I've been playing for about 8 months and looking to get a new guitar. I have a starter guitar right now, the neck is warped, the pickups are garbage and I'm just looking to get a more quality instrument. I am still in the process of finding my sound. Looking for something relatively affordable, no gibsons or anything. Any suggestions? Was thinking a used fender stratocaster
Quote by Baker.yatyas
I've been playing for about 8 months and looking to get a new guitar. I have a starter guitar right now, the neck is warped, the pickups are garbage and I'm just looking to get a more quality instrument. I am still in the process of finding my sound. Looking for something relatively affordable, no gibsons or anything. Any suggestions? Was thinking a used fender stratocaster

Your first flaw is coming here for advice.

Your next flaw is judging your guitar without knowing anything about other guitars.
This much I can say: unless your budget starts around $400 minimum, you're not going to find a new guitar significantly better than what you've already played to death.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
This much I can say: unless your budget starts around $400 minimum, you're not going to find a new guitar significantly better than what you've already played to death.

That's poor advice. If you think price dictates quality, then you must have wasted a lot of money.
in regards to the $400. it won't buy you a whole lot new. used however you can pick up a ton of different guitars.

easily an LTD EC400/401, if patient EC1000's will pop up for that.

i got a killer deal yesterday, i picked up a Ibanez 2570 Pesetige with case and case candy for $380

you could get a MIM strat/tele/most other fender for less than that. the MIM's should be less than $300 or you are paying too much, or the guitar has something on it you really want.

i haven't owned one, but i have tried one for a short while, but they are loved on here. Agile. i think you can get quite a lot of good stuff new.

schecter has nice guitars in the price range that are used, again i don't own one, but they are nice guitars.

most of this i have seen on my craigslist for similar prices. also check out used.guitarcenter.com
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's poor advice. If you think price dictates quality, then you must have wasted a lot of money.

No, I don't think price dictates quality, but IME, if you're looking for a significant upgrade in quality from a cheap starter guitar that got trashed in 8 months, $400 is about the basement for the next step up as a rule of thumb for a brand new guitar.

There will be exceptions based on region, brand, model, and even the occasional sale/discount*. There are some pretty crappy $600 guitars out there, and $1000+ guitars I won't touch.

* my favorite discounts are for cosmetic scratches and the "I don't want to move my inventory" sales. I currently have a line on an $800 semihollow with a single scratch for $530, and picked up a luthier's slightly scratched hollowbody for 67% off. When that luthier moved shop, he offered me a similar deal on some of his inventory.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by Buck's Student

I believe he means look for a used guitar.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
No, I don't think price dictates quality, but IME, if you're looking for a significant upgrade in quality from a cheap starter guitar that got trashed in 8 months, $400 is about the basement for the next step up as a rule of thumb for a brand new guitar.

There will be exceptions based on region, brand, model, and even the occasional sale/discount. There are some pretty crappy $600 guitars out there, and $1000+ guitars I won't touch.

You're generalizing, though. If there are crappy 1000 dollar guitars, then who says there is not a quality 400 buck or less instrument?

The new Fender Modern Player series has incredible quality, btw.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

schecter has nice guitars in the price range that are used, again i don't own one, but they are nice guitars.

Yeah, I found a Hellraiser C-1 FR (I believe 85/81 & OFR) for $400.
Quote by Buck's Student
You're generalizing, though. If there are crappy 1000 dollar guitars, then who says there is not a quality 400 buck or less instrument?

The new Fender Modern Player series has incredible quality, btw.

regardless of the new v. used thing, $400 is kind of a tier to a higher quality, or at least was a few years ago. the LTD400 used to be at or around $400, Jackson had significantly better guitars at whatever series of guitars it was that were around $400 it is a common price and a lot of competition between the manufacturers. more competition lower the price cp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by N1K156
Yeah, I found a Hellraiser C-1 FR (I believe 85/81 & OFR) for $400.

i traded a MIM tele ($250 into it) and $50 for a faded Gibson SG. if you get lucky you get deals like that. just watch classifieds.

deals are out there if you need to look. IMO its foolish to buy new the way the market is. since the moment you walk out of the door, you lose 30-40% in most cases.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Buck's Student

Yes, I am generalizing- that's why I said "as a rule of thumb"- and without more info from the OP about what his requirements are, generalizing is about all that can be done.

Quote by N1K156
I believe he means look for a used guitar.

For quality sub-$400, pretty much yes.

Again, it's subjective. It comes down to what the OP likes, which he even isn't sure of.

He's fishing for specific models.
You can easily get a used Schecter at a very high quality for cheap. For some odd reason they do not hold their value at all. They are great instruments overall and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I could have gotten an elite last year for about 2-300 used. I just don't like actives and the prior owner had changed the strap location more then a few times (it looked really bad, and some positions didn't make sense). For that price you can get a really high quality one, for even 200 you can depending on what you're looking for.
My nickel:
1. Answer the questions in the link on the 2nd post.
2. Do a little research, come up with a list of guitars and post it here for our opinions.
3. After hearing some of our opinions, narrow down the list and go to your local guitar store and play the guitars on that new list.
4. Buy the one that sounds and feels the best for you!
5. Bring'er home and rock out
Last edited by N1K156 at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by N1K156
My nickel:
1. Answer the questions in the link on the 2nd post.
2. Do a little research, come up with a list of guitars and post it here for our opinions.
3. After hearing some of our opinions, narrow down the list and go to your local guitar store and play the guitars on that new list.
4. Buy the one that sounds and feels the best for you!
5. Bring'er home and rock out

+1
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.