What would be the best/easiest way to do them? The answers will probably be the generic "Whatever is easier/more comfortable to you" but is there any tricks/tips to make it easier? My specific example would be near the start of the solo of Creeping Death:

S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S   
--22-20-19-17-20-19-17-15-19-17-15-14-17-15-1 
--------------------------------------------- 
S  S  S  E   S  S  S  S  S  S  Q      S   
--15-14-12---------------------------------| 
-----------15--14-12-15-14-12-10-----------| 
---------------------------------12b~----L-| 
-------------------------------------------| 

Would it be easier to do it with 3 or 4 fingers?
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Unless I am mistaken, I think he is asking if there is an formula/rule that designates where to sneak in the hand position shifts for maximum economy of motion...
At least for me , specifically descending runs of 4-note-groups sounds more fluid, even and easier to play with 4 fingers, because if you'd play it with 3 fingers you have to very quickly move your first finger to get from the third to fourth note, but with four fingers you have three times the time to prepare your pinky to change position (while you play the other three notes).
You'll Never Walk Alone!
why da hell would you not use 4 fingers?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Personally I'm not great at 4nps stuff, so I generally do that stuff 3 notes and a shift, as does Yngwie and Brett Garsed. Either way is viable, but if you have smaller hands the 3+shift is easier.
^ oh was it a question of a 3NPS vs a 4NPS system ?
I interpreted it as how to play that lick without modifying it..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Sliding down every 4th note is easiest(22-20-19\17-20-19-17\15). Malmsteen style. You can also stay in one position if you can handle the string changes but using 2-3 fingers/string. 4 fingers/string is not really a guitaristic aproach.