I've been noticing recently that while I'm playing that my notes seem to get hidden behind a layer of distortion. Because of this, I feel like I'm not getting the same sound I should be getting. I notice this more so, when playing the lower notes in the Frets 1-5 range. I know what distortion is supposed to do, but it feels like my notes aren't at the forefront of the sound, some of the distortion is.

I use a Line 6 Spider IV 30 and a Digitech RP355 effects processor, the distortion is primarily coming from the RP355, into a clean channel on the Spider IV 30. I'm not running any amp/cab models in the RP355, so that avoids the processor onto a modelling amp issue.

I've tried lowering the gain, but that just seems to remove from the sharpness of the tone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I play metal style guitar, and distortion is an essential for me. The pedal is expendable if that would help the process
Have you tried just using the distortion on the amp? Personally, I can't stand the distortion you get on one of those Line 6s, but it might solve your problem. Maybe you should have a look at getting a new amp
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
so what your trying to say is you need a tighter metal sound??? distortion from pedals wont be a strong as gain from an amp. try using your amps gain before pedals. if that doesn't work, go out and buy a better amp.
Distortion straight from my amp has gotten really flaky sounding recently, and produces really shrill sounding higher notes, thats why I depend mostly on the pedal for my distortion. The pedal doesn't give me the flaky and shrill issues, but it leaves that wall of fuzz that my notes can't get past.
Get a better amp then, seems to be the only answer
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
If a new amp is the best option, any suggestions? Preferably a combo amp in the 30 to 75 watt range.
Quote by jackson4321
blackstar ht 20 / 40. cant go wrong

I can vouch for that
My Soundcloud
My local music store doesn't have blackstar, any other suggestions in the $400 area?
ibanez tube screamer amp. orange tiny terror/ dark terror. mesa boogie mini rec. jet city jca20 or jca22. these arent high wattage amps but you can really push the tubes and they get LOUD. if its not loud enough, theres always a PA option.
Engl Gigmaster. But you should be able to fix the sound on the setup you own. Don´t V-Shape your equalizer, reduce presence until the high distortion is not too dominant. With a reasonable amount of gain you should be fine.
In the $400 dollar range, theres really only a few decent amps.
1. Peavey xxx-used
2. peavey 6505+ 112-used
3.Possibly a 5150 or 6505 212 $400 is pushing it but its doable Ive bought 5150s for less than $400 before.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
i got my b-52 atx-100 for 400. couldnt go wrong! and at all my shows i feel superior to all the other bands playing because im the only one not using a 6505
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.