So I don't know much about music theory (working on learning it) and I need help with a progression I like. So far I have Am-Asus2-Em-D, and I want to know what other chords would work well with it. Also, what key is it in, I think it's Am but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help.
Hey man, your in a mode of G-major, if it was in Aminor you would have Dminor not D. G is: G(major) A(minor) B(minor) C(major) D(major) E(minor) and F#(diminished) G again.

if you were in A minor it would be the key of C. (C D E F G A B) which does not have D major everything else would be considered in both keys though. so if you throw out the D major you could play in modes of G and C. But if your sticking to one key you can try any of the above and it will be right, since your doing a minor mode and using mostly minors try to throw that 3rd in there, the B if you can do bar chords or mess around with the power...do single note runs with either the second mode A or third B and it will mix quite well
Quote by tman267
So I don't know much about music theory (working on learning it) and I need help with a progression I like. So far I have Am-Asus2-Em-D, and I want to know what other chords would work well with it. Also, what key is it in, I think it's Am but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help.

You can do Am-Asus2-Em-D Am-Asus2-Em-C-D where the second time C and D togheter lasts as long as D in the first time.
Just go with your ideas it'll sound so much better.
Quote by ToolFan5221
Hey man, your in a mode of G-major.
if you were in A minor it would be the key of C

Don't listen to this guy.
G major isn't a mode and if you are in A minor you are in the key of A...
Quote by liampje
Don't listen to this guy.
G major isn't a mode and if you are in A minor you are in the key of A...

He isn't saying that G major is a mode. You could look at it as a progression in A dorian, which is a mode of G major
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
He isn't saying that G major is a mode. You could look at it as a progression in A dorian, which is a mode of G major

He said that the progression was in the mode of G major.
The can't point to more than one thing.
Btw if modes still exicsted then there is no A dorian is a mode of G major, A dorian is A dorian period.
Silly...

tman, you could be in either A minor or E minor, whichever you like! The first 3 chords are shared by both keys, and although the D chord is in they key of E minor only, it's very often borrowed (house of the rising sun, etc.).

For example, try: Am Asus2, Em, D, F, G and you're definitely in A minor.

Try: Am Asus2, Em, D, C, G, D, you could still be in either key of A minor or E minor.

BUT, try Am Asus2, Em, D, C, B

or

Am Asus2, Em, D, C, Bm

And then I'd say your home is in E minor.

Anyway, there;s some ideas. Good Luck finding what you're looking for.
Quote by liampje
He said that the progression was in the mode of G major.
The can't point to more than one thing.
Btw if modes still exicsted then there is no A dorian is a mode of G major, A dorian is A dorian period.

Dude, he wrote 'a mode of G major', not 'the mode of G major'. As in, a mode using the same notes as G major. A dorian has the same notes as G major. I'm not actually a big believer in modes, you'd have to hear the piece with the melody really to tell what it resolves to
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by bouttimeijoined
Silly...

tman, you could be in either A minor or E minor, whichever you like! The first 3 chords are shared by both keys, and although the D chord is in they scale of E minor only, it's very often borrowed from A major (house of the rising sun, etc.).

For example, try: Am Asus2, Em, D, F, G and you're definitely in A minor.

Try: Am Asus2, Em, D, C, G, D, you could still be in either key of A minor or E minor.

BUT, try Am Asus2, Em, D, C, B

or

Am Asus2, Em, D, C, Bm

And then I'd say your home is in E minor.

Anyway, there;s some ideas. Good Luck finding what you're looking for.

fixed.
OMFG another modes missconception thread!!

A must read :P incredibly well and short explained..
(also the easiest way not to get lynched on these forums)
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/AlanHB/blog/100719/
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by ToolFan5221
Hey man, your in a mode of G-major, if it was in Aminor you would have Dminor not D. G is: G(major) A(minor) B(minor) C(major) D(major) E(minor) and F#(diminished) G again.

if you were in A minor it would be the key of C. (C D E F G A B) which does not have D major everything else would be considered in both keys though. so if you throw out the D major you could play in modes of G and C. But if your sticking to one key you can try any of the above and it will be right, since your doing a minor mode and using mostly minors try to throw that 3rd in there, the B if you can do bar chords or mess around with the power...do single note runs with either the second mode A or third B and it will mix quite well

To sum up: It's probably Am, with the D major taken from A major. That's the easiest way to look at it.
My Soundcloud
Quote by Paddy McK
To sum up: It's probably Am, with the D major taken from A major. That's the easiest way to look at it.

The easiest way to look at it is saying A is your key note and nothing more than that.
The more I post about these subjects the more I think xiaoxi is somewhat right about his no scales thing.
I actually... mostly... agree with... Liam???????? I never thought I'd say that. Other than that last point. Saying Dmaj is taken from A major isn't really talking about scales, it's talking about keys and borrowed chords. And knowing you can borrow chords from the parallel key is important in not saying things like this:

Hey man, your in a mode of G-major, if it was in Aminor you would have Dminor not D.

All that aside, it is pretty well impossible to actually tell what key this is without and context because those chords could go almost anywhere. So, OP, where does it want to go?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I actually... mostly... agree with... Liam???????? I never thought I'd say that. Other than that last point. Saying Dmaj is taken from A major isn't really talking about scales, it's talking about keys and borrowed chords. And knowing you can borrow chords from the parallel key is important in not saying things like this:

All that aside, it is pretty well impossible to actually tell what key this is without and context because those chords could go almost anywhere. So, OP, where does it want to go?

It's about damn time :p+ sigged.
Last edited by liampje at Jan 26, 2012,