Page 1 of 2
For me it was when I saw the music video for 2 Minutes to Midnight when Bullet for My Valentine were guest programmers on Australian music TV show called RAGE, and my reaction was "looks awesome, I want to do it."

Other videos they played were also influential on me for years to come including Slipknot - Duality, Black Tide - Shockwave, Bullet for My Valentine - Waking the Demon, Bullet for My Valentine - Hand of Blood, Metallica - One, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Guns N' Roses - Paradise City and Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll. This episode helped introduce me to a different heavier side of music which I have kept listening to ever since.

So what inspired you to pick up the guitar?
My Rig:

• Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Blackcherry
  • Randall RG75D-G3
  • Dunlop Crybaby Wah
  • Boss FV-50 H volume
  • Boss DM-2 analogue delay

My Last.FM page

The UPROAR My music blog/webzine.
I don't have an exact moment, but Matt Bellamy inspired me to continue anyway.
Bass:
I wanted to play guitar in my schools band but my teacher said "this is an orchestra the only kind of instrument you'll play of that nature is a bass". I had no idea what bass even sounded like in music (I was... eleven I think, and musically retarded). Picked it up and instantly loved it.

Guitar: After years of playing bass, I got curious and wanted to try guitar. At first I was learning shit like Avenged Sevenfold and Children of Bodom (not the solos, of course) but then stopped playing. I started playing once again when I got into bands like My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth.
I Have The Power!
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
A friend of mine told me to play the keyboard on his band, after a lot of gigs i said to myself that my thing was the guitar, two months later i bought my first Ibanez.
I've always really looked up to, and hung out with, my uncle, and so I grew up listening to 80's hair metal, hard rock, and thrash metal. So I kinda grew into that music, and he always had epic guitars and was really good, so I picked up a guitar when I was 14 and that's that. I've always wanted a red USA jackson warrior like he had at one time though, it's the only pointy shape I like haha
Guitar Hero when I was in fourth grade but I quit after about a year, I didn't enjoy it after realising how much harder it is than a video game. I think I picked it up again properly sometime in year seven which was three years ago now. No apparent reason, I just had nothing to do. I've only seriously tried to get better since towards the end of 2011.
West Ham United
Initially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hwluRTXYs

But my mother couldn't really afford a guitar + lessons at the time.

A few years later I heard this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGmmxUQWig

Got a guitar a year later and started learning songs by ear.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Wanted to impress a girl, and my friends, plus the live video of Zep doing The Ocean off the two dvd set,
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
to not be friendless, and to get girls
so i learnt some green day

and then i saw back to the future, and there was this guitar solo that marty mcfly did and i decided to learn how to do that

then thats when i got into music for realz
I saw Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
I was ironing my clothes and A7x beast and the harlot video came on tv. I was convinced synuster gates was the most badass mother fücker on the planet. Coincedentally, my high school started offering a guitar class. Picked up my first guitar, and i've been learning ever since.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
I've been wanting to play since I was a kid, but I didn't get off my arse to learn until September of 2010. Alot of the Metal bands I listened in 2008 through 2010 inspired me to play.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
I always want to play since i was like 5 but i never did.Dime's solo in Cemetery Gates is what actually made me get off my ass and start playing.
I don't know exactly, but if I had to pick I'd probably seeing School of Rock as a kid. I ****ing loved that movie...
Quote by NosralTserrof
Look at all the stars! **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
this beautiful fellow coupled with my overwhelming teenage angst coming through.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
My hands.

Seriously, I wanted to learn the guitar for a while, but then when I noticed my good friend started bringing his guitar to school and played, I decided it would be cool to do the same.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Bass: Because I wanted to be the one making dat ass shake with the rhythm.

Guitar: Because it's easier to write songs on it.

What made me want to play music in general? It makes me feel good.
I decided to play a guitar when a friend of mine bought one, showed me how to play some simple riffs, and then once he saw i was catching on pretty quickly asked if I wanted to start a band (of course i didn't own anything or have any idea of actually how to play) but I said yes. 8 years later though that band no longer exists I still play with this same guy all the time and am still in love with the bass guitar (which though i first got a guitar I quickly found that bass was much more fun to play).
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
My dad and I really wanted to learn to play. He gave me a classical when I expected an electric XD
Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
I saw Freaky Friday with Lindsay Lohan.

Best reason.

My sister started playing, and I got jealous, so I started playing.
I saw it lying there, tossed on the ground like a used tissue, and I knew I had to pick it up.
My brother started playing, he sucked shit, so I started playing his guitar.

Twoish years later, I switched to bass, which is much more fun.

Quote by Novacane...
I saw it lying there, tossed on the ground like a used tissue, and I knew I had to pick it up.

Last edited by edgeyyz at Jan 25, 2012,
I just saw a flyer when I was 8 for lessons at school and said i'd give it a go with my mate. He didn't even go to the first lesson.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Hearing the song "Over the Mountain".
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
I had started getting into radio rock acts such as Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin, and I slowly got into a few songs by Metal bands such as KSE and Atreyu. When I first heard the solo for Right Side Of The Bed by Atreyu, I knew I wanted to learn how to play guitar. That year I got a starter pack guitar. <3 Been 4 years since.
I've had an interest in music my entire memorable life. I started piano lessons when I was eight. Then I got into rock music, so guitar was the next step in getting into rock.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Page 1 of 2