ive had my RG7321 for a little over a month now and ever since i went up to 10's from 9's i just cant get it set up properly. to be specific:

open strings dont buzz, but the 4 lower strings start to buzz when fretting more so around the 5th fret and up.

the damn thing just wont intonate

now i know i should be trying to look passed the fact that its a cheaper model guitar and i shouldn't be able to get it PERFECT but i mean i was able to setup my cheaper ltd m-50 and various other low end guitars just fine.....

what i have done is try to raise and lower the action to various heights, adjusted truss rod and even allowed time for compensation over night.

through all of this im just not able to get it to a point where its at reasonable action without any buzz or rattle.

any ideas?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Give your neck a little more relief with the truss rod. raise action on the bass side.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Give your neck a little more relief with the truss rod. raise action on the bass side.

relief being more of a bow?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Yeah. Less straight.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do not do more than a 1/8th turn at a time. Small, gradual adjustments are best. Be sure to tune back to pitch after adjusting. You will not notice an effect until you put tension back on the neck.
as for an update for whoever still is interested,

gave some neck relief about 1 quarter turn and a half at a time (as i did in the past as well). havnt noticed anything yet. i might make another adjustment and check back in the morning.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Haven't noticed a difference at all? How much total relief did you give it?

Tune to pitch, capo the first fret, hold down the E string at the 15th fret and and measure the gap at the 7th fret at each adjustment.
What are you tuning to? What gauge strings specifically are you using?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What are you tuning to? What gauge strings specifically are you using?

10's (7 string Daddario strings) half step down from standard 7 string tuning.... am i tuning to high or something?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
My initial thought was that you just don't have enough tension, causing everything to be bad.

But half a step down with 10's shouldn't be an issue. What is the gauge of the low 7th string?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
10-59 my man
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by danvwman
Bring it to a pro.....$35 should do it up good.

i mean i thought about it but im not a noob at setting up and i kinda owe it to myself to get this right
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i mean i thought about it but im not a noob at setting up and i kinda owe it to myself to get this right

I find anything lower than a .062" to be too thin for a low B. I have a .066" on my 7 right now in Bb and it's fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I find anything lower than a .062" to be too thin for a low B. I have a .066" on my 7 right now in Bb and it's fine.

just reading through my old threads but wtf? a .62 is way to heavy for a low B. that wouldnt even fit your nut and tuner withuot modding.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
what i have done is try to raise and lower the action to various heights, adjusted truss rod and even allowed time for compensation over night.
If that's all you think guitar set-up is, then you need to research it more. My recommendation is you take it to a local guitar shop & let them set it up.

Edit:
Quote by EspTro
just reading through my old threads but wtf? a .62 is way to heavy for a low B. that wouldnt even fit your nut and tuner withuot modding.
You do realize there's people (like myself) who use 60 on their 6strings. A 62 is lightweight. I'd prefer a 70. Oh, and (unless it's one of my custom tunings) I despise non-standard tuning; so, I'm not using heavier guages because I'd tune down a step or two.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 5, 2012,
My son likes drop C on his 6 string cuz he plays meat metal, so I got his Beast set up with a 63 on the low end and moved the 48 that was there to the 5th string. (or is that 2nd? I'm always doing it backwards, and now that I know that, I do it backwards twice and I'm still backwards!) So the complete set is 9-13-18-27-48-63. I had to add another spring on the trem. I didn't fiddle with the truss rod at all. There is a wee bit of buzz so I might have to raise the action, but since he's also using lots of distortion most of the time, I don't know how important it will be.

Oops, long story for nothing.

The thing I meant to say is that heaver strings just have to move farther, so you cant keep the low action that you had before the heavier string was switched in. Look at a bass guitar's action. Knowing that there will be more tension with heavier strings, you can expect there will automatically be more relief (less straight). It shouldn't be possible to have less relief with more tension unless you mess with the truss rod. So if you dropped the action too much, you will get buzzing. Not all truss rods are as effective as they should be. And some necks go like spaghetti with too much truss rod tension.