Hey guys,

I need to perform some "solo" gigs (me at guitar + backing tracks) in front of 50-100 people. I have my own guitar amplifier, but nothing to play backing tracks with. I was thinking about getting a small PA system or maybe a couple of active monitors or keyboard amps. Any ideas? My budget is around 300€.

Thanks.
Get the RC-3 loop pedal. You can sync wav's from your comp onto the pedal
I put a bunch of backing tracks on mine (one in each key + a few songs)
Modulus G1T, G2T, G3, G3CT, Graphite
4 Fender MIA Strats
3 custom Warmoth Guitars
Asher Lap Steel
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Taylor 314CE
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by GuitarmanCali
Get the RC-3 loop pedal. You can sync wav's from your comp onto the pedal
I put a bunch of backing tracks on mine (one in each key + a few songs)
Thanks, but it's not what I'm looking for. Backing tracks should be played through a PA/speaker/amp/monitor/etc (what I need) and not through my guitar amp.
I'm a fan of JBL Eons or something similar (any ACTIVE PA speaker). Eon G2s are widely available in the used market and a great piece of flexible equipment. For 50-100 people, you could get by on only one. Although a pair would get you better coverage.

Ideally, you would mic your amp and run it into a short mixing board with an input from your backing track, and then EQ and level them out. However, this may be more complex than you need. Eons (and similar active speakers) have two line inputs, so you could use ONLY the speakers for backing tracks with a 1/4" in and have your guitar amp do the talking there.

For your situation, any active (self-powered, as opposed to passive that requires a separate amp) loudspeaker with both 1/4" and XLR inputs is ideal, so you only have to carry the speaker and no amps or boards.

If you're on a budget, you can cruise pawn shops and Craigslist for a cheap system that will get the job done. Active, passive, whatever, as long as it works. If you're looking to invest in a piece of gear that will have more use in multiple applications over time, look into something like an active PA/monitor piece like the Eon.
Last edited by rawkmaster at Jan 26, 2012,
I do a similar thing; have backing tracks on my computer and then play them through powered monitors. I'm using some KRKs and they sound awesome. Not sure if they'd be loud enough for what you need.

Have you checked out Carvin for PA gear? They have some very good stuff for not a lot of money. If you prowl craigslist you should be able to find some (as an awful lot of people use their gear for PAs...)
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
I do a similar thing; have backing tracks on my computer and then play them through powered monitors. I'm using some KRKs and they sound awesome. Not sure if they'd be loud enough for what you need.

Have you checked out Carvin for PA gear? They have some very good stuff for not a lot of money. If you prowl craigslist you should be able to find some (as an awful lot of people use their gear for PAs...)

+1

Carvin PA's are a great deal. I've had one for about a year now, and it's a beast. And you get a lot of features for the money. Not a fan of the onboard effects (I find it very difficult to get enough volume from the system without making the FX processor clip), but everything else about it rocks.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes