Alright, I've been messing around with finger picking and I've noticed I anchor my thumb a lot, and I heard anchoring your pinkey is pretty bad when using a pick. Does the same rule apply to finger picking?

edit: This is on guitar, but I also do it on bass.
Heres a picture similar to what I'm talking about:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/sbparker01/IMG_1463.jpg
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 25, 2012,
Most bass players who I've seen finger pick anchor their thumb for the most part.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
If you're anchoring on your strings then there's no problem. If it's anchored above them then that's just weird. I'm assuming this is about guitar fingerpicking though
Don't You use Your thumb while finger picking? Thumb is responsible for bass strings.
it's actually worse to anchor for finger-picking, in fact the issue with anchoring comes originally from classical guitar, as anchoring can slow you down, but using a pick it doesn't really matter if you anchor or not, it has some benefits for shred-style guitar (look of videos of shredders many of them anchor) but that's about it
Usually I'd suggest it's personal preference, but anchoring your thumb for finger picking would be a nasty habit to develop. As you improve and branch out you'll probably struggle to start picking bass notes!

I'd suggest taking a (relatively) easy picking song like Blackbird by The Beatles and use it to develop strength and to become comfortable using all of your digits for picking. It'll be a massive help later on!
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by Aays
If you're anchoring on your strings then there's no problem. If it's anchored above them then that's just weird. I'm assuming this is about guitar fingerpicking though

It actually is, I should have specified that earlier. And I anchored it on the E string, and when I'm playing deeper notes I move up to the pickup.

Quote by Bad Kharmel
it's actually worse to anchor for finger-picking, in fact the issue with anchoring comes originally from classical guitar, as anchoring can slow you down, but using a pick it doesn't really matter if you anchor or not, it has some benefits for shred-style guitar (look of videos of shredders many of them anchor) but that's about it

It actually is really bad if you anchor your pinky while finger picking. I've use to do it and I eventually broke that habit, and found it's a lot easier to move across the strings than anchoring.
Quote by roythereaper
Usually I'd suggest it's personal preference, but anchoring your thumb for finger picking would be a nasty habit to develop. As you improve and branch out you'll probably struggle to start picking bass notes!

I'd suggest taking a (relatively) easy picking song like Blackbird by The Beatles and use it to develop strength and to become comfortable using all of your digits for picking. It'll be a massive help later on!

This is on guitar, but I do it on bass to. I was asking because I've never noticed I did it before, and now I realized "I'm always pushing on the side of the pickup or E string" and am making sure whether or not it's a habit to break.

I don't push down on the top of the guitar though.

It's pretty similar to what this guy's doing, but I'm not anchoring my pinkey at the same time.

Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 25, 2012,
If you can control it for what sounds you want and change where its resting easily it can be a good thing, in fact some techniques for increasing speed with free-stroke arpeggios actually are based on resting your finger on the string before you play a note, but if you trip over it or end up muting things you don't want muted its bad.
If you're still using your thumb to play the low strings, I don't think there's any problem as that isn't exactly anchoring. However, in the picture you are anchoring your pinky to the body, which is bad.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Anchoring bs

Go read the stickies pls.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Anchoring the thumb "P" on the bass strings helps to stabilize the right hand while you're using the fingers "I," "M," and "A." Anchoring your pinky "C" on the guitar restricts the natural motion of the hand, creates excess tension, and is not recommended.

If you find that your thumb is pressing into the strings, practice exercises in which you can focus on the placement and pressure of your thumb until your break that habit. Work basic IMA arpeggio patterns, but don't tense your thumb..
It's only bad if there's tension and/or if it limits your range of motion. If one or both of those is the case, fix it. If not, it's not a problem.

/thread
One issue I'm having (only on guitar, I don't really ahve this issue on bass) is I pick some notes louder than others on different fingers. I only notice this when it's plugged into a amp though, but it's very noticeable.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
One issue I'm having (only on guitar, I don't really ahve this issue on bass) is I pick some notes louder than others on different fingers. I only notice this when it's plugged into a amp though, but it's very noticeable.

I was the same way. For me, finger and thumb picks were the solution.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
I was the same way. For me, finger and thumb picks were the solution.

Yeah I think my problem is I was use to picking with nails and then I cut them all off and now I'm not use to the distance change.