I've recently gotten an Xbox and one of the first games i purchased was Rocksmith in the hopes that it would be just another way to help me progress,learn songs, practice techniques. Overall the interface is good. It changes in difficulty and speed according to how well you play and how quickly you pick up the techniques. I find it a bit hard to learn the songs though. They start slow- only makng you strum a couple notes here and there and working its way to more and more etc. This is in the same format of Guitar Hero where the tablature comes toward you and the next notes/chords can be seen in the background....i don't really like this..I'm so used to having full tablature in front of my face when i want to learn a song instead of having to wait until the game thinks im good enough to progress- also there is no way to slow down the oncoming tablature once youve gotten to the right speed. You can however use the "riff repeater" and other practice modes to get more familiar with pieces of songs...personally i know i would learn the song faster on my own lol i waned to get Guitar Pro for my Mac but my CD ROM is broken I'm still pretty new to the game so maybe it will get better. Has anyone tried the game? I'd like to get other's feedback on how it works and if there is a more efficient way to use it...It's addictive and I find myself using the game instead of real practice! That cant be good..Thoughts?
Quote by fortysixxandtwo
I've recently gotten an Xbox and one of the first games i purchased was Rocksmith in the hopes that it would be just another way to help me progress,learn songs, practice techniques. Overall the interface is good. It changes in difficulty and speed according to how well you play and how quickly you pick up the techniques. I find it a bit hard to learn the songs though. They start slow- only makng you strum a couple notes here and there and working its way to more and more etc. This is in the same format of Guitar Hero where the tablature comes toward you and the next notes/chords can be seen in the background....i don't really like this..I'm so used to having full tablature in front of my face when i want to learn a song instead of having to wait until the game thinks im good enough to progress- also there is no way to slow down the oncoming tablature once youve gotten to the right speed. You can however use the "riff repeater" and other practice modes to get more familiar with pieces of songs...personally i know i would learn the song faster on my own lol i waned to get Guitar Pro for my Mac but my CD ROM is broken I'm still pretty new to the game so maybe it will get better. Has anyone tried the game? I'd like to get other's feedback on how it works and if there is a more efficient way to use it...It's addictive and I find myself using the game instead of real practice! That cant be good..Thoughts?

That's not same at all, in my opinion. It's a game, and should be considered such, it can help you build up basics perhaps, but I don't see this as a substitute to practice.
yes but in theory if you master all of the songs in the game then in turn you are able to play all the notes/chords correctly and on time without any **** ups has to count for something? I'm asking people who actually own the game and have surpassed the beginner levels. Just a thought..and ya I still practice like a bastid but most of the time I don't know the correct way to practice and I end up just trying to learn songs that i like instead of learning different say pentatonic scales or modes.
Quote by fortysixxandtwo
yes but in theory if you master all of the songs in the game then in turn you are able to play all the notes/chords correctly and on time without any **** ups has to count for something? I'm asking people who actually own the game and have surpassed the beginner levels. Just a thought..and ya I still practice like a bastid but most of the time I don't know the correct way to practice and I end up just trying to learn songs that i like instead of learning different say pentatonic scales or modes.

And that is bad?

Scales and modes won't help you if you don't know how to use them.
Very true..and I don't know how to use them. I can make the shapes and commit them to memory but what good is that? I cant afford real teacher- so i guess i lose.
Quote by fortysixxandtwo
Very true..and I don't know how to use them. I can make the shapes and commit them to memory but what good is that? I cant afford real teacher- so i guess i lose.

No you don't.

It all depends on what you want to achieve, but whatever it is finding a teacher is not necessary.
Quote by fortysixxandtwo
i waned to get Guitar Pro for my Mac but my CD ROM is broken

You know you can buy licences for pretty much any serious software developer online dont you? and they usually offer the software as a free trial version ?i have not installed anything from a cd/dvd since i installed Windows 7 a year ago i think.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Do a search as there are a few threads on this game. For me personally that I've been playing about a year when it came out, it certainly helped me be a better player.
Its a fun game. I learned a few songs so I can't complain too much. The note recognition and pattern leveling could be a bit looser (easier) and there are some bugs (saving loop). Dynamic dificulty needs to be optional. When I was leveling up BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper, the notes they were giving me made no sense and it was harder playing the sections until I unlocked the full arpeggio.

Also check out Rock Prodigy if you have an ipad/iphone.
Yes I'm using it. Even went for a part-ex on my 360 for a ps3 so I could play it (not out in the UK yet and the 360 version is region locked).
Only started the guitar a month before getting it and was using learn and master guitar and the dummies book.
Pretty much just playing Rocksmith at the moment and am making quite good progress. Will certainly return to the Learn and master set as that teaches the theory quite well, but Rocksmith is great for getting you familiar with moving about on the fret board and forming chords.
I see it is as one tool of many (books, dvds,internet etc) I will be using to learn the guitar, certainly don’t regret getting it
I have the Xbox 360 version of Rocksmith. I have only been playing guitar for about 6-7 weeks and have been playing the game for the same amount of time. I consider parts of the game to be good for practice. The challenges have helped me learn different techniques and practice them. The Guitarcade gives me some simple games that have helped me learn the fret board and build up strength/stamina/coordination in my fret/pick hands. But to me, the actual song part is just a game. I do not use that to practice songs.

