im quite new to 5 string sweeps. i know that the 3 string variation of this(14,15,13,17,13,14,15) is like 2 3 1 4 1 3 2.

whats the fingering for this?

E-----------------------13----17----13---------------------
B------------------15---------------------15-----------------
G-------------14-------------------------------14------------
D--------15------------------------------------------15------
A --17-----------------------------------------------------17
E---------------------------------------------------------------
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
my favorite sweep pattern
17- pinky,15- middle,14- index,15- middle,13- index,17- pinky,13- index
Last edited by Reages at Jan 25, 2012,
i had a feeling it was that! my ring finger keeps butting in and its annoying me haha.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I'd go with 2 positions. First, pinky on the 17 and index on the 14, then for the top string switch the index on the 13th, and back again for the B string. Shouldn't be too hard, I at least don't have to even move my hand.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Reages pretty much said it.
Anyways, a tip would be to add a note in the sweep to make it sound better (12th fret A-string) because notes in groups of 5 sound a bit wierd compared to 6. It's a bit harder, but trust me, it's worth learning if you are really into sweeping.
Fingering you decide by yourself, the way most comfortable to you is how you should do it.
Quote by JB95
Reages pretty much said it.
Anyways, a tip would be to add a note in the sweep to make it sound better (12th fret A-string) because notes in groups of 5 sound a bit wierd compared to 6. It's a bit harder, but trust me, it's worth learning if you are really into sweeping.

Yeah, could also a play 16th THEN 17th on the A. Sounds nice, very "Syn Gates" I guess. :l
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
i use my ring finger when i do that sweep. it's just what is comfortable to me. this is how i do it;

pinky (17) ring (15) middle (14) ring(15) pointer (13) pinky (17)

that's just what i do though, cuz that is what is comfortable to me
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Quote by Nameless742
Yeah, could also a play 16th THEN 17th on the A. Sounds nice, very "Syn Gates" I guess. :l

It's actually the same sweep in Nightmare, but he only sweeps it up in Nightmare. He doesn't actually down sweep it in the solo.

Just because someone else used it doesn't mean you can't! Add variation in there and make it "fresh" or "new". Everything you play, you should strive to make it your own. Even if you don't change any notes or anything, you can do a lot of other things that can affect how it's portrayed.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90