I've played guitar for a while now, but not all that many different guitars and amps. Right now I'm using a Squire by Fender Strat and a Fender Pro185 amp. I'm really starting to get bored with what i can do with this setup. I have been looking at guitars and amps here lately. I was wanting to know how good a Les Paul 100 would go with a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp. I am the kind of person who likes to play metal with good distortion; would this be a good setup for me? Also I'm looking to spend at most $400.
One more thing i like listening to Lamb of God, Slayer, AC/DC, Ect.... If that helps.
Not really. That guitar is pretty crappy for the price.
The vypyr will fit nicely, but I recommend buying a 30w and buying a used RG, or ltd.
Alright thanks. RG and ltd? I'm really not familiar with those names. My arms are short so i really need something with a short fretboard.
Get a Peavey 30W (I have one, they're great!) ~$200

And then go to www.rondomusic.com and look at the guitars they have there. for $200 you can probably get something significantly better than a squier strat
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Rg321

Very hard to go wrong with this.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Not really. That guitar is pretty crappy for the price.

You gotta love the intellectual advice of Ultimate Guitar!
Actually, the price for the LP100s has dropped considerably. Currently, it's only about $50 over the Special 2s which is pretty decent.

I still wouldn't get one though, I'd go for the standard cause a Les Paul's gotta have binding.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Buck's Student
You gotta love the intellectual advice of Ultimate Guitar!

You want more eloquent details?
I just nutshell'd it.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
You want more eloquent details?
I just nutshell'd it.

No, you gave your opinion, which is already flawed by your language.
Wow guy. Way to come into eg as a complete unknown and bash every post you come across.
Its the ****ing internet. Im a ****ing construction worker. Get over it.
go used and be patient. IMO i wouldn't advise an amp (especially a modeling amp) with less than a 12" speaker. i don't remember what size vypyr is, go for the 12" speaker model to a smaller one. playing different the different sizes of the various modeling amps, the 12" models sound better.

i am sure i will get flamed for it, its just my opinion though.

there are some excelent 10"" speakers on the market, they have used on tons of monumental songs/albums,etc. so i am not saying not to get one in general.

even though there are good 10's out there none of which would do what the vypyr would want (at this point i have questioned enough to feel comfortable playing, the vypyr would want a flat response speaker.

flame shield up!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Wow guy. Way to come into eg as a complete unknown and bash every post you come across.
Its the ****ing internet. Im a ****ing construction worker. Get over it.

You joined in December 2011. I joined in '09. I may be "unknown," but I'm not trolling threads acting like my opinion is fact.

If you're a construction worker, which I didn't really need to know, then you should know something about build quality. I don't believe Squiers are bad instruments at all; when you have a solidly made instrument, you have a basis for a good sound through modification.

And if you realize that this is the "f-ing" internet, than you should realize you are posting among thousands of players. Your opinion is no more special than others.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
go used and be patient. IMO i wouldn't advise an amp (especially a modeling amp) with less than a 12" speaker. i don't remember what size vypyr is, go for the 12" speaker model to a smaller one. playing different the different sizes of the various modeling amps, the 12" models sound better.

i am sure i will get flamed for it, its just my opinion though.

there are some excelent 10"" speakers on the market, they have used on tons of monumental songs/albums,etc. so i am not saying not to get one in general.

even though there are good 10's out there none of which would do what the vypyr would want (at this point i have questioned enough to feel comfortable playing, the vypyr would want a flat response speaker.

flame shield up!

He could get a Peavey bandit 112.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Your not trolling threads? Lol.
Join date means nothing.

The lp100 is crap. Its not an opinion. Theres similarly priced lps that are far better in every way.
Construction worker was my piss poor excuse for the language/ grammar.

Also trashed the vypyr 30 has a 12'' speaker.
Guys, he's asking for advice on a GUITAR.

OP, go to a store, play the instruments, buy the one you like best, and don't expect someone to think for you.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Join date means nothing.

The lp100 is crap. Its not an opinion. Theres similarly priced lps that are far better in every way.

1. You haven't been here long, obviously.

2. Saying something "is crap" is an opinion. You did graduate high school, didn't you?

3. You're limiting yourself by saying you're a construction worker. It's a poor excuse.

4. Again, that's your opinion. I think you need to learn the difference between subjective and objective statements.
1. You've given no useful advice other then go play guitars for yourself.
2. You've obviously never played an lp100.
3. Weve covered that.
4. Objectively speaking , you are a douchebag.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
1. You've given no useful advice other then go play guitars for yourself.
2. You've obviously never played an lp100.
3. Weve covered that.
4. Objectively speaking , you are a douchebag.

Okay, buddy. Whatever.
Quote by Buck's Student

Okay, buddy. Whatever.

do you have an MBA? if not you are sure aren't qualified. being from Georgia i am sure you have heard of USF and UF.

Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Join date means nothing.

leave stonedcold alone. who cares that he is a construction worker? doesn't mean anything. i know a lot of people who are. they are fine people. humble and in most cases very respectable.

thanks for the info on the 12", in the vypyr i can't remember everything... lol.

joining date doesn't mean a damn thing to me. i have seen stoned cold on here a lot, i don't recall seeing you much. hell i don't even remember when i joined. i had five years on HC before here anyways. people go to different places. join date has nothing to do with knowledge, ability, or anything else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by Buck's Student
Guys, he's asking for advice on a GUITAR.

OP, go to a store, play the instruments, buy the one you like best, and don't expect someone to think for you.

+1
Also, please stop bashing each other...
Back to the OP...

I have a Vintage LP V100 and a Vypyr 15 and I love the setup. The Vypyr is extremely versatile with PLENTY of power for practicing. I played the Roland Cube and the Spider IV and the Vypyr was the best by far IMO. I know Vintage is a UK brand but I've seen them on the US CL and FleaBay. Agile is a good choice too. I played the Epi LP and the Jay Turser. The Vintage was the hands-down winner for tone as well as build. Other than that you could look into a Burny or a Tokai but we're talking considerably more $$$. Good luck!
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
I had a Squier Fat Strat for about a year or so, until I bought a used Ibanez RG170DX from my friend (I needed 24 frets then).

Before getting the Ibanez, I found the Squier to work perfectly fine with my Peavey Vypyr. I got some half decent tones from the Vypyr back in the day. Like people have said, I'd recommend the Ibanez RG321. Great guitars, fixed bridge, 25.5 inch scale neck, overall solid build.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
The LP100 is an all around bad guitar.. Looks bad, sounds bad, built cheap. Essentially its a Epiphone Special II with another volume and tone knob... Best advice is to get the Vypyr and go try out guitars that havve humbucker pick ups. Your budget isn't huge so it's not like you have a lot to choose from, so just get what feels right.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV