I own a fender mustang and about 4-5 months ago i bought some custom made pickups (single coil passive pickups) but about a month ago i picked up the guitar and the bridge pickup wasnt working so i took it to a local guitar shop that does repairs, the guy rewired the whole guitar, he couldnt find a problem with any of the wireing. when i called him up he told me that he fixed the problem and when he restrung the guitar BOTH the pickups werent working. so i went and picked up the guitar he told me that it has to be the pickups, he said they look fine from the outside but he thinks there is something wrong with the coils on the in side but he is not sure what. he advised me to send them back to the guy who made them and that was my plan but when i got home and just plugged the guitar into an amp to see for myself, the bridge pickup worked but the neck now didnt.... so the original pickup that didnt work, now works and the one that worked now doesnt..... (and no, they were not swapped around, they both have markings of the bottom of each pickup)

im not sure what to do. i live in australia and i could call the guy then pay for them to be sent overseas then when he gets them they might appear to be fine, but when i get them back they might not work again.

does anyone know the problem? these are brand new pickups, installed by someone who knew what they were doing (not me) they worked great for a few months but now, not so much. can anyone help? thanks
You probably should talk to the guy that you bought the pickups from first, see what he thinks.
The first thing I would do is spray some contact cleaner into the pickup selector switch. If the non functioning pickup isn't constant, it sounds like a switch problem to me. Or just replace the switch. They're pretty cheap. If that doesn't fix it I would make sure the tech didn't knock a wire or two loose when he was poking around in there. Pickups are pretty simple circuits, so there aren't many options here... you either have a bad switch, a bad/broken wire, or bad pickup.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
If the volume pot were the problem, it seems like it would be doing it no matter which pickup was selected... TS is saying one pickup works normally, and the other one doesn't at all, and that the non functioning pickup has changed. It really sounds like a switch to me. Hopefully that's it. It's probably the cheapest part to change on your guitar.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Jan 26, 2012,
A shot in the dark but this happened to me in almost the identical manner. Neck pickup just stopped completely one day and refused to come back. Then, randomly in the middle of a gig, they switched and then the bridge pickup disappeared and then neck pickup came back to life. In light of this I thought it must be the switch so I replaced it with a new part but to no avail. However, I had a friend who's a bit of an electrical guru and he had a look at it and found the strangest thing. For some reason one of the pots for tone or volume (I forget which) had turned slightly in it's holdings and was now touching something inside the guitar (I forget what now, it could have been something like foil), but the base of the problem was it was just shorting out. All he had to do was twist it round back by even the tiniest of degrees and the whole thing came back to life and has remained that way ever since. It was very odd and a complete fluke we found it. While I'd say it's unlikely to have happened to you, if you can find nothing wrong with the switch, then this is something else to investigate.
Quote by reevax
A shot in the dark but this happened to me in almost the identical manner. Neck pickup just stopped completely one day and refused to come back. Then, randomly in the middle of a gig, they switched and then the bridge pickup disappeared and then neck pickup came back to life. In light of this I thought it must be the switch so I replaced it with a new part but to no avail. However, I had a friend who's a bit of an electrical guru and he had a look at it and found the strangest thing. For some reason one of the pots for tone or volume (I forget which) had turned slightly in it's holdings and was now touching something inside the guitar (I forget what now, it could have been something like foil), but the base of the problem was it was just shorting out. All he had to do was twist it round back by even the tiniest of degrees and the whole thing came back to life and has remained that way ever since. It was very odd and a complete fluke we found it. While I'd say it's unlikely to have happened to you, if you can find nothing wrong with the switch, then this is something else to investigate.

+1, but...

I'm still confused how this could be the cause considering the faulty pickup changed from bridge to neck (or vice versa)... I mean, it's possible. Electronics can do odd things when they make contact where they're not supposed to.

I suppose in the process of checking it out, your tech could have loosened the pots to test them, and re-tightened them slightly off, causing them to short to another terminal?? Or something like that...

My money is still on the switch, but the pots would be something to look into.

You can take a multi meter and measure the resistance through the pickup to rule it out as a cause. If you don't have an open, then it should be working.

EDIT: one other thing to look for would be exposed bare wire. Like if a bit of insulation is missing, or a component is soldered in and the terminals are able to make contact with another component, or the grounding foil, etc. Having a pickup shorted to ground would probably make it do nothing.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Jan 26, 2012,
Quote by jpatan
+1, but...

I'm still confused how this could be the cause considering the faulty pickup changed from bridge to neck (or vice versa)... I mean, it's possible. Electronics can do odd things when they make contact where they're not supposed to.

I suppose in the process of checking it out, your tech could have loosened the pots to test them, and re-tightened them slightly off, causing them to short to another terminal?? Or something like that...

My money is still on the switch, but the pots would be something to look into.

You can take a multi meter and measure the resistance through the pickup to rule it out as a cause. If you don't have an open, then it should be working.

EDIT: one other thing to look for would be exposed bare wire. Like if a bit of insulation is missing, or a component is soldered in and the terminals are able to make contact with another component, or the grounding foil, etc. Having a pickup shorted to ground would probably make it do nothing.

Yeah it does seem odd. My guess is that either during transit or from aggressively rolling the volume from low to max caused it to twist in this gig ungrounding and bringing the pickup back. I don't know if you're like me but quite often In gigs I find myself trying to turn both volume knobs up mid song, almost as if to check they're cranked even though I know they are. I would imagine that probably contributes to them coming loose. On top of that I had cracked a top hat cover just prior to the incident and replaced it which required a heck of amount of pressure, that also could have pushed it. How they reversed in that instant I'll probably never know, but one would have thought it'd be related.

EDIT - If you want I can ask my mate how he discovered which pot it was linked to. I know he was using a multimeter to test the components, I would imagine it's fairly easy to tell, but that's only really useful if you own a multi-meter...
Last edited by reevax at Jan 26, 2012,
ok, so i took out the pickups, and placed back in the stock ones that came with it. so i guess it has to be them, im going to call the guy tonight
Do you have a multi meter? If you have somewhere around 8-12k ohms resistance (depending on the pickup) through the pickup, then the pickup is almost definitely good.

So it works again with the original pups in it?
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Do you have a multi meter? If you have somewhere around 8-12k ohms resistance (depending on the pickup) through the pickup, then the pickup is almost definitely good.

So it works again with the original pups in it?

hell continuity is all he really needs at this point. worry about the numbers after that. if he gets contanuity likely they are fine, if not, than there could be a short in the wire wrapped around the magnet (coil).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
problem fixed! i talkede to the guy and he told me to heat the litt bits of solder under the pickup, thats all it was and now they work great