Page 1 of 2
I only put American in the title because those are the examples I'm going to use, but talk about soccer or w/e if you want.

So basically everyone knows that the WWF/WWE is very staged. And that got me to thinking about other sports that I watch. When you think about how sports are just for entertainment, wouldn't it make sense for the owners and organization to create the most exciting games and outcomes?

Take the NBA finals last year. The Heat rolled through everyone during the season with their trio and all the way to the finals. Were up in game 4 ready to take a 3-1 series lead when all of a sudden they stop scoring. The mavs come back, end up winning the game, tie the series 2-2 and go on to win 4-2. Tons of basketball fans saw Lebron James as the villain of the NBA and enjoyed watching him lose in the finals.

The NBA is a game that can easily be controlled by officials with how close they call fouls and there have been corrupt refs already convicted of trying to fix games.

Then there is the NFL. This year's superbowl is a rematch of what many consider the best superbowl ever, when the giants ended the pats undefeated season. Now, isn't that a much better game for the NFL to display than say 49ers and Ravens who would probably combine for about 13 points?

Look at questionable plays in both championship games. 49ers kick returner muffing two punts leading to easy Giant points. Bradshaw being stripped of the ball, but forward progress being ruled denying the 49ers the fumble recovery (yes it's correct by the rules, but it is never called that strict). The ravens missing a field goal which is made about 98% of the time that would have sent the game into overtime.

There are many other controversial games in the NFL. The Tuck rule between the raiders and pats and the superbowl between the seahawks and steelers where there were 2 or 3 bad calls against the seahawks.

The point [tl;dr], do you think there's a possibility of sports being rigged, and would you still watch if you found out that they were? I really don't sports are rigged and certainly hope they aren't.
[]
I think all sports are rigged. You don't dish out millions of dollars to professional athletes for the love of the sport and because they play well...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
itt: butthurt that the Heat got steamrolled in the finals.

Face it, Lebron sucked that series.

Also, the Ravens and 49ers both could have easily won, but they blew it. THe refs were actually quite good in both of those games.
Quote by LesThanPaul

Look at questionable plays in both championship games. 49ers kick returner muffing two punts leading to easy Giant points.

That is not a questionable play at all. The guy was a back-up and screwed up. It wasn't up to the refs at all.

Edit: THe only sport I would say that even has slight bias by the refs is the NBA since they seem to let the "superstars" get away with everything. But honestly, that would have worked in favor of the Heat in last years finals.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 25, 2012,
This is why I prefer UFC to NFL or whatever has been Americanized (except Hockey, and the occasional race). Pride weighs more than gold
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
If you saw the Giants - Packers game then you'd probably agree the refs had to be bribed...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No. And WWE/WWF isn't a sport. It's clowns that outgrew their clown cars.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I don't think so. I mean, I can understand the refs calling some plays to help a certain team MAYBE, but really only in the NBA, and who cares about that? Other sports I think it really comes down to the best team, and as far as ratings go, the NFL could have found a team that more people care about other than the Giants. It would take too much work for the game to be completely rigged play for play. I mean, look at some of those plays and how easily they could have gone either way.
So the British Bulldog really didn't defeat Bret Hart?

....no.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by chev311e
I don't think so. I mean, I can understand the refs calling some plays to help a certain team MAYBE, but really only in the NBA, and who cares about that? Other sports I think it really comes down to the best team, and as far as ratings go, the NFL could have found a team that more people care about other than the Giants. It would take too much work for the game to be completely rigged play for play. I mean, look at some of those plays and how easily they could have gone either way.

I do!
Quote by genghisgandhi
No offense, but if you actually think this, you're not too bright.

Yep, I'm able to invent new technologies because I'm not too bright. Was just an extremist opinion is all. It's quite binary - it's either rigged or it isn't.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Yep, I'm able to invent new technologies because I'm not too bright. Was just an extremist opinion is all. It's quite binary - it's either rigged or it isn't.

Well if they are rigged, it's not because of that. Athletes are payed a lot because people will pay a lot to see them.
I wouldn't say rigged but I'm sure there has been times when officials have been given enough money to try and push a certain outcome, but for the most part athletes play to win no matter how the officials do their job.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Quote by genghisgandhi
I do!

And my axe.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I think every sport is rigged at some point. Betting scams, possibility of officials being paid off. How often it happens is another matter.
Boxing is way up there IMO.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by darkstar2466
I think all sports are rigged. You don't dish out millions of dollars to professional athletes for the love of the sport and because they play well...

Athletes earn millions of dollars because they bring in millions of dollars in revenue.
You actually think NFL players might be throwing the games, not just the refs? I haven't really heard that one before.

So, did someone pay off the Giants' punt returners to NOT fumble a dozen punts in the rain, on the road, with 50 million people watching on TV, against one of the best punters in the league. Or, if they had fumbled one and the Niners scored, would Williams have had to fumble yet a third punt to make the Giants win?

And did you see how the Giants got screwed against GB? Did the league like GB -- the smallest market team in the league -- more than the NY team?

And guess what, the whistle blew on the Bradshaw play before Bradshaw lost the ball. You can hear it very clearly on TV. If Bradshaw had escaped and scored a TD on that play it wouldn't have counted either.

I don't think sporting events are never fixed. I just think it would be really really hard to fix an NFL game with nobody being suspicious. Was Billy Cundiff paid to miss that FG for Baltimore? How much would they have to pay someone to have to live with that for the rest of his life? There wouldn't be enough money for me to intentionally miss a kick like that.
steelers vs seahawks superbowl. If there was ever a rigged game, it would be that one. I personally think it was but people always call me crazy.
LOL @ TS. If anything, NBA officials want the Heat to win [not five, not six, not seven...but ___] championships, and in fact have tried, and are still trying to rig the game in their favor. Why do you think David Stern did nothing about the signing of Lebron Bosh and Wade to account for 75% of the teams' payroll?

The Mavs overcame that obstacle and deserved to win that series. Don't be so butthurt about it.
Quote by Blackholesun00
LOL @ TS. If anything, NBA officials want the Heat to win [not five, not six, not seven...but ___] championships, and in fact have tried, and are still trying to rig the game in their favor. Why do you think David Stern did nothing about the signing of Lebron Bosh and Wade to account for 75% of the teams' payroll?

The Mavs overcame that obstacle and deserved to win that series. Don't be so butthurt about it.

Very well said.
Quote by Blackholesun00

Why would the NBA want them to win? I would guess that more people hate Lebron James than love him. But that's an interesting point about Stern not blocking it, considering he blocked a trade earlier this season.

And I'm not at all 'butthurt', as a few of you put it, about the heat losing. I don't follow basketball that closely, but I live in Chicago so I root for the Bulls anyway.

And I don't think these sports are rigged, I just thought it was something interesting to think about
[]
Rigged? no.

But ESPN essentially controls College Football, because it has an enormous amount of influence on how people think the teams should be ranked. Especially the whole "SEC is the best" bullshit. ESPN was talking about the LSU/Bama rematch all year long. If they hadn't been, no one would have voted that way.

NBA refs are getting paid to influence the outcomes of games I think. Not necessarily rigging, but influencing. NFL seems pretty much on the up and up. MLB as well.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Rigged? no.

But ESPN essentially controls College Football, because it has an enormous amount of influence on how people think the teams should be ranked. Especially the whole "SEC is the best" bullshit. ESPN was talking about the LSU/Bama rematch all year long. If they hadn't been, no one would have voted that way.

NBA refs are getting paid to influence the outcomes of games I think. Not necessarily rigging, but influencing. NFL seems pretty much on the up and up. MLB as well.

"Voters" had nothing to do with the LSU-Bama rematch. Computers did. And pretty much no one on ESPN wanted that game.
Maybe rigged to some degree, makes me disgusted. I know for sure the NHL might be rigged in the fact that their officiating favours US teams more so than Canadian's.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
NHL is rigged, Buttman hates Canada

Apparently he hates Detroit too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Thrashtastic15
NHL is rigged, Buttman hates Canada

And he's trying to gain more hockey interest down their with more American teams winning the stanley cup, more revenue I guess.
Whether or not they are, they're still good entertainment.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
No, it's pointless. Fuck Kyle Williams though.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by genghisgandhi
"Voters" had nothing to do with the LSU-Bama rematch. Computers did. And pretty much no one on ESPN wanted that game.

The Computers picked Oklahoma State.

It was the coaches and Harris poll that picked LSU vs Bama.

And ESPN very much wanted that game.
Quote by DukeDeRox
Everyone hates Detroit.

Fair point.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Apparently he hates Detroit too.

Everyone hates Detroit

edit: oh shit lol beaten to it, see!
Quote by darkstar2466

This. It's all about money and therefore there's too much money going around to allow risks like luck to come into it too much.
Depends. I think the refs in the NBA are definitely the most easily influenced in professional sports. Such a long season means helping a team here and there to win some games isn't really going to be noticed. Of course, I hate the NBA, so I don't care.

The college football system is idiotic. Don't know if it's rigged, but the rankings will always be up to debate. College basketball seems pretty fair, though the refs definitely help out the home team the majority of the time. Baseball is probably rigged, but again, I don't care about it at all.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Everyone hates Detroit

edit: oh shit lol beaten to it, see!

You're as slow as the Leafs forwards.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You're as slow as the Leafs forwards.

Your references suck, Toronto plays a speed game.
Page 1 of 2