My band is going to record soon, and I was wondering what we could do with what we have. We have a 4 track with 2 mic and 2 line inputs and I have 2 USB mics with a couple recording programs. I've tried recording track by track before, but it's goddamn impossible to sync up, and imo it ruins the vibe of a band. We're trying to get everything so we can play at the same time. I was thinking it would be best to do the guitar and bass into the 4 track, with the drums on a USB mic and put the other USB mic on the PA the singer will use. Help/suggestions please!
Honestly, that setup won't work well at all. If you want even a decent recording, you're going to need more than your four track. Recording drums with one mic just doesn't work, as your drums will be in mono, and lack depth. USB mics generally are pretty terrible quality. Also, I'm not sure it's even possible to record with both the four trac and USB mics at the same time.

If you want to record yourself, you're going to want an interface. If you want to record while all playing at the same time, you'll need a minimum of 6 inputs (Guitar, bass, vocals and 2 on drums). You won't be getting a great sound from the drums with minimal knowledge and only 2 mics, but it'll be cheaper than using more mics.

You could track each instrument separately. I'm not quite sure wh you had problems syncing it up, but you would just record the song beginning to end one instrument at a time. Ruining the vibe of live playing is a legitimate concern, though.
Quote by chaosmoon
Honestly, that setup won't work well at all. If you want even a decent recording, you're going to need more than your four track. Recording drums with one mic just doesn't work, as your drums will be in mono, and lack depth. USB mics generally are pretty terrible quality. Also, I'm not sure it's even possible to record with both the four trac and USB mics at the same time.

If you want to record yourself, you're going to want an interface. If you want to record while all playing at the same time, you'll need a minimum of 6 inputs (Guitar, bass, vocals and 2 on drums). You won't be getting a great sound from the drums with minimal knowledge and only 2 mics, but it'll be cheaper than using more mics.

You could track each instrument separately. I'm not quite sure wh you had problems syncing it up, but you would just record the song beginning to end one instrument at a time. Ruining the vibe of live playing is a legitimate concern, though.

My idea was to do two tracks in Adobe Audition, and two tracks on the four track and splice it together in Acid Pro. Which might require overdubbing the vocals, which isn't a huge concern. I was also thinking of just saying **** all the fancy stuff and try one overhead mic in the middle of the room (maybe outside? it sounds good outside... we're in an 8x8 ft room). We tried that before and it worked out with a pretty decent sound, and that was without any effort of putting it in a good spot for recording.