I'm looking to buy a half stack. Guitar center offered what seemed like a good deal - The DSL100MLB head with an MC412 Angled Speaker for $1299 (closer to 1100 after the coupon). This was discontinued though. That fell right into my price range and had a lot of the qualities that I was looking for. I play generic alternative rock. Any generic distorted rock sound you can think of. I use a lot of effects pedals, so an effects loop is important to me, if possible.

Anybody have any good alternatives for this amp in about the same price range?
They're also offering the JMD50 with an MA412 Angled speaker half stack. This is about the same price, but I'm not really familiar with it at all.

Anybody support the JMD50 as a good alternative? If so, do you know if the MA412 speaker will compete with the MC412 that was offered with the DSL?

Any help or suggestions (Even to other amplifiers) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Those are both terrible deals.

Not that the DSL is a bad amp, by any means, but the cab it's paired with is horrendous, and that's way more than I'd want to pay for both of them. A DSL with that cab should be no more than $800 for the both of them, if you ask me.

The JMD isn't even worth considering.

Keep looking, you should be able to find a DSL for $600 - 900 on its own. A good 212 cab is about $250 - 300 used, $400 - 500 new.

You could also take a look at other amps like the Blackheart Hot Head, Laney GH100L/VH100R, or maybe a Splawn Quickrod. Also worth considering are the Jet City Amps JCA100H or JCA50H, or you could look at the Peavey 3120/XXX/JSX, Mesa Single/Dual Rectos, or maybe a used Mesa Mark IV or Mark III.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i'm trying to stay away from used gear on this one. getting some financial help from someone to afford it (i'm a broke college student). But the person that is helping me is not a fan of anything used. He wouldnt invest his money into it. If you had...say 1200 bucks to spend on a half stack...what would you do? Because I knew the cab that it came with wasnt anywhere near as good as say...the 1960 cabs offered by marshall...but my budget also isn't through the roof. so...i'm in a bit of a pickel. and the different options seem endless.
The two JCA amps Raijouta mentioned are both under 700 brand new. That would leave you with enough for a decent 4x12 or a nice 2x12. (I would recomend getting a quality 2x12 over a 4x12, but that's just me)

Have you considered any combo amps? An egnater renegade would probably suit you pretty well.
The DSL has to be used, unless it's some new old stock that was shut up in a warehouse for 10 years. They don't make them anymore.

If I had 1200 bucks to spend, I would buy a used amp head and a used speaker cabinet. Or a new JCA100H and the matching cab, or a Mesa 4x12.

You could pick up the DSL and that cab and then change it later on down the line, but that's a REALLY crappy cabinet that's coming with it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Are you gigging? You know you don't really need a stack...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by onethroughthree
i'm trying to stay away from used gear on this one. getting some financial help from someone to afford it (i'm a broke college student). But the person that is helping me is not a fan of anything used. He wouldnt invest his money into it. If you had...say 1200 bucks to spend on a half stack...what would you do? Because I knew the cab that it came with wasnt anywhere near as good as say...the 1960 cabs offered by marshall...but my budget also isn't through the roof. so...i'm in a bit of a pickel. and the different options seem endless.

It's not an investment at all. The amp and cab are going to half in value the moment you walk out the door with it and will never regain that value.

$1000 is far too much to pay for that rig because that cab is absolutely atrocious. Go on Craigslist and I'm positive you can find a used DSL100 with something like a Marshall 1960 cab at the very least, for $1000 or maybe even less.
i am gigging. Right now I'm using a 50 watt Crate combo amp...and i hate it. It's harsh. The clean sounds on it are painful to listen to at times. Can't get anything ambient to come out of it. And the distortion, no matter what I make the mix, seems to get lost in the rest of the sound of the band and I can never cut through. Its just muffled and...just...bad

I can try to talk it over with him, but in his head, buying used gear is like gambling with your money, cause things may start falling apart on you down the line. im not saying i'm agreeing...im just saying that I don't know if i have that option.

I know if I'm gigging, I can go for a combo amp too. I just feel like I'll always have more options with a stack. I don't know. I actually just don't know all that much about amplifiers to be honest. And I don't know what makes one amp really good over another. I've never even heard of JCA amps...that's how out of the loop I am.

Would you guys go with a good combo amp instead if your budget was around 1000?
If you have to buy used go with something from Jet City. You really can't beat their amps for the price.

Maybe he'd be more comfortable buying used from Guitar Center? Check their used site (used.guitarcenter.com), usually, their prices are actually fairly reasonable, and you get a 30 (or is it 90?) day warranty to return it no questions asked. They should even ship to your local GC for free, or to your door for a pretty good price. They'll even take trade ins on the gear, if you bring it to your local GC.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by al112987
Right now if I had $1000, I'd buy a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

i'd buy a klon
mojostompboxes.com
^ can you even get a klon for $1000 any more? last one i heard was $1250 i think
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ can you even get a klon for $1000 any more? last one i heard was $1250 i think

yeah, i've seen a couple for around $1k recently. people are selling for a new one.
mojostompboxes.com
ahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by greeny23
i'd buy a klon

You also have a bunch of delicious amps
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by al112987
It's not an investment at all. The amp and cab are going to half in value the moment you walk out the door with it and will never regain that value.

$1000 is far too much to pay for that rig because that cab is absolutely atrocious. Go on Craigslist and I'm positive you can find a used DSL100 with something like a Marshall 1960 cab at the very least, for $1000 or maybe even less.

Pretty much this. Amps are amps. If they're built well, they'll never fail. If they're cheap, there will be issues, but that's typical. With amps, possibly exclusively, buying used really makes no difference. Even if it's something dumb like dead tubes, that would have happened anyway. The only thing new gets you is spending twice as much for no reason, and having tubes that last a few months or a couple years longer before they inevitably die. Try to explain this to your friend.

Honestly, the DSL is a good choice for what you want. It's pretty versatile, and isn't too hard to get a generic sound out of. I'd also recommend a Laney, but they're not exactly plentiful in America, and GC doesn't sell them. Looks like GC doesn't sell Mesa either. GC really sucks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well i mean teh person who owned it might have had it turned on for ages without a load attached.

but yeah i mean aside from that there are no issues
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so what's a good priced generic cab to match one of these many good heads you've all mentioned?

again, assume my budget for the head and cab falls around 1000.
I see used Marshall 1960 cabs on Craigslist for <$400 all the time. Go to the cab, take a look at the speakers, give the cab a try, if it works it works. There is very little risk in buying a used cab.

I bought my Marshall 1960ax cab on CL for $300. $800 less than a new one, and it doesn't have the shitty Chinese Greenbacks either.