Page 1 of 3
What do you usually do when you're talking to someone? Do you look in their eyes while you're talking, or do you look at something else? And what do you look at when they're talking?

This can be about anyone, but I'm most curious as to what people do with the opposite sex, or someone they might like in general.

I usually look at the girl in her eyes, to let her know I'm paying attention to what she's saying. When I'm talking I make glances at them but sometimes I look slightly away from them, but I don't look at anything in particular.
If they're someone that I know might like me or is intimidated by me (which is sometimes the case with a pretty preppy girl who only sees me as a metalhead) I kind of stare them right in their eyes, but I smile most of the time. It's usually a signal I have for "I know you might not like me, but I'm trying to be nice, so lighten up a bit."
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
I often don't create long periods of eye contact. I'm more inclined to watch someone while they're speaking, but when I speak, I tend to look around a bit. Not so much that it may be distracting, I think, but I feel like constant eye contact is a little unnerving for most people (including myself).
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Don't really think about it. I find I get too self conscious if I do.

Reminds me, my doctor has really pale eyes, and whenever I visit him I'm like fuckin frodo in front of sauron, that guy creeps the shit out of me
Yea whenever I'm talking to a random person, especially like an older person, I feel awkward just staring at their eyes while they talk. But I also feel weird just looking around a little bit while they talk. With a girl that I know or something, I have no problem making more eye contact to make it look like I'm paying attention and possibly interested.
Eye contact, and legitimately listen.

If I'm not interested in what they have to say, I wouldn't be talking to them.

Edit: But I do periodically glance at something else to not make whoever it is uncomfortable.

Oh and there's a difference between eye contact and staring, guys.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jan 25, 2012,
I avoid it. Just a thing I grew up with; it's considered disrespectful where I come from. Not that I should give a shit, but I don't like people peering into the depths of my soul, regardless of my upbringing. D:
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I wish my eyes made eye contact for me instead of me having to regulate it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I think the underlying question here is: do you keep eye contact when you masturbate? I try, but it gets hard.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If by eye contact you mean stare at a girl's boobs, then yes. I always maintain eye contact.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Depends who I talk to and how interested I am.

Women I look in the eyes and casually glance away now and again.

Guys who are talking about interesting stuff I look in the eyes and casually glance away...
Guys who are talking about bullshit I wont even look at. My 'friend' mark hasnt had eye contact from me in months. Talks about stupid shit, is stupid, and smelly. Lies alot too.

When in okanogan lake last year I looked my buddy right in the eyes while peeing. That was weird. Turns out he was takin a piss too.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 25, 2012,
I'm good at keeping natural eye contact without forcing it, but I generally prefer not keeping much eye contact. It's not a massive urge, but a general preference. I usually do this with good friends though.
I keep eye contact but everyone avoids looking at me it seems. I'm not the most friendly looking person either Or I'm just fugly XD
Because, Boobs
Every time you make eye contact during a conversation simply say"I have you know" and then continue your conversation as if the phrase you just used was normal. Do this every time eye contact occurs throughout the conversation no matter what. Its a great way to pick up chicks.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
I make eye contact on purpose if speaking, it's a part of body language. I also make eye contact If I'm listening too.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 25, 2012,
I never make eye contact.

I probably pass off as inconsiderate and disrespectful.....but I just can't do it for some reason.

I never notice where I'm looking when talking to someone....it's like I go blind for the amount of time I'm talking to them ha ha ha
I try to make eye contact so they know I'm listening to them, but I find it hard. It just seems very awkward for some reason.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I make eye contact whenever possible, but if someone won't break eye contact with me it gets a bit strange. I generally use it with body language to break the possible monotony of two people staring each other down.

I try to make eye contact so they know I'm listening to them, but I find it hard. It just seems very awkward for some reason.

Yeah, happens on occasion. I was trying to talk to my theory professor today, and while I tried to match his eye contact, I couldn't because he had eye contact the entire time and it was really strange to me as we talked.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Jan 25, 2012,
I look at the face, nothing specific really. Staring into the eyes makes things awkward.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Guess it depends. Mostly I make eye contact and glance away occasionally. However, with the girl I've been hanging out with lately I usually make pretty solid eye contact with throughout the conversation. Come to think of it, it's kind of different. I can't think of anyone else I do that with.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I find it really hard to make eye contact now. When I was younger it was easy, but it makes me feel really awkward and self consious now, especially when I'm speaking to a girl I like. So I just do the occasional glance to assure the person I'm listening. But it's still a challenge for me.

Anyone got any ideas to help me out with this?
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
You gotta find the balance. Too much is rapist/scary/weird, too little is "disrespectful"
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
When I'm talking to my close (guy) friends, I tend to just dart all around. I never look in the same place for more than a second. When I'm talking to my close (girl) friends, I tend to look them in the eye, yet still occasionally look away to reinforce the fact that I'm not trying to stare them down or anything.

When I'm talking to people that I don't know, though, I keep a straight face (No smile, eye contact all the way through. I have a f***ing killer poker face) and don't talk much.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by WCPhils

When I talk to people, I try not to position a conversation where I'm just in their face. Hand motions are also great in that it catches their eye so you avoid creating that awkward gaze
Quote by Cianyx
When I talk to people, I try not to position a conversation where I'm just in their face. Hand motions are also great in that it catches their eye so you avoid creating that awkward gaze

Or you don't have to stand directly in front of them. Stand beside them or something.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by Tessalate
Or you don't have to stand directly in front of them. Stand beside them or something.

Absolutely.

Quote by Trizek
Anyone got any ideas to help me out with this?

I usually break it after every 'chunk' of conversation -- I'll make eye contact when saying something, breaking it once I'm done and reforging it when she replies. It's pretty much a 3 second burst each time.
I hate making eyecontact, been trying to improve this as of late though. Usually I'll make eyecontact for about 1-3 seconds, then glance somewhere else (not really sure where, just away from their gaze ). The majority of the conversation is me not making eyecontact though, I just feel incredibly awkward. When the contact happens it feels like everything we say has more "weight" and connection, I dunno, it's weird.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I sometimes look at their mouth as I'm slightly deaf.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I sometimes look at their mouth as I'm slightly deaf.

Mainly this. I try to have eye contact but not too much or too intensely
I don't lose eye contact unless something around us is being referenced or to take a look at their hands if they are using dramatic body language. I also don't blink often, but for the most part I look straight on for long periods, I can tell it makes some people nervous lol.
I've recently noticed that I stare at people's mouths when they're talking.
I was talking to my doctor the other day and he was asking routine questions and he came to "do you smoke marijuana" and my eyes darted away...then I realized that I was being so obvious so I went to eye contact....then realized I wasn't making eye contact at all before so now it was really weird. There was a pause and he continued on with the questions.

I don't pay attention to what I'm looking at when talking...but to be honest I probably never look at people and seem very rude.
Depends on who I'm talking to. Sometimes I stare intensely into their eyes and try to lick my lips as often as I can, and sometimes I do everything I can to avoid eye contact.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Depends on who I'm talking to. Sometimes I stare intensely into their eyes and try to lick my lips as often as I can, and sometimes I do everything I can to avoid eye contact.

That's creepy, yo.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I try to make eye contact. I don't usually have a problem with people my age, but when it comes to authority and stuff I can get nervous if I think about making eye contact.
Page 1 of 3