Poll: Is theory important to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is theory important to you?
yes
78 61%
no
49 39%
Voters: 127.
Page 1 of 2
Right, we've had a few botched theory threads lately, so it occurs to me that a lot of UG don't care about theory.

Is it important to you?

I voted yes, because I do a music degree. And I need solid theory
Theoretically?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I don't give a shit as long as my lack of knowledge of it does not stand in the way for me creating the music I want. Which it isn't at the moment. But I learn theory every time I play a song, I find out little things all the time.

I know very little theory and usually just make things up as I go, getting a shitload better nowadays though at it.

I short, I'd love to know a lot more theory. But as it is I prefer to pick up my guitar and figure things in terms of writing/practicing singing or something similiar. The theory I learn is not a priority and has to come though other means than me learning theory focused.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 25, 2012,
It's nice to have, and can really help you, but it doesn't really matter to me. I try to learn some things here and there, but IMO, it's way more important to just play and make something awesome and make something that sounds good to your ears instead of spending all your time that could be used to get a feel for it, than learning about it. Should do both, but I'd say lean towards just playing. Plenty of amazing players know no theory at all. While some people could be all knowing in theory, but can play at only an average level, while someone who knows very little, could play circles around them.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If anything, it's more useful for writing music in a literal sense (like sheet music), but it isn't a necessity when composing mentally and translating it to your playing.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I use my admittedly limited theory knowledge to help guide my creativity.
It's useful to know and understand intervals and compositional techniques, as when improvising it allows you to get a better 'flow' in creating new riffs, melodies or progressions.
I really feel that learning this stuff can only improve your playing and make you a better musician... and opens doors that were previously closed [and doors that didn't even exist in some cases].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
No. Not at all.

I'd like to say I'm an "advanced" guitar player, yet if you tell me to play an A chord (for exmaple) I wouldnt have a ****ing clue
When you know more theory, it's easier to just jam something because your mind becomes focused on not always being random and being subconsciously structured. One might think that means what you play sounds the same, but, at least for me, it is not the case.

Theory is important to me. I constantly learn new things and I never want to stop learning theory. People seem to think playing by theory and playing by what sounds good are mutually exclusive, but a lot of times a person playing by what 'sounds good' might be playing in a set key without realizing it, or something.

Theory has made me progress from being a novice guitarist and musician into being much better at both.

Quote by sam b
No. Not at all.

I'd like to say I'm an "advanced" guitar player, yet if you tell me to play an A chord (for exmaple) I wouldnt have a ****ing clue

Absolutely no offense met, and you probably didn't mean it like this, but that doesn't make you cool. Just saying.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Last edited by thePTOD at Jan 25, 2012,
ITT: Implying that theory is important.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I think that music theory is fascinating and I think about it a lot. I notice unusual theoretical aspects about sheet music that I'm reading when learning songs on piano.

However, compositionally, I tend to write what I think sounds pleasant. I disregard theory temporarily. When I stumble upon something that's new to me, I try and make sense of it in terms of music theory once I've composed the riff though.

Also theory plays a big part in composition when stringing riffs together.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
TS is a knob.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Having a music degree, applying to grad school and being a composer I'd say it's pretty low on my list of important things...
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It's cool that "How important is theory to you?" is a yes or no question.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I think some people are naturally gifted, like Hendrix, and not knowing theory really didn't really limit his creativity. But for those mere mortals, (such as myself) learning theory helped unlock a lot of the mysteries that I couldn't solve on my own. I don't claim to be a virtuoso, but I can play, and I know that I wouldn't be able to play as well as I do, without the knowledge I have.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by lushacrous
It's cool that "How important is theory to you?" is a yes or no question.

"View Poll Results: Is theory important to you?
yes 19 63.33%
no 11 36.67%"

Quote by Trowzaa
yes 19 63.33%
no 11 36.67%"

Well shit man, I'm going to start asking questions in thread titles and asking totally different questions in the thread.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Quote by Trowzaa
yes 19 63.33%
no 11 36.67%"

Quote by lushacrous
Well shit man, I'm going to start asking questions in thread titles and asking totally different questions in the thread.

I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
I don't really know any theory so no. However, I can't stand when people have trouble with syncopation, odd time signatures/rhythms, and keeping the tempo. It's not hard.
sunbather is shit
Quote by Bushinarin

Less sad, more mad
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Important enough that I've learned how to play basic chords. There are some proper retards on this forum. In my opinion, not knowing theory isn't something to be proud of. There's nothing wrong with learning basic theory, you don't have to apply it if you don't want to.
Perfect
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

If I had the option of knowing nothing about how music works, or knowing how music works, I would like to know.
music theory is important to me.
---
I can't think of when I haven't applied some basic type of theory in my music, but it's not the most important thing.
you cant be a serious musician without knowing theory. If you intend to work in the music business you have to know theory just to be able to communicate ideas with people.

since I started learning theory at college communicating in my band has become so much easier.

for example I was able to describe a blues riff that I had been working on to my bassist over facebook and he has now written a perfect fitting chorus line for it. all due to our knowledge of music theory and being able to communicate and understand each other.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Music theory is NEVER a bad thing. Those that say that learning it in any way hinders them are just ignorant and quite frankly, stupid.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
It makes it really hard to tell people how to play something I've written if they don't understand time signature or where the notes are.

Honestly, Jimi Hendrix isn't as impressive for playing without theory as the guys who played with him are for being able to understand the guy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Music theory is NEVER a bad thing. Those that say that learning it in any way hinders them are just ignorant and quite frankly, stupid.

This.
Quote by Demon Wolf

This.
I don't know any theory other than basic.

Not knowing theory in and out will definitely slow up your creative process, although that is not in itself a bad thing. Knowing a lot of theory will help you make informed decisions about where to take your music without having to feel it out of your guitar.

The people that are screwed are the people who learn a little bit of theory and then apply it adamantly to everything they do. They get on my nerves.
I know relatively little theory, but that's all I need. I don't wish to compose complex music.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I don't use theory, I play what sounds good lol. I guess the little knowledge of it helps me know what and what not to play.
Page 1 of 2