I am looking to get a new amp. I found the peavey 6505 and it sounds like it is amazing. I was wondering how it takes effects that is a big thing. Is it really versitile. I want sounds like august burns red and as i lay dying. any thoughts thanx
I have the 6505+ half stack, and while it is an awesome amp, it is not versatile. It is made for one thing, and that is metal. But for the bands like As i lay dying and August Burns Red it will work really well. And mine seems to take pedals pretty well, but i would suggest trying it in a music store first and seeing how it handles the pedals you use.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
it is definitely a great sounding amp and i think that versatility depends more so on the person and their ability to eq the amp. its a high gain monster but i think that if you mess around with it you can get some other things out of it.
ok thanks but if you use pedals and it takes them well you could get almost any tone right. It wouldnt be the amp it would be the pedal
Quote by naugustrocks23
ok thanks but if you use pedals and it takes them well you could get almost any tone right. It wouldnt be the amp it would be the pedal

That's really not how it works. At all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
To me it's a good amplifier, my first step into Tube-land too.
I've been able to get some fairly good crunch tones with my 6505+, though you're going to have to really tweak yours correctly after your own guitar and stuff like that. I would advice you to get an overdrive pedal or something at the same time as you get the actual amplifier. Doesn't have to be a Distortion, just an overdrive to push the tubes a bit harder.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
i really want one of these also. but i red alot of complaints about quality.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by naugustrocks23

pedals r really for tweaking. if the tone of your amp isn't super close to what your looking for, pedals won't help much after that.

and to whoever mentioned reliability issues? you must be thinking of the bugeras because i have never heard of anyone having issues with these. peavey has been making these for a very long time and knows what they r doing
i wanna get one myself. im just saying some people say the speaker sucks and the tubes arent the greatest.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
i wanna get one myself. im just saying some people say the speaker sucks and the tubes arent the greatest.

thats all stuff that can be easily replaced and, for the most part, generally expected in a lot of amps below a grand
*sigh*
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by andrerist
thats all stuff that can be easily replaced and, for the most part, generally expected in a lot of amps below a grand

seems like youd just wanna buy a amp that is ready to go. might wanan give a look at the peavey vypyr tube 60. seems like the 6505 112 is just using the 6505 name to get people to buy it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I posted a reply to someone else on a similar thread and have put a review up after I got techs to literally dismantle one of these and do quite a bit of work customising it for me - I would get the bias looked at out the box as a precaution as mines was set way too high. Also I swapped the stock ruby preamp and power tubes for better ones and swapped the stock speaker for an eminence swamp thing. Made a massive difference to the sound. Clean sounds wont be great on this thing though if you use the clean channel.
Quote by romeozdistress
seems like youd just wanna buy a amp that is ready to go. might wanan give a look at the peavey vypyr tube 60. seems like the 6505 112 is just using the 6505 name to get people to buy it.

The Vypyr Tube has similarly bad speakers and tubes. They're bad by virtue of their low-cost.

Speakers and tubes are temporary things, anyway. Tubes will burn out and speakers will fail, and it doesn't cost much to replace them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by romeozdistress

buying the vypyr would be a massive down grade. its a digital amp, its never going to sound quite as good as something like a 6505.

the 6505 name isn't just a name that gets people to buy it. its the 2nd generation of an amp that has been around for a very long time and used by tons of musicians. (most notably bullet for my valentine and EVH).

i feel like you can't really go wrong with the 6505 if your looking for a straight up metal amp
Most of the reliability issues with the amp are physical problems right out of the box due to chinese manufacturing. If you get one from a shop and it looks to be in good shape you're fine.

I changed the tubes to JJ's and replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Governor, which made a big difference. Also like someone else said throw an overdrive in front of it.

You wont really need any effects for as i lay dying or august burns red. Just a noise gate and a overdrive to tailor the sound.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by andrerist
buying the vypyr would be a massive down grade. its a digital amp, its never going to sound quite as good as something like a 6505.

The Vypyr Tube is a hybrid, and sounds rather good, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle82A-bTP8
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Vypyr Tube is a hybrid, and sounds rather good, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle82A-bTP8

i know what it is. but my issue with it is that is still a digital modeling amp none the less. its trying to be too many things to be great at any single thing. some of it may sound good, but i'd prefer to settle on an amp that does a single sound very very well than one that can do an ok job at a lot of things.

i'm just not a huge fan of modeling amps and the only ones that i stand behind are the fender modelers. other than that, i have yet to find a modeling amp that has a tone that has really "wowed" me
the thing is all these bands are using the 6505 head, not the 112 combo. so I feel it isnt a fair comparison. it is two different amps from what I hear.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
its 120w vs 60w. the difference, for the most part, is going to be a matter of headroom and shear power. the head i think would probably be a little gainier and may have some other minor differences. but all in all, i can't imagine that there really is all that big of a difference between the two
Quote by andrerist
its 120w vs 60w. the difference, for the most part, is going to be a matter of headroom and shear power. the head i think would probably be a little gainier and may have some other minor differences. but all in all, i can't imagine that there really is all that big of a difference between the two

After all of your posts, I have to come out and say that you don't know what you're talking about.

For starts, my current main amp is a Vypyr Tube 120 Head. My last amp was a 5150 212.

The 6505+ 112 can't be honestly counted among the 6505 family. It is built to lower standards in China, whereas all of the other 6505 amps are made in America. The 112 has cheap components and poor build quality/construction in comparison to any of the MIA amps. The difference between the 112 and any of the other is not just "a matter of headroom", the components in it are actually different than what's used on the more expensive versions.

When I was shopping for a new amp a while back, I A/B'd the 6505+ 112 and the 5150 many times. There was no real contest. The 112 just sounds bad compared to the "real" 5150s/6505s.

The Vypyr Tube sounds better than the 6505+ 112. The 112 is nice if you want a straight up plug and play amp with no frills, but it doesn't sound better than the Vypyr Tube. The Vypyr Tube's 6505 model sounds more like a real 6505 than the 112 combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It is a slightly different amp but there's not a big enough difference for it to really matter all that much considering the price difference and the fact that it's a 112 combo, while most people play the head through a 4x12 cab.

There will be less headroom as well, but chances are if you really need to crank the amp past 5, you most likely going to have the amp mic'd through a PA. You wont start losing your headroom until you hit 7 on the 112, and thats more than loud.

The people that make a huge deal about it not being a real 6505, of course its going to be a little different its half the wattage, so obviously it can't be the same circuit and yea they use cheaper caps and whatnot. But at the end of the day it gets the job done and for the price you really can't complain.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 25, 2012,
Seriously buy a used 5150/6505 2x12 or head christ.
The 6505+112s should not be an option for anyone!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by whyze250f
It is a slightly different amp but there's not a big enough difference for it to really matter all that much considering the price difference and the fact that it's a 112 combo, while most people play the head through a 4x12 cab.

There will be less headroom as well, but chances are if you really need to crank the amp past 5, you most likely going to have the amp mic'd through a PA. You wont start losing your headroom until you hit 7 on the 112, and thats more than loud.

The people that make a huge deal about it not being a real 6505, of course its going to be a little different its half the wattage, so obviously it can't be the same circuit and yea they use cheaper caps and whatnot. But at the end of the day it gets the job done and for the price you really can't complain.

Id complain
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean