When you play guitar with a pick, does your index finger hit the strings?

I tend to choke up on the pick causing my index finger to often do this, especially when strumming chords. It is only slight contact being made mostly by my index finger nail. I have been playing guitar for about 8-9 years and this has never been much of a problem until recently. The past couple weeks I have been jamming a lot more than usual and the nail on my index finger has chipped off from this heavy playing. This nail has always been slightly weird from playing, but never chipped of this much.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it normal for your index finger to hit the strings when you play and cause the nail to chip away?
It's Cadillac rainbows and lots of spaghetti
And I love meatballs so you better be ready
Yea that's what I'm trying to do. After years of holding the pick this way its hard to hold it any differently. Does the nail of your index finger make any contact with the strings when you play?

This is more of when I am strumming, it doesn't really happen to much with single note stuff.
i noticed in the past 6 moths or so of playing that my index finger nail was also deformed and chipping. my picking style isnt typical; i more-so use my middle finger and thumb, with support from index. i do find sometimes my index scraping along the strings, mostly strumming. i know where your coming from dude, my advice tho... everyone has their own picking style. dont let people tell you how you should or shouldnt pick. its totally up to you.
Yeah I agree with what your saying warbeast. From what I can tell the way I hold it is actually similar to most people's. My finger nail has been deformed and chipped away for years from playing, the only reason I'm really concerned now is because the nail chipped away a pretty substantial amount, way more than it usually is.