I still believe that standard practice is essential for me. I have the Gibson Learn and Master series. I also plan to take some formal lessons at some point.
Quote by philwhite
Its a fun game. I learned a few songs so I can't complain too much. The note recognition and pattern leveling could be a bit looser (easier) and there are some bugs (saving loop). Dynamic dificulty needs to be optional. When I was leveling up BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper, the notes they were giving me made no sense and it was harder playing the sections until I unlocked the full arpeggio.

Also check out Rock Prodigy if you have an ipad/iphone.

How is Rock Prodigy? I'm curious about feedback. You have to buy an iRig or something similar right?

That same company made an app with Dave Mustaine for 3 Megadeth songs. But I read you don't need the iRig. Have you tried it.
Rock Prodigy is decent. It does the note recognition like Rocksmith but presents the notes like TAB. The song selection could be better but a lot of that probably has to do with licensing. I think if Guitar Pro did note recognition I'd be on cloud nine. All of these programs are getting closer but need another generation or two of development to get there.

And yeah you do need an adapter if your on an electric. The iRig works fine. It's pretty useful because you can use it for Garage Band or whatever if you just want to rock out without disturbing your neighbors.
Last edited by philwhite at Jan 26, 2012,
I see it as a Guitar Game only, not in the same group as Rock band etc sense most of those players wont be able to easily transition. I'm loving it though for what it is, Pedal Unlocks, Amp unlocks etc, basically taking TABs and GAS and making it into a game...I wish my GAS was settled in a game setting...Get a high score and Guitar Center gives you an Alex Lifeson signature H&K head??? one could pray!
I'm a little weary of those kinds of games. There's nothing wrong with playing them, but in my honest opinon, if you're going to get past the basic stages of guitar and become a "good" guitar player, you're going to need to spend more time with the actual instrument and play it. Play the game since you've bought it, but please, please, remember to practice as well. Make practicing as attractive as playing the game by choosing to improve your technique by learning songs that you enjoy to listen to. That's what got me going!

Good luck and cheers!
Satellites+Stars
That's the good thing about Rocksmith, you are spending time with the actual instrument and it certainly encourages practice.
There's a built in freestyle mode with many combinations of pedals, amps, and cabinets. Plus you can unlock and use the actual tones of the songs in the game. Like when I feel like playing with super heavy distortion I use the tone from Breed by Nirvana. Normally when I play, I'll tune with my own tuner but my home theater is my amp (no lag!). Then I'll do my warmup exercises, practice some techniques, practice some songs outside the game, practice songs in the game, and/or do the arcade exercises within the game like scales, tremolo picking, chord changing practice, etc. If used right you can get a nice education from the game. Obviously I'd recommend lessons from a real dude too.

Oh and they're teasing bass support
I have rocksmith, Its fun, its a game, I hate the lag. I think The game might help you get more comfortable with the guitar but I would not substitute it for practice or lessons.

Doom878, How did you hook up to your home theater system? I have a yamaha receiver/amp with lots of speakers. Did you use the standard yellow red white hookup? or go from xbox hdmi to receiver hdmi to tv? I
I have a PS3, a Sony CT150 which is a soundbar and sub with HDMI video/audio. PS3 via HDMI to Sony CT150. LCD TV via HDMI to Sony CT150. Never had a problem with the lag.
You can learn the freebird solo on rocksmith ... FREEBIRD!!!I mean that is serious shit man!it's a fun game!
Many of the songs are actually MORE accurate than the tabs I find on this website believe it or not. Ubisoft isnt F@cking around. If you take Rocksmith for what it is (A video game) and use it appropriately, WITH outside practice of chords, scales, other songs/ concepts, Rocksmith is actually a viable way to unwind from boring practice and play something WHILE learning. But by itself it cannot teach you to play guitar. For me I have found the best thing is that it has taught me to play songs correctly.

What I do is on days when Im not into practicing formally, I play Rocksmith, because its somewhat productive. But by no means do I rely upon it 100%. It really is just a more advanced form of Guitar-Pro.

On that note, I would love to see the game come out for PC where others can modify the game and implement their own tab structures into the game.

Let me know if you have any other questions about rocksmith. Ill keep checking this thread.
Not to completely derail the thread but theres a new game in the works for Xbox called BandFuse. Seems to be a similar concept as Rocksmith except it has a different interface thats based more on tab. Looks interesting. http://www.bandfuse.com/main/about

Quote by 4ofus
Not to completely derail the thread but theres a new game in the works for Xbox called BandFuse. Seems to be a similar concept as Rocksmith except it has a different interface thats based more on tab. Looks interesting. http://www.bandfuse.com/main/about

Hmm looks interesting. Im content with Rocksmith now, but well see how it fares. Looks kind of low-budget though.
What the **** am i reading? I don't even..

Not even gonna post in this thread..
Looks cool

I'll probably get RockSmith when it's available in my area, for fun
I've played too much Guitar Hero/Rock Band and, well, it gets very repetitive and aside from learning some rhythm and strumming patterns it's not really useful for guitar unfortunately. The good thing is it should spawn a lot of interest in both guitar playing and rock music, so a decade from here we might have some great musicians who got into music from a video game!

I hope RS is fun and somewhat educational at the same time, and the BandFuse looks interesting as well.
Except that people play the games too much instead of real practice for skill and creativity, I think these music games are a great thing. This guy called nicknamed GHPhenom was of the best in these types of games, and if you search youtube he's playing Holy Wars on both GH and on real guitar as well, it's pretty cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfSnHYbu0Gs&feature=related
Last edited by fanapathy at Mar 3, 2012,
Guitar Hero is dead, the fad's over.

People were listening to guitar music and excited by the guitar for over 60 years before Guitar Hero came about, they'll stiill will be when it's been forgotten about.

Guitar Hero was popular because the guitar is popular, not the other way round.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Not crazy about the GUI of that new game. Sure it's in tab view, which I can read, but at the speed of a song it will be difficult to correctly track and then translate into your hands. Rock Band 3 had this problem even though it was a vertical tab. The good thing about Rocksmith's GUI is that it's the shape of the fretboard so you make the shapes rather than a set of numbers. I'll be playing RB3 pro mode and then see a 6, 8, or 9 and have to look at it a little harder since the numbers while moving look very similar. Mind you this is on a 60" TV and I don't need glasses.
I think a lot of rocksmith haters havent any time with it. Scale runner, super ducks, and dawn of the chordead have helped me a lot. Sure, yea playin this game alone wont make me the next jimmy page. But it does provide good foundation. Being self taught is hard, and its not a proxy for a teacher. its a tool.
but, haters gonna hate.
I did learn to play breed and in bloom though.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Rocksmith forces you to use their level up system which is flawed to say the least. If they had a mode that let you play unlocked songs and speed/slow them down I'd be much happier. Also I think it does a poor job of registering bends. I'm taking a break for now.
Quote by philwhite
Rocksmith forces you to use their level up system which is flawed to say the least. If they had a mode that let you play unlocked songs and speed/slow them down I'd be much happier. Also I think it does a poor job of registering bends. I'm taking a break for now.

They recently did an update (on the PS3 at least) where in the leveler on the riff repeater you can go into the pause menu and move the difficulty up and down so you can level up significantly faster.

As far as registering the bends it does do a terrible job of registering those, but I never expected anything like that to be perfect.
I've never played Rocksmith, but the way I see it some people will be able to use it as a fun way to practice and learn what the game has to offer about guitar. However, anyone who thinks they'll become a great guitarist just from playing the game is an absolute imbecile.

Overall, I look at it as something that could be used as a fun, engaging learning tool, but for someone who strives to be a good guitarist it needs to be used as something to augment more traditional learning methods.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I've just looked at this game, I personally believe it's the worst thing I have ever seen... some of the ideas are good, but lets be serious it can't really help that much for someone that already knows how to play guitar to a certain level... maybe for an absolute beginner learning scales, chords and just basic songs... but you'll get stuck at a point on the game where you won't improve anymore... if you want to learn guitar, get a guitar teacher..
Ive had the game 3 or 4 days now Ive been playing for almost 10 years. I would say Its Awesome! It Rocks! Its very fun! I cant believe it works as well as it does!

I think its great for someone that already knows how to play the guitar. Theres so many songs, A few awesome instrumentals Iv played already.

Its got a few little solos so far aswell

Great for endurance practice, It really moves me along the fretboard. Helps navigate the fretboard without looking aswell.

It has been very difficult on any unknown song. Its not set up to practice. You have to go into events and songs and work with the riff repeater before even playing the song or you'll qualify and preform the song without getting to learn it.

the low E string is on top so its upside down. I think thats stupid. any guitarist working with them must have been an idiot. Its not to bad but I just think it should have been right. I know it seems upside down to a beginner. But HOLD your guitar. Now Look Down at it. High E is on top!

Most of the mini-games suck. scale runner is ok. but the rest are random sounding non sense. I think every guitarist has already played enough of that have we not? hahaha.

But I still think its awesome. they show videos demos and stuff. The only thing they dont do is mention how important it is not to force yourself through the techniques as far as I know.

Im self taught I dont care what others think it can be done.

You run into a barrier be Patience happens to everyone

For the gamers STUPID mistake with the upsidedownness 7/10

EDIT>>>>Turns out you can go into setting and flip the tabs. guess there not as dumb as I thought..oops 9/10
Last edited by metalmetalhead at Jul 19, 2012,
In a way I'm envious of all the resources for aspiring players. I improved more in the last couple of years thanks to Youtube lessons, Guitar pro software, and sites like this.

When I started I had a family friend show me some barre chords and scales and then I spent the next few years reading tab books and learning by ear. I developed so many horrible habits.