Okay, so I want to get a nice little recording set up and I currently don't have the ability to mic up an amp due to volume restrictions at my house and such. Anyhow, I've narrowed it down to Guitar Rig 5 PRO and a POD HD (Desktop). I've checked out the Guitar Rig 5 a bit at my friend's house and messed with it and I really enjoy the Van 51 amp model, but I had difficulties dialing in good tones with the other amp simulations. However, the tones I did achieve were very cool. On the other hand, there's the new POD HD unit. Now, I've owned a POD GX before and I used it extensively in my recordings with great success. But, is the POD HD really much better, or rather, worth the $400? All in all, I don't have the opportunity to try both and I'm wondering if anyone here at UG can chime in and help me out a bit.

I play metal, primarily, in the style of Devourment, Decapitated, Putridity, Periphery, Meshuggah, Deftones, so on and so forth.

I really like what some people call the "djent" tone or something to that effect. Really tight.

Thanks!
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Hi there. I'm one of the few that are in Buck's camp, supporting digital audio rather than bashing it. I have an amp, but due to volume restrictions in my housing environment as well, for home recording I've gone all digital.

I've used the gamut of products out there, Amplitube, ReValver, Guitar Rig and Waves GTR. Guitar Rig is arguably the best, at least in my opinion. Amplitube is a close second. Given what you like playing, it may be of your beneficial interest to check out Amplitube Metal. The Randall and Mesa amp sims in that are ****ing amazing IMHO. Guitar Rig 5 has alot more versatility, since I play prog and fusion, having just metal presets is fairly limiting.

I prefer the user interface and ease of use of a VST-DAW setup rather than an external amp sim going into the DAW. But it makes gigging a pain if you plan on using the sounds outside your studio environment, you need a really good laptop and a really good IO device to boot, but if it's just for home recording, I prefer the software end of things rather than the POD series, but I do from time to time use my XT for just a bit of variation.

As far as problems with tonality, since you have such a hefty amount of control over varying factors of the amp and it's settings, it takes some tweaking and EQing to work with. Also, to get the best bang for your buck out of any software modeler, atleast in my opinion, you've got to use external cab impulses. Check out this link for an explanation on what they are and how to use them.

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2452

Cheers mate!
Last edited by upbeat_x_tech at Jan 25, 2012,
Quote by upbeat_x_tech
Hi there. I'm one of the few that are in Buck's camp, supporting digital audio rather than bashing it. I have an amp, but due to volume restrictions in my housing environment as well, for home recording I've gone all digital.

I've used the gamut of products out there, Amplitube, ReValver, Guitar Rig and Waves GTR. Guitar Rig is arguably the best, at least in my opinion. Amplitube is a close second. Given what you like playing, it may be of your beneficial interest to check out Amplitube Metal. The Randall and Mesa amp sims in that are ****ing amazing IMHO. Guitar Rig 5 has alot more versatility, since I play prog and fusion, having just metal presets is fairly limiting.

I prefer the user interface and ease of use of a VST-DAW setup rather than an external amp sim going into the DAW. But it makes gigging a pain if you plan on using the sounds outside your studio environment, you need a really good laptop and a really good IO device to boot, but if it's just for home recording, I prefer the software end of things rather than the POD series, but I do from time to time use my XT for just a bit of variation.

As far as problems with tonality, since you have such a hefty amount of control over varying factors of the amp and it's settings, it takes some tweaking and EQing to work with. Also, to get the best bang for your buck out of any software modeler, atleast in my opinion, you've got to use external cab impulses. Check out this link for an explanation on what they are and how to use them.

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2452

Cheers mate!

Tons of help! Thanks, man! I think I'm gonna go with Guitar Rig.
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
1967 -- 2001
Just floating another option out there. VSTs! Many of them are free. There is a whole VST thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250&highlight=reaper+guitar+amp

You need some DAW software to load the VST. I use Reaper which is free to try but costs $60 to buy a license. There is also freeware like Audacity.

Biggest thing with a VST is that you have to create your own tone. With something like Amplitube or Guitar Rig you can select from dozens of preconfigured tones.
Personally i use amplitube mainly, dabble with guitar rig, but amplitube just does that bit more for me.

In terms of using VSTs when recording, I really struggle getting it to sound right in the mix. But when i just whack a mic in front of my amp, no problems. There's always something artificial that sticks out....