So once I get some extra cash I'm going to buy an sm57. What else do I need? Should I get monitors or just some good studio headphones or something? 8 track recorder or audio interface? What are the pros and cons of each of these? (specific recommendations would be awesome, keep in mind I'm young and poor)
Where do you want to go with it? If you're just recording guitar, a single sm57 will work for your mic. You'll need a mic cable and mic stand. Some sort of interface also. For the interface, the number of inputs depends on what you want to do. For just guitar, a one or two input interface will work just fine, but if you are recording drums, you'll need more inputs (and more mics). Monitors or headphones are pretty important as well.

Before recommending specific equipment, what's your budget and plans for recording?
Before you waste money on a SM57 (or waste my time trying to fix your shitty SM57 sound), what amp do you plan on micing? If its a cheap solid state amp, Peavy Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix, or $500 or less Tube Amp, don't waste your money on a SM57.

You'll need an Audio Interface. Pick up the Focusrite Scarlette 2i2
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I have a fender hot rod deluxe, but I play mostly acoustic instruments and I want to record my voice. Would the SM57 be a bad choice then?
Quote by bobbymcgee69
I have a fender hot rod deluxe, but I play mostly acoustic instruments and I want to record my voice. Would the SM57 be a bad choice then?

A dreadful choice!

What you need is a large diaphragm condenser mic.

If you're on a budget, they make decent ones that plug directly into a USB port on your PC.
I only have a £60 USB condenser mic (Samson C01U), which is by no means the best available, but the quality is still more than good enough for radio-quality demos:

In a mix, recorded properly:

http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/old-man-neil-young-kyle-may
http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/runningman

This is a raw room recording - the mic itself is just lying on its side on my computer desk while I'm a few feet away playing guitar and singing: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/you-were-right
Don't knock the SM57, it's maybe not the best for vocals but it's still a good mic
Quote by Twidler
Don't knock the SM57, it's maybe not the best for vocals but it's still a good mic

Yeah, but if he's mostly recording acoustic and vocals, and not an amp, it would be a pretty poor choice in this situation.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Twidler

Would you knock a school bus for coming last in the Monaco Grand prix? Of course not, you'd accept that it's simply the wrong tool for the job.

Although taking your kids to school in a Ferrari F1 car would definitely improve their social standing.
I've been looking at the Blue Yeti mic and really like recordings I've heard of it, would that be a good choice? It's a little more pricey but I don't want to buy a crappy one then have to upgrade soon after. I know I like music so it's not one of those situations where the whole "just get your feet wet first to see if you actually like it, then invest more" is plausible.
If you're on a budget, the cheapest way to get started is with an interface & some PC software. If you're young though (that could mean anything depending on your perspective...), do you have sole access to your PC or is it shared with your family? If you don't have access to it all the time, a multitracker would be better so you have it when you need it. They're easier to get started with, but are also a slightly higher initial outlay (although they can be purchased used for less money).

Pros & cons of each are discussed in this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484065

Hope it helps.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by bobbymcgee69
I've been looking at the Blue Yeti mic and really like recordings I've heard of it, would that be a good choice?

Yeah, it's a damn good mic. Go for it.
On another note, will I need monitors or studio headphones in order to make recordings that are demo acceptable?
Get a decent pair of monitors. Make sure they have 6" drivers.

Also, NEVER underestimate the importance of room treatment.

I have $700 monitors, and after I moved, all my mixes turned out sh!tty until I invested in my room.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.