explodes..

I have thought about exporting certain tracks together and reimporting them, but that kills the creative process for me...

1)(if you have any tricks id love to hear it) I dont get how i can open project with way more tracks an example would be those Trent Reznor Remix projects he gave away..and not i dont get any clipping whatsoever.. but 3 guitar rig tracks make the comp sweat.. ?

2)I am getting a new computer in the not so distant future, and would like to know wether the performance of all VSTIS is actually RAM heavier or processor heavier ?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 25, 2012,
Gotta get a better computer, anything recording is usually pretty harware intensive. Try something called Darkwave, its a simple but free recording software. Those tend to not be too bad, but I'm not familiar with what you're trying to do, so it may do nothing for you.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Off the top of my head I want to say its more Cpu intensive then memory but I never really checked.

Simple way to check what resources are being used is to open task manager while playing/recording the tracks, once you know what resources are being heavily used you can
Build your computer with that task in mind.
vsti's are ram heavy and processor heavy, adjust your latency settings for better performance.
Freeze the intensive tracks (this basically bounces just the track itself to an audio file, so istead of your computer processing the signal with all the effects each time you play the song, it will just play them back with all the effects bounced into the audio file) It will be way more manageable for your computer and will take about a quarter of the cpu power, probably even less. now you can still do track automation while certain tracks are in freeze mode, you just wont be able to adjust any effects, but if you need to adjust something simply unfreeze the track, make your adjustments, then freeze it again for playback. And yes, its mostly CPU intensive. A nice harddrive at a high rpm (7200 for example) would make a huge difference in the future
check out your resource analyzer, is your ram maxing out? try freezing tracks/fx you don't need or automating them out until needed.

get dpc latency analyzer. it will save your life
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Thanks for the quick replies and the help guys!!

1000x <3´s for the freezing suggestion!! (thats will get me further for the time being)
and thanks for the dpc latency analyzer
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.