So I'm looking to get a decent cranked JCM800 sound at a reasonably low volume level. Louder than bedroom level, just not unreasonable for home use. I know that the "magical" sound can only REALLY be achieved by cranking a real JCM800, but I want to get pretty close.

I'm thinking a 20 watt Jet City head boosted with an OD should do the trick. Am I right? Any other suggestions?
That will get you close but 20 watts is still loud as hell. I would look into a class 5 with a boost. Still loud enough to rattle some windows but probably not unreasonable for home use.
Maybe A Blackstar HT-5? I've not actually heard them, but blackstar was started by a couple of marshall engineers, its got to be a pretty close alternative.
they just showed the mini jcm 800 heads at namm if u could wait :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Any budget?

Ok

Fargen Mini Plex

edit
or get an AxeFx and use headphones, lol

Lower budget?
The Jet City will work but would still be loud for bedroom use to get 800 tone.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by EspTro
they just showed the mini jcm 800 heads at namm if u could wait :P

This. But they're pretty expensive for what they are and you'll have to wait a few months.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Power tube breakup really isn't easily accessible at bedroom volumes. I have a 10w Fender Champ 12 that I need earplugs for before the power tubes are distorting.

A Class 5 will probably be the closest, though even cranking that will be loud as shit, and unreasonable depending on where you live/your situation.
The JCM sound comes from Preamp distortion, not poweramp.
You dont NEED to crank a JCM to get those tones.
Just gotta turn it up enough to get those speakers moving.
Same with the JCA20H.
It's all preamp distortion.
Mike Soldano designed it so you dont need to crank it, and it will sound about the same any volume.
Thanks for all the replies! Just to be clear, I don't need a REALLY low volume, as I understand that part of the 800 sound is volume level, whether the amp is an actual jcm or not.

That said, I'll definitely try out the Class 5 and HT-5, though I'm in Canada so Blackstar amps can be a bit of a pain to find up here... still, I'll try. Same with Jet Citys, though I believe there's a store near where I live that carries them.

Axe-fx is a bit too far out of my price range lol, but I know it sounds pretty good!
Quote by darkwolf291
The JCM sound comes from Preamp distortion, not poweramp.
You dont NEED to crank a JCM to get those tones.
Just gotta turn it up enough to get those speakers moving.
Same with the JCA20H.
It's all preamp distortion.
Mike Soldano designed it so you dont need to crank it, and it will sound about the same any volume.

Yes but "getting the speakers moving" requires a rather high volume level, especially considering I'll mostly be using the amp at home. It's not like a JCM with gain dimed sounds just as good on master 1 as it does on, say, master 5, right?
thtguy: theres no distributor of Jet city in canada anymore .. axe music and a few local shop used to carry them , but they wont received the newer model ..( like jca22h )etc.. you can still probably find a jca 20 .. but make sure you will have full warranty cause i was told that nobody distributed them in canada .

just to make sure that if something happen you wont be stuck with your amp and no warranty .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
A one trick pony is an old Marshall Lead 12 combo or better yet, the head. Sure it is solid state, but when you run it via the line out into something else, it gives up the JCM800 vibe... hit the HI input with a hot pickup, dime the gain, roll back the volume, and use the something else to control the overall volume.

Either that, or get a Marshall Guv'nor MKI.
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
Yes but "getting the speakers moving" requires a rather high volume level, especially considering I'll mostly be using the amp at home. It's not like a JCM with gain dimed sounds just as good on master 1 as it does on, say, master 5, right?

Getting the speaker moving does not require massive amounts of volume.
Using it whisper quiet as opposed to TV volumes wont sound the same because the speaker isnt moving as much.
Quote by irnmadn88
A one trick pony is an old Marshall Lead 12 combo or better yet, the head. Sure it is solid state, but when you run it via the line out into something else, it gives up the JCM800 vibe... hit the HI input with a hot pickup, dime the gain, roll back the volume, and use the something else to control the overall volume.

Either that, or get a Marshall Guv'nor MKI.

I'll be damned if I could ever find one here.