I've been playing on combo amps for my entire time playing guitar, and I finally want to get a half stack, so I'm still trying to pick up some knowledge on half stacks. Here's my situation: A few months ago, an older guy I worked with was looking to get rid of his Fender cabinet, just to clear up room in his house. It's really old, and he didn't even know if it worked anymore, so he was willing to give it to me for free. I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet, but I figured that since I want to get a half stack, I am going to only buy the head first, and see if the cab still works. I'm not really relying on the cab to work, but if it did, it would be really nice, and would save me a lot of money. If not, whatever, I'll just buy a matching cab. The only thing I'm worried about is that the head I choose to purchase might not sound good coming out of the Fender cab, even if it does work. I don't exactly know what head I want yet, but I'm thinking about either a Mesa Mark IV, a Mesa Roadster or something that sounds similar to those. I'm looking for hard rock/heavy metal type sound. I'm not sure what the exact model of the Fender cabinet is, but the guy who gave it to me said it goes extremely loud, so I'm guessing there's enough wattage in it for super high volumes (which I probably won't even need anyway). But I was just wondering how much the cabinet effects the tone. Obviously most of the tone is coming from the head, but about how much does the cabinet affect the tone? Do you think a Mesa head would mix well with a Fender cab? I know that Fender isn't exactly known for their distorted tones, so that's why I'm a little worried.

Short question: How much do cabinets effect the tone coming from a head?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
It affects it a lot, after all the speakers are what is physically producing the sound. Without the model of Fender it's difficult to say, but I do know that Mesa and Orange both make some top quality cabinets, but if you ain't got that cash a Marshall 1936 or 1960 should do the job.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Harley benton g212v from thomann is an excellent cab for the money. has 2 v30's which are perfect for hardrock. got one myself and it's built very well.
Edit: you need an 412v offcourse.
Hmm, well I'm trying not to spend more than $2000. I am definitely going used for the head. I found a used roadster on E-Bay for $1500 with no shipping cost, and a used Mark VI for $1350 (after shipping), so if I don't like the Fender, I will probably buy a cab between $300-$500. Any other suggestions on cabs around that price range?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
cab matters enough that it can completely ruin the sound of a good amp.
I play my mark IV through a 212 recto cab, and I used a friend's cab (type unknown) once, and it sounded COMPLETELY different. It was way too dark for my taste.

Do you know what kind of speakers are in the cab? Celestion vintage 30's are what come standard in recto cabs.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Without speakers you have no sound, therefore speakers are the most important component of your tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It makes a a big difference. I used my head on an engl 4x12 last night instead of my normal blackheart 4x12. I had EQ my amp completely different.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
A decent cab for the money is a Line 6 Spider VALVE not regular spider. It comes with v30's
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
should look into avatar also. Can get a nice 212 cab brand new, and pretty reasonably priced.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by McLeod
A decent cab for the money is a Line 6 Spider VALVE not regular spider. It comes with v30's

if your just looking at speakers ya, but the construction quality on those are pretty bad
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The dimensions and material of the cab also play a big role in the tone. I have a Carvin Legacy cab w/v30s, and a friend of mine has a Mesa Oversize Recto cab, also with v30s. Exact same speakers, but when I put my amp through the Mesa cab, I had to EQ it different from the Carvin. I almost couldn't dial the bass out enough on the Mesa cab. I'm not sure what kind of material the two cabs are made of. But those are a couple more factors to consider.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by al112987
cab matters enough that it can completely ruin the sound of a good amp.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a mesa rectifier 2x12 cabinet for 500 with shipping at guitar center.

Do you want a 4x12

or a 2x12?
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 25, 2012,
If you're in the US, you should be able to find a mark iv for around 1100. Unless it's in flawless condition 1350 is too much.
the cabinet is the last part of your signal chain and plays a major role in tone. i don't know what the MOST important part of a rig is, but speaker cabs play a big part and a worth a little attention.

you wanna get knowledgeable about cabs and speakers?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Phil+Starr/contributions/columns/

this guy is knowledgeable, he'll put you on the map about what matters.

as for cabs, i like going local cuz i can always find killer deals (people don't generally know what they have). if you know what kinda cab and speaker you want, then you can always go to avatar and order what you want (they are very similar quality to top brands imo)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae